babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » No more pencils, no more books...

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: No more pencils, no more books...
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 April 2002 11:48 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, I'm free at last!

I just finished my last exam an hour ago. Second year is officially DONE! Woo hoo!

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 23 April 2002 12:05 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey way to go Michelle! Nice day for it too although it's still a little chilly. Are you doing a third year? Hope there is time for a break so that you and your boy can spend some extra time having fun.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 April 2002 12:12 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm doing a third year and a fourth year. Then hopefully law school. We'll see about that though.

Not much of a break I'm afraid - summer session starts on May 6th. But heck, that's a couple of weeks away, and I'm free like a lark until then.

Not only that, but I think I did really well on my exam today. I don't like to say that I aced it, because then I'll jinx it, but...well, I think I did a lot better than I was expecting. She asked just the right questions, exactly what I studied and found easiest to "get".

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 23 April 2002 04:59 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I've been done my exams for a week now, so ha.

Incidentally, my calculus exam asked MOST of the "right" questions. "Set up but do not evaluate the integral" is music to my eyes.

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 23 April 2002 05:47 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My sister will be back home in less than a week! Yay!

Unfortunately, I've got until June 15th, then exams start...

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 April 2002 06:15 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, Doc, that was pretty much Greek to me. But here, back atcha:

"Explain the epistemological significance of Descartes' "cogito" argument. What does it show, and how does it show it?"

"Explain how Berkeley argues from empiricist premises to idealist conclusions. Explain why, according to Berkeley, far from leading to scepticism, idealism refutes it."

And finally, my favorite:

"Explain Quine's argument against verificationism. Explain Quine's argument that there are no analytic truths."

I was so happy that these questions were on the exam! I got, like, 30 study questions, and we were told that 6 of them would be on the exam, and we would have to answer three. And my three favorite ones were there! I was so impressed.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 23 April 2002 06:19 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, Michelle.

So now you're free to babble full time for a while?

I'm happy for you, I really am. No, seriously, all you students who now have months and months off in the gorgeous weather, honest, I'm so happy for you. I can barely contain my joy.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 April 2002 06:26 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hee. I have two weeks before my summer courses begin, actually, and if it weren't for taking summer courses, I would be scrambling to find a full time job. So don't be too jealous.

And, uh, oh HAR on the full time babbling thing. Like I don't do that ANYHOW. I hate when life intrudes on my babbling time. heh.

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 23 April 2002 06:31 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Michelle. I just started another non-credit French class, so I'm still studying.

And working....

I miss school.

From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 April 2002 06:33 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you? Funny, I'm feeling a little burned out on school myself.

I'm hoping that the introductory German course I'm taking this July and August will be a pleasant change from the -ologies and -isms I've been inundated with for two years straight.

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 23 April 2002 06:58 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No doubt! Sometimes a change is as good as a rest.

Me, I'm itching to go back for my MFA.... They didn't offer them at this university when I graduated (at least, not in the discipline I'm interested in), otherwise, I'd have done it years ago. But full-time school, doing my own projects (not optional!) and two small kids would be too much. I'm trying to talk the dept. head into letting me do it part-time.

Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 23 April 2002 07:37 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmm, an MFA eh? Did you check out the current show at the Kendardine?

I miss being a student myself. I love the smell of the stacks in the morning.

I still have a meeting with a plagiarist...and beyond?

"...John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
Plato, they say, could stick it away -
Half a crate of whiskey every day.
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle.
Hobbes was fond of his dram,

And René Descartes was a drunken fart.
'I drink, therefore I am.'

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker,
But a bugger when he's pissed."

From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 23 April 2002 07:43 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*rolling on floor laughing smiley*

LOL, Arch!!!!

You know, the blond guy knew I was the woman for him when he realized I knew the words to that very ditty!

Sadly, I am not in Saskatoon, so I haven't been to the Kendardine in quite some time. I'm down in Regina. I'm hoping to take an MFA in Media down here someday. I'm currently a filmmaker/writer/producer, running my own small production company.

You have to meet with your plagiarist? (I followed the thread, but didn't comment) Hope it goes well. I hate that kind of tension. I also hate people who take up space when they're not interested in learning.

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: Zoot Capri ]

SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 23 April 2002 09:41 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ahem, Doc Conway, I do want to take calc, if you don't mind. .

I have school until June twenty something, and then I have 6 weeks of Army Cadet summer training: Army Cadet Leader course at CSTC Blackdown. That should be fun.

From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 23 April 2002 09:53 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*giggling at SamL* You think that's bad? Wait till I do linear algebra and start blabbering about dot products and cross products and matrix inversion and all that stuff.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 23 April 2002 09:56 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dot-products? You mean of vectors? I've done those.

I'm the cross of 2 education systems, and all of the screw-ups, gaps, overlaps, and the pros and cons of each have all worked out immensely in my favour.

Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 23 April 2002 10:07 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
You have to meet with your plagiarist?

Only one of them. He might have a faint excuse. The other one is going straight into the wringer.

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 23 April 2002 10:54 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeesh. Sucks to have to be the bad guy....

But you know, we make our choices and we learn about consequences... Apparently these guys didn't pick up that lesson in kindergarten.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 April 2002 11:35 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, this is so funny. You MUST go listen to this:

Supererogationisticextraobligation!

Here are the words if you want to follow along: click

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 24 April 2002 12:17 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The dot product and cross product are given in physics as a method of multiplying vectors that don't point in the same direction, but the theory behind them has to do with how you manipulate matrices. *evil grin*
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 April 2002 01:00 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, more philosophy parody songs. Sorry, but these are a scream and I'm going to indulge myself since it's my thread.

We didn't start inquiry - to the tune of We Didn't Start the Fire. Lyrics

Readin' Kripke - to the tune of Makin' Whoopie. Lyrics (this one is really funny)

The rest of the songs from the main page I got them from.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 April 2002 09:15 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Michelle, which discipline are you actually majoring in? The longer I read you, the more I come to fear you.

And Arch:

quote:
I love the smell of the stacks in the morning.

Except: first I laughed, but then I felt that old fist-clenched-in-the-stomach feeling. So many books, so little brain (moi, ie) -- that feeling.

There was a time when I had paced one floor of Robarts so much that I knew just about every shelf in PR and PQ -- hadn't read the books, mind, but I knew where they all were. Ah, youth.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 April 2002 09:22 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm majoring in philosophy. I don't get it...did my post imply I was majoring in something else?
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 April 2002 09:28 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, no -- semi-kidding (just semi, mind: I'm still scared ) -- but in the past you've also seemed to know so many poli sci and sosh classics, I think I was assuming you were in one of those departments. Good things, good things, all of them, no question! But man, you've covered a lot of territoire, Michelle.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 April 2002 09:36 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I've had quite a smattering of liberal arts courses, so you know what they say - a little learning is a dangerous thing. Heh. I took both soc and polisci first year courses, as well as world religion, economics, women's studies, and philosophy. I've taken a second year women's studies course, and the rest of my second year has been philosophy courses only - oh, and I did a 3rd year philosophy course this semester that was so interesting.

However, there is so much crossover in all these subjects that in philosophy we end up reading some of the same theorists that you read in soc and polisci, and I'm sure students in those courses end up reading at least portions of philosophical works such as The Republic and the like.

I like philosophy, though, because you don't have to pore over statistics and do major library research for it - at least we haven't had to yet. There haven't been any research projects in philosophy yet for me. I'm hoping it stays that way. Basically, you do a s--tload of reading and then write essays on what you've read that demonstrates you've understood it - while adding your own opinion. Kind of cool if you ask me. None of this real world of research stuff. hee.

Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 25 April 2002 02:02 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I knew just about every shelf in PR and PQ -- hadn't read the books, mind, but I knew where they all were. Ah, youth.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

PR and PQ are elsewhere? But of course...Dewey and his decimals! What lurks behind the spine of "Roger Roister Doister" anyway?

I took a philosophy class once. I did OK on the exams but got incredibly high marks on my two essays. I researched like a fiend. I wrote on two very sympathetic thinkers, Martin Buber and Freddy Nietzsche, so I became wrapped right up in studying their writing. I was reading Nietszche all the time (someone suggested to Michelle that she read related material as a form of recreation that would be of scholarly benefit. Great idea - I read Nietszche; he's a gas. Witty, funny, precise and sometimes crazy).

My point? Yes...I did a lot of research for a philosophy class...[shuffles off, muttering, "I am Dionysus...and THE CRUCIFIED"]...

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 25 April 2002 02:44 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I did a philosophy course way back in the day - did OK in the course, but not spectacular. My best essay was one on why anarchism was great in theory and bad in practice, by defending the basis of Hobbesian social contract theory.
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 25 April 2002 03:22 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So that's the way it's going to be, is it, Doc?

A Hobbesian!

Indeed.

Well, henceforth consider that all of me is at war with all of you, you solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, short person, you!

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 25 April 2002 12:36 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dramatic Lit and Film Studies, oddly enough, take you through some of the strangest places... Philosophy, psychoanalysis, political movements...

Aristotle is essential to understanding structure and form in playwriting/screenwriting. I spent lots of time on that, still use it. Most movies made in the Western world still use Aristotelian narrative, most without even knowing it.

NOW you lot have done it.... I REALLY want to go back to school....

SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 25 April 2002 01:08 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I REALLY want to go back to school....

I know I'm weird for it, especially being in high-school, but I never want to leave!

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 25 April 2002 04:53 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't want to stop going to school when I was in high school, either. Well, I wanted to leave high school, but I was seriously looking forward to university.

And after 7 1/2 years in university, I thought I'd better earn some money. But I've always missed university since.

Although I have to say, the students are looking way too young these days.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 March 2003 03:12 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hee. Bump.

quote:
Well, henceforth consider that all of me is at war with all of you, you solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, short person, you!

Speaking of which Arch, I need to point out that I mainly consider myself a Hobbesian social contract theorist due to the attractively, bluntly simple nature of the basis for it. Rousseauian social contract theory always struck me as a little too bizarre with the "will of all" versus the "general will" and all that.

Hobbes is simple: "The state of nature is that of warre, as of every man against every other man"

The basic point is that people give up their right to maim, choke, gash and kill each other in exchange for protection by the Leviathan, which, to Hobbes, meant the king or queen, but I see no inherent difficulty in substituting the modern democratic state as the Leviathan, since the principle is the same, and even more valid. We choose to give up certain rights in exchange for the obligation of the Leviathan to protect all under its social contract from invaders without and corruption within.

If that's the case, then there is no reason why anarchists should claim that the state is illegitimate if we have all implicitly accepted the social contract.

Anyway, I passed linear algebra by the skin of my teeth, as an update, and got decentish grades in my other chemistry courses. I'm now heading into a multivariable calculus final two weeks from now, and my other courses have finals in that same time period.

Wish me luck!

googlymoogly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3819

posted 29 March 2003 03:17 PM      Profile for googlymoogly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
good luck, Dr.
I'm in undergrad law (just finishing 2nd year) myself. I did it to see if i would find law interesting at all should I decide to go to law school. I like what we're doing now, but every prof I've talked to says that law school at the graduate level is basically devoid of any critical thinking, which is something I really enjoy I'm not so sure anymore

From: the fiery bowels of hell | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 March 2003 03:27 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You could always try teaching law instead of doing law.
googlymoogly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3819

posted 29 March 2003 03:33 PM      Profile for googlymoogly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
True. Carleton does have a good Masters in Legal Studies program; I might do that instead of an LLB MAny of my law professors have been lawyers in the past though; I know that isn't a written requirement anywhere; I'll have to find out more about that..
From: the fiery bowels of hell | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 29 March 2003 03:35 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've managed to boost my grades 5-7% from last year! Woot!
Jobes
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2579

posted 29 March 2003 03:51 PM      Profile for Jobes     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Beauty...to what?

I boosted mine a good 9%.

From: Oakville, ON, Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 29 March 2003 03:55 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have classmates who check out this forum you know! I can't disclose that here!
Jobes
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2579

posted 29 March 2003 04:02 PM      Profile for Jobes     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lol -- I should have known!

Anyone from school post often?

From: Oakville, ON, Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca