babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » My latest flight on Air Monopoly

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: My latest flight on Air Monopoly
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 19 April 2002 10:55 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah, how I love to fly with our friendly monopoly. Why just three weeks ago I had to fly to St. John's from Halifax for meetings, and I had the joy of watching Air Monopoly's centrist intelligence at work.

Let me begin with the delicious cuisine. My $620 return ticket comes with a truly gourmet choice of (a) 7 pretzels, (b) 14 honey-glazed peanuts, or (c) the block of cheese I stuck in the top of my carry-on. I opted for the pretzels, saving the cheese for possible emergency rations.

The film of choice was a dandy made-for-TV movie about the life of the author of "The Valley of the Dolls". A truly vapid book, and a truly vapid movie. Nonetheless, given the choice of easy-listening rock, talk radio (not CBC!), or the movie, I choose the movie. Now I know that Air Monopoly cannot control the quality of individual movies, but the story, acting, and cinematography of this film were so bad that I switched to the French translation after 5 minutes just to keep myself interested. This is where the brilliant planning of Air Monopoly came into play. I don't imagine anyone on the flight was actually involved in the film, but if they were, their hopes for a conclusion were dashed. You see, the film had a running time of 93 minutes, but the flight from Halifax to St. John's takes a mere 75 minutes. Now that's attention to detail.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 19 April 2002 10:59 AM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 19 April 2002 11:00 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Imagine Sarcasmobri if the flight had lasted longer. Horrors!
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 19 April 2002 11:07 AM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just be happy they didn't cancel your flight and leave you stranded at the airport for 6 hours.
From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 19 April 2002 11:11 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe he would have had a better meal and movie.
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 19 April 2002 11:12 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The flight to Toronto at the gate next to ours was cancelled. Lucky buggers.

[ April 19, 2002: Message edited by: Sarcasmobri ]

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 19 April 2002 01:11 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think media outlets are lurking on Rabble for story ideas...
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 19 April 2002 01:17 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
WestJet Airlines of Calgary, Canada's only profitable airline last year and currently the country's second-largest carrier after Air Canada, accounted for fewer than one per cent of all complaints.

The only complaint I've ever had against these folks is the quality of their "jokes," but they seem to have take this to heart lately.

On the other hand, on one WestJet flight I took, a flight attendant sang us this little ditty, to the tune of "This Old Man," while we were taxiing to the gate:

"We love you
you love us
WestJet's faster than the bus
We have style and personality
Marry one of us and you fly for free,"

which got a hearty round of applause.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 19 April 2002 01:36 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"We love you
you love us
WestJet's faster than the bus
We have style and personality
Marry one of us and you fly for free,"

I loved it when they did that. The last time I flew with them, they got everyone to close they're window covers and sang a lullabye prior to take off.

They only charge $75 to take your cat on board, compared to AC's $185 last time I checked.

Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 19 April 2002 03:00 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Air Canada's launching another airline. Yeesh: http://www.nationalpost.com/financialpost/bizwire/story.html?f=/financialpost/bizwire/stories/20020419/business-503022.html
From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca