babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: Politics.  
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Warsaw Ghetto/Palistine comparison

Author Topic: Warsaw Ghetto/Palistine comparison
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 26 April 2002 12:26 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
As I have no idea where a good place for this topic would be I have started it here. If the movers and shakers feel it would be better relocated by all means do that voodoo that you do so well.

The comparison between the Warsaw Ghetto uprising and the Palistinian\Israeli war (if we can call it that) is inaccurate for a number of reasons.

If we look back to the beginning of either issue we can see that in the Poland issue the Nazis were the aggressors, in the Palistine issue the four invading countries were Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, and Jordan. All land that was annexed was bordering on these countries borders. As Palistinians refused those lands as a Palistinian state, Israel walked through those lands to push the invading countries back to their boarders. Then occupied those lands to prevent further aggression on Israel.

On April 28, 1939, in a speech in Wilhelmshaven, Hitler abrogated Germany’s 1934 non-aggression pact with Poland, which was intended to be effective for ten years, pronouncing it anti-German and inconsistent with the “encirclement policy.” The “encirclement policy” referred to isolating Poland as much as possible
and the avoidance of a two - front struggle by reaching an understanding with the Russians. Poland turned to Great Britain and expressed its willingness to join London, France and Moscow in a common front against Germany.

Viacheslav Molotov, the Soviet People’s Commissar for Foreign Affairs, and Joachim von Ribbentrop, the German foreign minister, agreed after hasty negotiations to conclude an economic treaty and a
non-aggression pact that would partition Eastern Europe into Soviet and German spheres of influence.

Ribbentrop signed the non-aggression pact during a visit to Moscow on August 23, 1939. The sides
undertook neither to attack each other, nor to help any third party do the same. They agreed to settle bilateral disputes cordially. The treaty was to be in effect for 10 years.

After creating a series of provocations, Germany attacked Poland on September 1. The Wehrmacht, which enveloped the country from the west, the north, and the south, outnumbered the Polish forces three to one and had superior equipment. The invasion revealed the German fighting method for the first time: the blitzkrieg, cooperation among naval, air, and ground forces to concurrently attack and surround the enemy
extremely rapidly. In response to the invasion, France and Great Britain declared war on Germany on September 3, but took no military measures on Poland’s behalf. Warsaw succumbed on September 28, and the last fighting took place in the first few days of October.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 26 April 2002 12:36 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh no you don't. I'm not moderating a discussion on Israel. I signed up for fluff. For silliness. For lightheartedness.

Back to politics you go!

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 26 April 2002 12:39 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thread moved here
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca