babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » What was your Cabbage Patch Kid's name?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: What was your Cabbage Patch Kid's name?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 21 April 2002 09:45 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mine was Russell Maximillion.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 22 April 2002 03:11 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Your what's name?!?!?
From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 22 April 2002 03:19 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cabbage Patch.

Back in the 80's it was all the rage to abandon new borns in cabbage patches. Then, others, would scrammble about through the cabbage patches seeking the newly established orphans.

It had become so wide spread a fad, in fact, cabbage prices rose 80% as baby hunters left patches in ruins. There was also a 60% increase in the cost of kale as a result of those hunters who could not tell the difference.

Fortunately, the trend died out after a few short years. The social costs were heavy, however, and not just because cabbage was more expensive. Parents who found the cabbage patch dolls, as they came to be known, handed them off to their own offspring to be raised. Consequently, there is an entire generation of young adults with no greater education then the lyrics of several Michael Jackson hits. As well, farmers unkowingly plowed some unclaimed "dolls" back into the soil and many, who survived, are now routinely misidentified as "Big Foots" despite their not having big feet at all.

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 22 April 2002 03:29 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't have a Cabbage Patch doll, but my daughter has one by the name of Yuka Mona. She sings.
From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 22 April 2002 03:40 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm still laughing at WingNut's fairy tale. Although, I think that WAS the marketing ploy with cabbage patch kids, right? That they came from a cabbage patch, needing nice boys and girls to "adopt" them into a loving toybox.

Seriously, SamL, cabbage patch kids were extraordinarily ugly (but somewhat cute too) dolls that were supposed to all be unique (if you had an "original") and would each come with their own "birth certificates" and unique names. You could actually send their birth certificate back to the company and order a new one with the first two original names plus your own last name tacked on the end. I never did that with mine.

Anyhow, they were a big fad. The first Christmas they came out, parents were rioting in the stores trying to get their hands on one. It was like, a store would advertise a shipment, and parents would be lined up outside the store before it opened, glaring at each other and ready to trample down anyone who got in their way to the toy section as long as they got their cabbage patch kid.

It was unbelievable. I ended up getting mine a few months after Christmas because my parents were smart enough not to get caught up in the stupidity. Think Tickle-Me-Elmo craze multiplied by about 40.

P.S. Cabbage Patch Kids SING now? Blasphemy! I have an ORIGINAL. I'm a purist. hee hee

[ April 22, 2002: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2279

posted 22 April 2002 03:43 PM      Profile for Alix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think mine was Fannie May.

My parents refused to get one for me, but an aunt got me one for my birthday.

Did you know if you leave them out in the sun, their normally hard faces get unpleasantly warm and squishy?

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 22 April 2002 03:45 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I just wanted an ordinary baby Cabbage Patch doll, like I got for my niece years ago, because little kids just love them. But they were sold out, and Yuka Mona was one of the two dolls left, right at Christmas.

The singing function is darned popular, though. The girls are starting to fight over her, I might have to find another one for Ms T.

Who can resist a dolly that says "I love you"?

[ April 22, 2002: Message edited by: Zoot Capri ]

From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 22 April 2002 03:50 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are they still pretty popular among the young folk, Zoot?

And yeah, Alix, now that you mention it, I seem to remember that they do get squishy. I'd forgotten about that? Geez, I wonder what those things are MADE of.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca