babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Babble Quote Hall of Fame II

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Babble Quote Hall of Fame II
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 10 April 2002 08:50 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is a continuation of the Babble Quote Hall of Fame.

Just thought we could use a new thread.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 11 April 2002 02:16 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If mere pastness were enough to convert, say, a war criminal into a candidate for sainthood, then Henry Kissinger would fart in jasmine.

'lance, with a zinger supremo on this thread.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 11 April 2002 05:15 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You beat me to it, Dr C. Great minds, eh?
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 11 April 2002 05:54 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks, guys .

A propos of... something or other, I really dig how the New York Times has taken to referring to him as "Henry A. Kissinger." Reminds me of how those accused of crimes end up getting known by their full names -- in life, if we can believe Don DeLillo, Lee Harvey Oswald was just plain Lee Oswald.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 12 April 2002 10:39 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I mean, please, just how gullible are people? The alliance is made up of politicians denying they are politicians! My God! The first thing they ever said was a lie! How could anyone expect more?

Wingnut, commenting on integrity in politics, in this thread.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 12 April 2002 02:54 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
skdadl, addressing the question of whether banned babblers get to appeal...

quote:
If reincarnation may be said to be appealing, I suppose they do.

... over here.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trespasser
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1204

posted 12 April 2002 06:10 PM      Profile for Trespasser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
D'ye think there's some way to work "Harpies" in there?

Skdadl's 'punstery' links Harper supporters with winged monsters from Ancient Greek mythology that carried off persons to the underworld and punished and tormented them.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 16 April 2002 10:34 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
In addition to the mistakes they actually made, if a gull farted over Lake Ontario, it was generally assumed that Bob Rae had force-fed it chili.

Rebecca West combines non-linear ("chaos") theory with political analysis, over here.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 17 April 2002 03:16 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If I turn forty and spot all the teeny-boppers with these things, I'm gonna do the standard middle-age critique and proclaim our youth is lost and has absolutely no sense whatsoever.

We're hoping he means "When I turn forty...", but anyway, it's the immortal clockwork, with an evergreen fashion critique, over here.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 17 April 2002 04:08 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
What we have in Ontario is the Colonel Sanders Syndrome. The chickens are voting for the very people who are having them for lunch just because the Colonel looks like such a nice man.

Pimji in the old Bob Rae thread, long before the Babble Quote Hall of Fame was created, commenting on the success of the Mike Harris Tories.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 April 2002 11:42 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
It doesn't seem likely that a former premier could be more ignorant of politics than I am, so the only explanation left to me is that Rae has decided to make a bold career move and grab his ankles for the mandarins of the World Order.

Jacob Two-Two in the NEW Bob Rae thread, commenting on Bob Rae's career path over the recent years.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 18 April 2002 01:05 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Heres my allegation. that the only reason that protesters want to end WHINSEC is that they want Central and South American police to have less training to make it easier for revolutionaries to overthrow governments.

Markbo, truth-teller extraordinaire, bravely exposes another hidden agenda, on Another Chile?

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 18 April 2002 05:38 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Heres my allegation. that the only reason that protesters want to end WHINSEC is that they want Central and South American police to have less training to make it easier for revolutionaries to overthrow governments."

That's a good one! In the Chilean example, though, it was the torturers who overthrew the government.

I know it is hard for some to conceive that torture might be objectionable, per se, and not in furtherance of a political objective. In that, you agree with Stalin.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 April 2002 05:55 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Argh! Just quotes! No arguments! Go to the Chile thread!
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 18 April 2002 08:47 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Would it be out of line to say "chile today, hot tamale"?
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Markbo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 124

posted 20 April 2002 03:24 PM      Profile for Markbo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey I said my quote was an allegation, never said it was a proven fact. ALthough my question as to your motives still remain unanswered on the "School of the America's thread."

Did I strike a nerve here???

try linking here to answer or admit I'm right

[ April 20, 2002: Message edited by: Markbo ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 20 April 2002 03:45 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
a Liberal department that's little more than a Mulroneyesque lawnjockey for the Bush administration.

I like Rebecca West's characterization of Chretien's government

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 20 April 2002 09:02 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Ah, "special interest", what a wonderful epithet to whack everyone who isn't a white, anglo-saxon, protestant, upper middle class, yuppie in need of a service destroying tax cut.

meades, on this thread.

Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 22 April 2002 04:08 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Like, don't bring holy water to a frat party and complain when it gets used it as a base for purple Jesus, or someone pees in it.

Michelle, in the booing at sporting events and patriotism thread in activism.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 24 April 2002 10:58 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If voting could change anything it would be illegal.

GGINT in the Three Cheers for Svend thread.

Edited to add: (I knew I'd seen it somewhere before, but I like it so much I felt GGINT's plagarism deserved a nod)

[ April 24, 2002: Message edited by: Sarcasmobri ]

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
writer
editor emeritus
Babbler # 2513

posted 24 April 2002 11:37 AM      Profile for writer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
... not the first.
Dawna Matrix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 156

posted 25 April 2002 10:50 PM      Profile for Dawna Matrix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"And so once again I see the good ship Ian II (formerly the S.S. Non Sequitur) has caught a sudden gust of wind, blustered into port, sails a-fluttering, mounted the pier, and spilled its unchecked baggage hither and yon.
Your reasoning, Ian II, now resembles not just a pretzel but a dense ball of fuzz. I shall name this rare order of logic pretfus, a faux-Germanic (specifically, Viennese) clinical term meaning "utterly confused". "

I can't help it. This is the funniest thing I've heard all day. Thanks, bittersweet.

From: the stage on cloud 9 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
writer
editor emeritus
Babbler # 2513

posted 26 April 2002 01:38 AM      Profile for writer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Seconded!
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 26 April 2002 12:39 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And the Richard Sheridan award goes to....

Dash Riprock (secret agent double-nought 7) for this gem:

quote:
You, Sir, are a virile anti-semite.

From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 26 April 2002 12:52 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You know, I gotta wonder if he knew what "virile" meant.
bittersweet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2474

posted 26 April 2002 01:34 PM      Profile for bittersweet     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm honoured, Dawna Matrix, writer. Condolences to the recipient.
From: land of the midnight lotus | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 26 April 2002 03:03 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Furthermore, I hereby declare my undying loyalty to truth, justice, non-discrimination, non-reverse-discrimination, anti-men, anti-women, anti-immigrant, anti-free-speech, anti-anti-hate-speech, anti-democratic, anti-minority, anti-anti-tyranny-of-the-majority, anti-Jewish, anti-Arab, anti-Christian, and anti-every-other-incident-you-can-come-up-with-in-the-past-present-and-future-where-anyone-is-treated-in-a-violent-and-unjust-fashion-which-may-require-a-loyalty-oath-at-any-time.
There, that should cover it. Did I forget anything?

Michelle comes up with an excellent unbleached, vitamin-enriched, all-purpose loyalty oath, over here

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 27 April 2002 12:29 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Irony may not be dead, but it's sure starting to smell funny.

Arch Stanton, summarizing succinctly the post-Sept. 11 state of play, over here

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 30 April 2002 03:43 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
1) The loss of 600 million has a greater negative impact than 14 thousand. 14 thousand isn't even enough to keep Ernie Eves in hair gel for a month.

N.R. KISSED on this thread with a howler for us all

meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 04 May 2002 05:42 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
No, no. See, if we shrugged in a postmodern way we'd all do it with as many big words
as we could cram into one sentence.

DrC, over here.

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 04 May 2002 08:37 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm still laughing over that one. And I'm waiting for the wrath of Trespasser to come raining down on DrC. Hee hee...
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 05 May 2002 09:32 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I can't believe I missed this one before - I nearly died laughing at the last sentence. Too funny, Lakesh!

quote:
Because I am a Zionoist you somehow figure that I am in on the world wide Jewish conspiracy (yes us Zionists all 13 million of us). We meet every Thursday in Yossel's basement where we plot to take over the world.

Trespasser
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1204

posted 08 May 2002 01:22 PM      Profile for Trespasser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Loved this one:

quote:
Dudes, it's called Question Period. That must really fluster them.

Audra, about the Liberal MPs who still see woman's body as a dark continent here.

AnotherBadSalmon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2152

posted 10 May 2002 05:03 PM      Profile for AnotherBadSalmon   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Rightwing, leftwing or pigeon wing this kind of quote could inspire genocide. I mean who cares what they do as long as we ‘good’ people remain polite and quiet and play by the governments rules...right?

quote:
Eeesh. This one, I have to say, gives me the ooogs. Cavalierly indifferent they certainly are, and they may yet be answerable for a few deaths of people who couldn't get to the nearest remaining hospital on time, but El Gordo's gang aren't murderers.

Lance speaking about an anti-campbell slogan (by me) here.

Hated this one.

Riffraff
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2034

posted 10 May 2002 08:40 PM      Profile for Riffraff     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Bill Blakie has a beard, which is not good in
politics. There are too many people whose
grandmothers told them never to trust a man
with a beard."

Hibachi
(In: "Is Blakie whom we want...)

Riffraff
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2034

posted 10 May 2002 09:13 PM      Profile for Riffraff     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"I think the NDP 'Platform' should be about 10
feet off the ground with a long streetlight-
like pole extending an additional 10 feet
with an arm extending over the platform and a
thick rope dangling from the arm with a very
big knot and loop in it. Oh, did I mention
that the platform has a spring released
trapdoor?"

Rapunzel (on what should be
the Ontario NDP platform)

Note: I never agreed with Rapunzel on anything except this one, which is a gem (although Rapunzel intended it as humour)

[ May 11, 2002: Message edited by: Riffraff ]

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 12 May 2002 02:27 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh Trespasser, yay! I never make it into these threads.

Edited to add: Michelle's:

quote:
Why . . . start . . . now?

response to VVMB's:

quote:
Must . . . hold . . . back . . . the . . . smart-alecky . . . remarks!!!

utterly and totally made my day. I'm still laughing!

[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: audra estrones ]

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 12 May 2002 02:30 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Seing as how you're the moderator audra, whenever I see you as the last poster on one of my favourite threads, I always worry that you are going to close it.

You had me worried for a second there. . .

From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 12 May 2002 02:33 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yikes! Fear not, SamL!

[edited because I just morphed SamL and slek into the same person in my head.]

[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: audra estrones ]

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 12 May 2002 05:48 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Hell I don't look at my own profile. I know who I am most of the time.

From clersal

SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 12 May 2002 10:18 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Fat is whoreplay?

Tsk tsk skdadl. . .

skdadl on "milet fignon" over in Writers' Circle.

Hmmm. . .Writers' Circle. . . . WC? Intriguing. . .

_ Balla _
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2643

posted 13 May 2002 05:32 PM      Profile for _ Balla _     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necesary for years, if necessary alone. At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty's Government -- every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation. The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength. Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, weshall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until in God's good time, the new world, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.
-- Address to the House of Commons
June 4, 1940

...always an inspiring read, anyway.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 13 May 2002 08:25 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey _Balla_, that was a great quote...

However, this thread is only for quotes made by people on babble. Since this is the second thread and the introductory message is on the first thread, it's an understandable mistake!

We started this thread for quotes by people not on babble, and famous quotes, etc.

Happy quoting!

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 13 May 2002 08:35 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I find it fascinating that teaching children to question and to think critically is often portrayed by the Right as left-wing indoctrination.

vickyinottawa in the What school teaches, mainly: conform or die thread.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 13 May 2002 08:38 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From the same thread, by bittersweet:

quote:
I thought kids were supposed to abstain from conjugation. Jeez Louise, make up your mind.

in response to Rapunzel's longing for the good old days when kids learned how to conjugate verbs instead of how to wear condoms.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 15 May 2002 05:34 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ain't this the truth:

quote:
And nobody cares what girls do to themselves to be accepted so long as they don't call themselves feminists.

Wingnut in the Teenage girls and pride thread.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 17 May 2002 08:31 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I seem to be the only one posting here lately!

quote:
If public schools trained children to shoot guns and drive tanks right-wingers would be falling all over themselves to expend the same gargantuan levels of military spending to the education system.

DrConway in Parents Fight Education Mess thread.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 17 May 2002 12:19 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wouldn't want you to feel lonely, Michelle.

quote:
As if the hat some bigot wears makes some kind of difference.

Slick Willy, here.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 17 May 2002 12:20 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks, WingNut. I feel much better now.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 17 May 2002 03:39 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I protest! I wear a fine white hat! (Kidding, folks, kidding! )
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 19 May 2002 05:07 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Q: What did capitalism do in ten years that communism couldn't do in seventy?

A: Make communism look good.

GGINT on this thread.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 20 May 2002 12:34 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ewwwwww! This is gross, but hilarious:

quote:
The burgers are skinny and mostly cereal. Except for the quarter pounder which is guaranteed to have you delivering a quarter pounder within thirty minutes of consumption.

WingNut delivers on the Rotten Ronny's thread.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 22 May 2002 07:51 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Only when we have complete and totally free access to US television programming, then, and only then, will we be truly free.

GGINT, you're a card!

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 22 May 2002 08:48 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Also, I thought Jacob Two-Two's "Location" line at the bottom of his posts deserves special mention in case he changes it. It seriously needs to be saved for posterity:

quote:
There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 23 May 2002 10:23 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Read before you think before you read before you post before you think before you post after Flood-Control (MIBD) expires before you get told. . .

SamL, with a succinct summation of the babble ethos (would that it were!), over here.

SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 23 May 2002 10:43 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Why thank you 'lance!
I never thought I was eloquent or funny enough to make it here. Sometimes it's nice to be wrong...

[Edited for Wrong spelling ]

[ May 23, 2002: Message edited by: SamL ]

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 23 May 2002 10:52 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Think nothing of it. Yer doing great, lad, viz.:

quote:
You shouldn't lie about yourself like that. Or else people might think that you are someone-impersonating-an-FBI-agent pretending-to-be (breathe!)a-dirty-90-year-old-man-pretending-to-be-a-15-year-old-girl (breath!) pretending-to-be-a-13-year-old-boy-pretending-to-be-a-15-year-old-boy (breathe) pretending-to-be-named-"Jobes".

SamL encapsulates the wheels-within-wheels that can be discerned on the Internet, over here

[edited by audra to eliminate asphyxiation, and side scroll]

[edited by 'lance to say: whoops, sorry 'bout that!]

[ June 01, 2002: Message edited by: 'lance ]

dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 983

posted 24 May 2002 12:23 PM      Profile for dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
WingNut responds to the idea that poverty is a choice on the Homelessness and Misinformation 2 thread:

quote:
It is true.
I remember being born. Shortly after being slapped on the ass, a man with glasses and a clipboard approached. He asked Poverty, Comfort or Wealth? Of course, I didn't know what he meant. I responded by peeing. I think he checked me off on the undecided.

From: pleasant, unemotional conversation aids digestion | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sherpafish
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1568

posted 25 May 2002 03:47 PM      Profile for sherpafish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
There's bugger-all up on Everest too. They're both just big-ass rocks. But the view, man -- dig the view!

'lance on why the moon is worth all the hype.

From: intra-crainial razor dust | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 27 May 2002 01:10 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I took this out when it bacame redundant.

[ May 27, 2002: Message edited by: nonesuch ]

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
goodgoditsnottrue
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2401

posted 27 May 2002 02:10 PM      Profile for goodgoditsnottrue   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey! I didn'r know this was here.

I don't usually scroll this far down... but.

Here was one that made me laugh for a long time, in response to my post about how the CIA and the US army had refused to co-operate with the DEA as far as Afghan poppy production was concerned, from Slick Willy:

quote:
If anyone touches the supply ass' will be kicked hard. The wod is nothing to fool with and important people have many fingers in that pie.

SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 27 May 2002 08:38 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
What, martial law where "curfew" is replaced by "earlier bedtime"?

I'm still reeling from 'lance's commentary on the meaning of "cadet law" discussed here.

Ouch...

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 30 May 2002 01:47 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
So many bed-related problems can be solved with the aid of judiciously applied lubricants.

Still giggling at this one of oldgoat's.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 01 June 2002 11:44 AM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I don't think there is one person on the planet that can't be nitpicked into being an entity of evil.

Slick Willy, with a concise summation of the Problem of Evil -- Rhetoric, that is -- over here.

SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 02 June 2002 10:11 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course I didn't read it to the end. There were too many big words in it for me.

I caught the gist though...some dipshit with an ax to grind hates the US.
Like we've never heard this story before?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't this a quote from George W. Bush, upom receiving the FBI memo on Al Queda flight training last summer?

GGINT, reponding to one of sheep's, over here.

NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 05 June 2002 08:48 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
A bunch of pussy-whipped yes-men. It makes me ill to watch them on television, spewing platitudes about how they need to be loyal to the party no matter what. Buncha yellow-bellied ass-covering snivellers.
Michelle with a subtle, yet poignant, critique of the Liberal Party of Canada.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 06 June 2002 11:54 AM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Maybe if more teachers weren't so god awful boring in the way they taught subjects in class, maybe some of those ads boys would be spending a little less time navel gazeing and more time star gazeing.

Slick Willy puts paid to the old "grils-must-be-modestly-clad- so-as-not-to-distract-boys" canard, over here

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 06 June 2002 07:14 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
You know the other nice thing about naked people is you can tell right off if their packing heat or not. And that just makes for a safer world for you and me.

Godsdammit, Slick, quit being so damn quotable!

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 07 June 2002 10:15 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
It may startle you to learn that my interest in the question is so slight, no instrument has yet been devised which could measure it.

'lance fails to be exercised at the thought that the LCBO may be privatized ... or not ... or anything in between, for that matter, on this thread,

where nonesuch and clockwork also discuss the money going into government coiffeurs.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 08 June 2002 03:42 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
clockwork, geopolitician-without-portfolio, updates the "domino theory"...

quote:
Now we have the, uh, ant-colony theory. Once a country gets one or two Ismlamic terrorists, it will become a hole hive of Islamic insurgency. So, to stop it from becoming a terrorist mecca, we will need to invade it right away!

... over here.

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 08 June 2002 03:51 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why, I'm so flattered!

Just call me Dr. Henry.

SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 11 June 2002 01:13 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Look not for the splinter in the nieghbours eye, but for the 2X4 in thine own.

earthmother over
here

[ June 11, 2002: Message edited by: SamL ]

goodgoditsnottrue
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2401

posted 11 June 2002 03:12 PM      Profile for goodgoditsnottrue   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
An we should never forget colourful Wingnut...

quote:
Now, markbo, in that you might see America bashing. But that is you. And of course that is all you intend to see. And it is too bad. Because Rome is burning, even Bush has finally acknowledged it, and while he fiddles you see any criticism aof his playing as an attack on music rather than people just shouting "get water!"

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 11 June 2002 05:42 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Now, Sam, I have used that quote MANY times, so I have dibs, not earthmother.
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 11 June 2002 06:53 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Gee, Doc, I thought you said, "Blessed are the meek."
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 11 June 2002 07:06 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I said "blessed are the pseudofelinoids."

I have, however, said many times that one should take the board out of one's own eye before complaining of the speck in their neighbor's eye.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 13 June 2002 09:02 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I may be intimately acquainted with rhetorical flourish, but do not always recognize her when she arrives with someone else.

markhoffchaney confesses for us all -- well, ok, for all the men, anyway, who get carried away by their own rhetoric. Gee, we're going to have to figure out a way to make this sex-neutral.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 13 June 2002 01:38 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I'm not obsessed with Left and Right. Heck, i've been called an enslaver of the human race, a dreamer, a communist, a fascist - and once, i even went all the way around from one to the other in the same sentence. That proves the Earth is round. (Don't look so shocked; it really is - and damn if the thing don't move, as well!)

nonesuch, proving poetically that when it comes to the political "spectrum," three dimensions are better than one, over here

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 14 June 2002 12:48 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Wish I'd been there to get a fit of the giggles. Wish someone who was there had got a fit of the giggles. There are giggles that aren't contagious mainly because you're sitting all alone in your office reading stuff like this and there's no one around to contaige. But then there are the giggles that no one else can help getting -- that is to say, there are other people there at the time, and even if they wouldn't have giggled all on their own, someone else's giggles will set them off.

skdadl, with an appealingly sane response to Mr. Rumsfeld's linguistic and epistemological contortions, over here.

Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 19 June 2002 01:22 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Slick Willy's advice on marital relations:

quote:
...sometimes you just have to say "I'm drunk as hell, and I'm not going to stand up anymore ya big balogna!"

From the "Vanilla Coke" thread.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 19 June 2002 01:47 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Give the people an inch and they'll take a mile. Don't focus on the mile and deny them the inch.

Jacob Two-Two, budding epigrammatist.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 22 June 2002 02:36 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A beaut!

'lance, in response to Markbo's hope that Lindh will "rot in jail" in order to "deter parents and kids from allowing the same thing to happen in the future":

quote:
A good point, Markbo. Why, just the other day, I passed a mother with her kindergarten-age son in the mall. The boy was being mulish, whining "but Mom, why can't I join the Taliban?" as his stoney-faced mother hauled him along. I'm sure there are millions like him, of all ages, throughout North America. This kind of thing needs a strong deterrent.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 26 June 2002 03:07 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Don't moan - organise!!!

lagatta memorably updates Joe Hill's memorable exhortation to his brothers and sisters, over here

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 29 June 2002 12:22 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This exhortation from Arch Stanton to young punks who think they know something about Rock and Roll...

quote:
If you've never thrown a stubby at a road sign while hanging out the ass-end of a half-ton, with yer drunken fate in the hands of the gods of gophers and the other blessed road-meat, with the deathwish knell of Foghataprilwinethesweet calling you to the other side...well then, ya've got nothin' ta tell me!

The man can turn a phrase.

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 01 July 2002 02:41 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Slick Willy, labour negotiator:

quote:
How about some new rules. Any time there is a strike, it becomes legal and encouraged to buy a paintball gun and shoot any picketer or polictician on public property. If they are on private property and you can drive them on to public property with three shots or less you're fine.

From this thread.

agent007
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1189

posted 04 July 2002 01:44 PM      Profile for agent007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
earthmother at her best:
quote:
if how I was dressed was giving him a woody he should go see the woodshop teacher and ask to be directed to the band saw.

From this thread.

From: Niagara Falls ON | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 05 July 2002 04:39 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And from the guns don't kill department:

quote:
Psychopaths do not deserve any sort of condemnation, and indeed when and if they do kill, they are not acting rationally, such is the nature of their illness, that medically it is not THEM that is killing.

Apemantus responding to Zatamon while defining capitalism.

Zatamon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1394

posted 06 July 2002 02:49 PM      Profile for Zatamon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If you make the primary motivating factor among the general population the pursuit of scraps from the table, they will orient their mindsets to this perspective.

On the other hand, if you make the motivating factor the pursuit of self-improvement and excellence, the general population will orient their mindsets this way.

Dr.Conway, in the "Nature of Money" thread.

This is the most eloquent argument against Capitalism I have ever read in one short statement.

Click here.

[ July 06, 2002: Message edited by: Zatamon ]

From: where hope for 'hope' is contemplated | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 06 July 2002 03:20 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Who will protect us from those who want to protect us to death?

Slick Willy updates Juvenal's classic "who watches the watchers?", over here

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 06 July 2002 03:51 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?"

Original context = a classic meditation on women's liberation.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 06 July 2002 05:13 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
These days, the watchers themselves get watched.

Or so I've heard, anyway...

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 07 July 2002 08:49 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Therefore. We must all "buckle up" and "butt out" and "just say no" to drugs (but if we do we must not inhale) and just abstain from sex and we must go to the gym and brush our teeth after eating everything on our plates after every meal and not swear at the table and never drink alone and not hang our underwear out on the line and we must recycle (properly separated, of course) and wear a helmet and knee and elbow pads and drink eight glasses of purified water a day and eat organic and not light unauthorized bonfires on the beach and not take anti-depressants because they're just bandaids and respect the communication style of the opposite sex because they are from another planet and stretch both before and after exercize and never fail to vote and protest or we can't complain and if we're not part of the solution we're part of the problem and not show our bellies and put our hands over our mouths when we cough and make sure our dogs wear leashes and that we pick up their feces and that we use 15SPF sunscreen or higher and and not skateboard on the sidewalk and make sure to register our rifles and never indulge in porn and not die without dignity and above all simultaneously keep a positive outlook to avoid seeming nihilistic because you are what you believe so just do it, sucker.

bittersweet considers the discreet charms of the bourgeoisie in Butt Out II.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 July 2002 12:03 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ha! I just came here to quote that exact passage, skdadl!

Except I'm going to put in the first two paragraphs that he uses to introduce that third paragraph, because I think his post in its entirety deserves to be here. Just insert these two paragraphs above the one skdadl posted:

quote:
All right, I've decided that you're all old enough to hear the Truth. I don't want to hear any guff about it, we're in the same boat, there's no use rocking it, and besides, it's for your own Good. So quit running around with those scissors and poking your eyes out with sticks and stop fidgetting and pay attention. All right. Here it is:

The standards of conduct and safety society enforces become ever more byzantine as real responsibility diminishes. Why? Because as our power to influence society decreases, we turn to the relatively petty things we can control. By-laws, etiquette, and so on.

Oh, and here's the thread since skdadl didn't link to it.

[ July 07, 2002: Message edited by: Michelle ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 07 July 2002 12:20 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
bittersweet -- psst -- big sister is watching us ... pass it on ...
bittersweet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2474

posted 07 July 2002 11:12 PM      Profile for bittersweet     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Skdadl...psst...keep walking...Michele is a mole in the system disguised as a hall monitor...(sotto)she's one of us...look, we mustn't meet here anymore, it's not safe...the smoke pit is bugged...they're coming for me...you have to get to England--tonight...here, take these Gitanes, the coordinates are rolled inside one of the fags, it's marked with an "x"...you must get it to headquarters--and remember, don't bloody smoke it...come on, pull yourself together, 'dadl, we need you...keep walking and don't turn around...we'll meet again...
From: land of the midnight lotus | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 08 July 2002 01:20 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is my tail poking up out of the catnip fields? Good. Wouldn't want anybody to see me, now would we?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 July 2002 01:21 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
WingNut remembers the good old days:

quote:
Why ye snivelling little, pinko, commie, queerboy. Back when I was a lad -- when you were just a filthy thought in your father's one track mind -- we had no cars. We wanted milk we had to go back to the barn and ask the cow for it. And if the cow said no we had to either walk through swarms of black flies thicker than early mornin' fog or snow shoe through blizzards that would rip yer fragile, store bought skin off to the nearest town only there was no nearest town. Only a general store twenty-five miles away between the back forty and hell's half acre. And when you got there, half the time they had no milk because their cow was feelin' a bit ornery too. And who could blame it. Cold fingers pullin' on your teat just as yer tryin' to get a bit a shut eye or maybe watch yer programs. And kids nowadays think every single luxury is a right. Oh, they have a "right" to a car. Thet got a right to kick up the ass okay. But a car is a priviledge to be earned no matter where ya live and even if ye are some namby-pamby, artsy-fartsy, bleedin' heart socialist, never-worked-a-day, fairy boy who thinks he lives in the country just because there is some corn growin' out back of his subdivision. Kick his ass into the fields to do some real work some one should.

In Butt Out II.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 July 2002 01:21 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You better believe it, bittersweet and skdadl. So just you watch it.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 08 July 2002 03:11 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
*pads in stealth mode in the shadows, unseen by big sister*
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 July 2002 03:42 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You too. I have eyes in the back of my head.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 08 July 2002 04:12 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That seriously freaked me out.

*pads past skdadl, innocently shedding fur over her shoes*

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 08 July 2002 03:37 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
But don't overlook the fact that, as a THC deliverer, The Weed has grown all that much more efficient, hrmff.

It is a case of one getting more bhang for your buck, as it were, harumpff, hypothetically.

flotsom discusses the (hypothetical) economics of marijuana, while simultaneously firing off one of the best (i.e., worst) bilungual puns on record, over here

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 09 July 2002 02:03 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Spaceship babble is two pages long. I'm gonna crash it

Audra shows us her (short) future in spaceship piloting on the Babble Spaceship thread.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 09 July 2002 03:07 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
OK. So it's busiland, and its inhabitants busibodies.

In coining a new name for the US, Rick Lake plays on the old Calvin Coolidge line about the business of America being business, over here

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 11 July 2002 07:57 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

As Catholics it is our duty to show care and compassion for those less fortunate than ourselves and there is no act more compassionate than saving the poor unfortunate homless from being seen in public.

Let us pray for the police officers who are charged with the saintly duty of placing their lives on the line as they approach and apprehend for removal all of these incarnations of our Saviour Jesus Christ who do not belong on downtown streets at this time of happiness but out along the Kingston Rd strip where His presence might enlighten the heathen suburbanites.

And, finally, let us pray for joemama, who, without benefit of brain nor wit, has managed to post. Surely this demonstrates that the Lord our God is still performing miracles upon the unwashed and undeserving. Amen.

Father WingNut cleans up on this thread.

[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: skdadl ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 12 July 2002 02:07 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Then there are those miscreants who refuse to bow to the God of Shampoo...the hairetics.

Arch Stanton, with an involuntary-Coke-spewing witticism on The Good Ship Babble.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 12 July 2002 06:20 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The problem with Philip Owen is that the man, most of the time, has about as much charm as a sidewalk and probably about as much thinking - you know, all concrete and no abstract.

DrConway on His Worship of Vancouver, Mayor Philip "Dim" Owen.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 12 July 2002 07:58 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This thread's getting long...

...so I continued it here.

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca