FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Troll thread

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Troll thread
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 22 April 2002 10:15 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why don't we start a Troll thread? Automatically AK2 and ilk will be knocked over to the Troll thread. When we get them all together we can bounce them back from whence they came.

I am sure some computer whiz could figger out how to do it.

[ April 22, 2002: Message edited by: clersal ]

From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 22 April 2002 12:02 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or how about we just ignore them, and post around them, responding to each other's posts but not to the trolling messages?

Nah, that would be too easy. After all, there are too many people on babble who seem to like going around the mulberry bush with the trolls.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
writer
editor emeritus
Babbler # 2513

posted 22 April 2002 01:10 PM      Profile for writer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How about e-mailing audra at audra@rabble.ca if you've got a concern and letting her do her job, rather than pulling the board down with flame wars?
Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 22 April 2002 01:15 PM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nah, that would be too easy.

Actually it's not that easy for some of us, especially when the trolls start throwing around unfounded personal accusations. When someone falsely accuses me of something, my natural instinct is to say that the accusation is untrue, and to back it up with proof.

I don't enjoy having my views misrepresented and having my name dragged through the mud. Even though it's not my real name, lots of people know that I use Andy Social as a nickname.

And sometimes it's not apparent right away that the person is a troll, especially when the poster keeps changing his name. Then once a conversation has started, it can be difficult to cut it off cold turkey, without any resolution.

[ April 22, 2002: Message edited by: Andy Social ]

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 22 April 2002 01:52 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is where the Zen of troll detection comes in, young sensei. Close your eyes and picture the source of the post you are considering a follow up to. Visualize carefully first the eyes, then the nose, and finally the entire face of the poster with your inner eye. If the eyes are purple, the nose has warts, and the skin is a pallid green colour, hold off on your keystrokes, and save your response for someone who is actually interested in discourse. If you picture a smiling Pamela Anderson Lee, close the XXX site you've opened as a side activity.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 22 April 2002 03:14 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's great! That's hall of fame material, non?
From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 22 April 2002 04:32 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or, or, or, maybe, maybe, maybe. A Troll doll we can stick pins in. I know we shouldn't reply but the fingers sometimes work faster on the keyboard than the mind does to think.
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 22 April 2002 04:51 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I dunno, I just scroll past the buggers...
From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 22 April 2002 07:49 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I should do the same. I know I should not reply and yet.......I would not last long as a fish. Just to add, as MB suggested. It would be fun if somehow Babble could recognize a Troll and whip him, her away to their own thread. Off to cyber space they would go. Oh well maybe next year.

[ April 22, 2002: Message edited by: clersal ]

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 22 April 2002 10:37 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that does sort of happen, Clersal. Certain threads become Troll free for alls and I think they can be fun. Not every thread has to be given over to substantive debate, and I dunno... I just think it's fun to engage in meaningless mean debate sometimes.

I think maybe veterans of message boards who have had their skin thickened over time, and are immune from whatever a Troll might say find it a sport.

Please, don't take my fun away........

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 23 April 2002 03:53 PM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You want to see an extreme example of trolling? Check out this Magnus Volk character on the Michael Moore forum.
He's like the worst troll banned from babble turned up a notch. Yikes!

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M20712EB

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: Andy Social ]

annie.victoria
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2341

posted 23 April 2002 04:42 PM      Profile for annie.victoria     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Its also a good example of being an ignorant creep.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca