FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Describe your bedroom

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Describe your bedroom
Trespasser
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1204

posted 08 April 2002 09:58 PM      Profile for Trespasser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And how many hours of sleep do you need? Do you have recurrent dreams? Lights off or on? What do you read in your bed? Do you eat in bed? Colour of your sheets? Tell it all.
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 08 April 2002 10:02 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Have you seen pictures of the arctic tundra?

Like that, only moreso.

From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 April 2002 10:37 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My bedroom. Hmm.

It's small - these student apartments aren't very big. I have a luxury (but hand-me-down) queen mattress and box-spring - on the floor since I have no bed frame. For a night table I have a green plastic storage bin with a big lamp on it, right next to my bed.

I have a dark, faux-cherrywood dresser, low and wide. I have a plain wood IKEA shelf over the dresser, screwed to the wall with brackets. Plain, unfinished wood. I keep books and papers and stuff on it. I also have two shelves, one over top of another, also screwed to the wall with brackets over my bed. I have a big, black garbage bin with wheels on it as my clothes hamper (for easy carting to the laundry room).

That's about it. Oh, and a big feather duvet for the bed, lots of pillows, a really nice curtain that a great aunt made years ago by hand that just happened to fit my window perfectly. Heavy too - blocks out the light in the morning.

It sounds really kind of sparse, especially with my storage bin/night table. But actually, it's quite homey and comfortable for me.

I sleep with all the lights off. I have a couple of candles. And on the top shelf over my bed, I will soon have some Hummel figures that my grandmother (who just died recently) wanted me to have - they have a lot of sentimental value for me.

My room is a place for me to go to be by myself, daydream, fall asleep, think. It's my sanctuary after my little one goes to bed. My place to be alone with my thoughts.

I used to read before sleeping. I don't do that much anymore. I just go, lie there with the lights off and think and dream.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 08 April 2002 11:17 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My bedroom? It's computer geekworld in here. My whole computer desk is a tribute to geekdom. We have the scanner, printer, monitor, case, keyboard, programming/operating system/computer part manuals, CDs, modem, et cetera all on the desk or its shelves.

Then on my dresser (which I almost never use.. ) is my web-serving computer. A humble but proud workhorse.

The rest of my room is chaotic in the standard computer-geek sense, although others would claim it is a mess.

Almost forgot.

My bed sheets are, as par for the course would be, perpetually mussy. I generally sleep with the lights off but I prefer a dim outside light. However, I do sometimes sleep with the lights blazing if I decide I really won't mind it.

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 09 April 2002 02:18 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bedroom. Too small. Queen-sized bed (a born-again waterbed frame with proper mattress on) takes up most of the floor-space. End wall covered in pine shelving to accommodate the books that won't fit anywhere else. Under that is the laundry basket and odd shoes. One side is window; his night-table (solar lamp, clock-radio, 8 books) and Bird (present i made for him some years ago: a 6' wire-and-paper construction in bright colours - oh well, you had to be there...). The other side is closet door, which can't ever be closed, because Cindy lives in there. Beside that is a nice maple hutch i bought at auction when we lived in a house that had room for it. My night-table (lamp, four books, hand-lotion, kleenex); old quilts on the floor for the dogs. On the only available wall: Persian rugs made by my mother.

Sheets: mostly blue, not usually matching. Two quilts, many pillows.

On the bed at this moment: one man, sleeping; two cats in close proximity. Soon, i will join them. As soon as i do, one dog will hop up on the foot of the bed and instantly lapse into a coma; the other will curl up on the quilt beside the bed, positioned so that if i have to get up during the night i can't avoid stepping on her. I will read for about ten minutes before all the letters run together. Eric will settle on my legs, which will soon become paralyzed (he's a big cat) and Cindy will insist on her scritches.

At around 5 am, somebody will need, urgently, to be let out. She will stay out approximately 2 minutes longer than i can stay awake. When one of us gets up to let her in, the second dog or cat will be ready to go out. And so on, until 7am, by when at least one of us (usually he) is fed up enough to stay up, make coffee and start work.

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 April 2002 02:23 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Excuse the thread drift: Your mother made Persian rugs!? Wow. My ex-husband used to do that too when he was a kid. But he didn't get to keep any, of course.

Interesting.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
vickyinottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 350

posted 09 April 2002 10:08 AM      Profile for vickyinottawa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
one word: chaos....

oh, and purple sheets

From: lost in the supermarket | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
andrean
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 361

posted 09 April 2002 11:38 AM      Profile for andrean     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My bedroom was a kitchen when we moved into the house 6 years ago. It served briefly as a laundry/tool storage room. Then, babies came to the house and space needed to be allocated differently.

The Husband and I (not *my* husband, someone else's) tore out the cabinets and the plumbing, ripped up the tiles, built a closet, replaced the ceiling and laid a new floor. After sharing a room for more than two years with my girlfriend who was not "my girlfriend", followed by a stint on the floor behind the couch in the living room, the thing that I liked best about the room was that it had a door.

The room's painted a strong colour which looks to me like the offspring of a three-way union between pink, lavender and grey. Located on the ground floor of the house, my room has ceilings that are very, very high. I whitewashed the plywood floor, added a silver-painted metal bed, a white dresser, a purple upholstered bench and a bunch of paintings and photos of naked ladies. I invented a tricky system for hanging the curtains - they're white, with large metal grommets and suspended on a piece of cable attached to the window frame with clamps and hooks.

My shoes are always spilling out from under the bench where they're kept, there's a pile of books knocked over beside the nightstand, make-up and jewellry take up so much of the dresser surface that there's barely room to set a glass. The room smells really good - like the perfume I used to wear, like the stuff I put in my hair, like flowery candles. The stereo, on a shelf on above the bench, skips if you play it too loudly, forcing sound to be only moderate. The rare pleasure of my room is that it has windows on two walls, like only one other room in the house. The thing I like best is still the door.

From: etobicoke-lakeshore | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 09 April 2002 11:52 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My "bedroom" has a T.V. and two couches that don't match. And a coffee table. A good many books too. I sleep in the living room, on the couch. I have a "bedroom", where a dresser and wardrobe is, along with a tiny single bed, but I haven't taken to it since my wife moved out. I think the back of the couch makes if feel like there's someone beside me in bed. The idea of sleeping in a bed alone fills me with revulsion, to be honest.

The couch aint so bad. I put a blanket underneath and a few on top. It serves.

Light on or off? Depends on the cloud cover. Today it's gloomy, good for sleeping. The thing about night shift is I find myself craving dark as it's light out when I sleep, and of course at work the lights are on.

Sleeping in the dark... the very idea of it makes me feel like I've jumped into a vat of black velvet fabric just out of the dryer.

The kids are at school, and the other single mom's on the street are busy with the world wide conspiracy to ensure I never experience one of those stories one might read in "Penthouse Forum" first hand.

First hand? Hmm. Fruedian Phraseology, I'm sure.

So, I'm going to grab something unhealthy to eat. Something ultra carbohydratey and turn on the history chanel, and if the offering there is lame, fall asleep to something on the Discovery chanel.

g'night.

quote:
the other single mom's on the street

!!!!!!!!???????????

That choice of words is far too curious.

I am so tired.

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: Tommy_Paine ]

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trespasser
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1204

posted 09 April 2002 12:03 PM      Profile for Trespasser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hee, thanks folks for being so poetic.

Car-alarm somewhere down the block in the middle of the night pisses me off, but the outside sounds that I like to hear from my bed are people going home late at night and chatting.

Edited to add: come to think of it. Night somehow changes everything. It's like a different state, like a separate culture. Also, I sometimes think of the night as the much safer space for transgression than the day. Don't you think?

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: Trespasser ]

annie.victoria
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2341

posted 09 April 2002 12:16 PM      Profile for annie.victoria     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Long skinney room, used to be a garage before it was converted it the house's third bedroom.

On one side, hand carved teak wood bedframe, green sheets, aqua-marine duvet and a quilt my mom made me out of scraps of old blue jeans. Bed ever made. Four fat pillows Night stand with lamp covered with books and books all over the floor.
In the middle of the room a dresser, since there is no closet a dowel suspended from the celiing serves as a closet.

On the otherside, two plumb chairs, an antique radio with a modern stereo on top and a little filing cabinet covered with a shawl with a little TV perched on it.......

My hideout from the world.

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 09 April 2002 02:27 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My bedroom is a long, somewhat narrow room, which sits across the whole front of the house, second floor. One long wall slopes with the angle of the roof. It is yellow, a light, bright, cheerful colour.

At the far end is a queen-sized bed and two night tables. The head board is brass, a $5 find at a garage sale, but looks nice. We have a feather duvet in a bright cover, sort of a pale aquamarine with blue and yellow, with stylized red-orange flowers. The sheets sort of match, sometimes.

His bedside table is a little art deco cabinet, another garage sale find. Mine is a small, semi-circular table, which my father built many years ago. He has the alarm clock, I have the lamp, telephone and a photo of the girls. We both have candles. There is a large painting of water lilies, an original his mother half-finished, but I liked it the way it was so we hung it as is.

At the end of the bed are patio doors to a balcony, which is flanked and mostly hidden from view by two enourmous evergreens in the front yard. It faces east, and in the summer is the most wonderful place to have breakfast, warm, sunny and sheltered.

Next to the patio doors, I have a large, square glider rocker with big, flat arms. Good for a cup of tea and a book on a snowy afternoon.

At the end is the closet, flanked by a chest of drawers and a long dresser with a mirror, handed down from my grandparents. My grandfather, in the early 1950s, bought them for my grandmother, solid walnut, in clean, slightly asymmetrical lines. The are elegant in a sturdy, strong way. I love them.

His chest of drawers has two Chinese fans, two wooden boxes and a few oddments. My dresser is covered with kipple -- silk scarves, jewellery in and out of boxes, a Mexican doll in need of mending, small socks, seashells and bits of driftwood, mementos, bits of paper I haven't decided to throw out yet....

It's really a lovely room.

From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 09 April 2002 02:40 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One word: Cluttered.
From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 09 April 2002 02:55 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You find out all kinds of personal stuff here - neat.

quote:
Your mother made Persian rugs!?

She still does, but she's slowed down to two a year. On a 36" loom, so they're fairly small ones. The only problem is, we can't find new patterns, so she's been making the same dozen or so, from a raggedy old book, in different colours.

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trespasser
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1204

posted 09 April 2002 05:33 PM      Profile for Trespasser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
aawww Zoot. You people are all poets. My bedroom comment, OTOH, might be closer to Vicky's and MediaBoy's. I have indigo-blue sheets, tho'. That's something.
Trisha
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 387

posted 09 April 2002 05:57 PM      Profile for Trisha     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have an antique bedroom set with a wooden vanity, oversized double bed (not quite a queen size) and three dressers plus a cedar chest from the 1920's and a wooden bedside table. Since my room is rather large, I also have two storage areas for out of season clothes and other stuff. My two closets combined would make one large closet. They are on either side of the vanity. The single window is from ceiling (10 foot) to three feet off the floor but I keep it covered. I prefer to sleep in the dark but leave my door open and the streetlights keep my living room from being totally dark.

My bedspreads are a pastel floral on beige, one quilted for winter and one like a heavy sheet for summer. My comforter was hand made from blue floral sheets. I think that's it. Did I mention before I live in a very old building and have a very large apartment at a very good price in a not very good part of town?

From: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Catalyst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 237

posted 10 April 2002 01:06 AM      Profile for Catalyst   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My bedroom is a little cluttered. I have a queen sized bed with a bookcase headboard on which I keep a few books in case of insomnia, a telephone in case my Dad gets ill again, a glass for my overnight ice water and my "geek glasses" which I rarely wear.

I have two dressers, one in which I keep my work clothes exclusively. Nobody else can smell it, but no amount of washing removes the metallic, oily stench of my workplace from my clothes. I can tell while blindfolded (did it on a bet once) which of my shirts has been worn even ONCE to my workplace.

The floor is hardwood, the walls are white with a predominently dark green border. I have light green sheets right now and a hunter green duvet cover on my duvet. And right now my pillows are calling me. They are saying, "Catalyst, you never spend enough time with us..." So, in the interests of avoiding being nagged... G'night

annie.victoria
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2341

posted 10 April 2002 02:37 AM      Profile for annie.victoria     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh I forgot my collection of young artists paintings and interpretations on the walls of my b-room, pinned up ...I can't afford to frame them all

That for besides their paintings/originals prints I prefer to keep walls white.

annie, hoping everyone of these kids becomes a star, and those originals are worth billion ....... and they can all be happy ....

Gawd some kids HAVE SO MUCH TALENT

TOO bad that the world doesn't see a great artist before they DIE

Rebecca West
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1873

posted 10 April 2002 08:51 PM      Profile for Rebecca West     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right now, I would give my left kidney for eight hours of unbroken sleep. I usually get about five hours of unbroken sleep and about half an hour of dozing off, because:

At the end of my bed is a cot with a seven month old girl in it. It has a mobile with stuffed bunnies hanging from it, a hand crocheted lavender afghan, and a bunch of stuffed toys that make funny sounds. The baby cot is the most interesting thing in the room.

Beside the cot is a white plastic shelf unit that holds diapers, wipes, a moth-eaten 36 year old teddy bear that used to be mine, and assorted baby paraphenalia. On the other side of the cot is the chair I throw my clothes on (an absolute necessity) and a plastic bag full of dirty laundry. Boots and shoes live under the chair and by the shelf unit.

My bed - a double futon on a simple pine frame, too big for just me, too small when my sweetie stays over (bedhogblanketstealeruknowwhouare). The sheets are wine coloured, three pillows, and a blue coverlet. To one side is a three-tiered stand, hand painted different colours by me with vines curling up the corners. On it I keep a metal basket full of vintage silk and other scarves, a flashlight for reading, lamp, and gobs of books I'd like to find the time to read. And one book I'm currently reading one page at a time (that's how long I can stay awake reading in bed with the flashlight). A door opens onto the balcony, blue blinds cover the east-facing windows. A linen closet acts as a dresser for me and the baby.

I keep the lights off, but have a light shining through the ajar door. The past several nights we've had a vapourizer going which emits a strange blue light that's really cool. I want a night light that shade of blue.

I have very vivid dreams, epic dreams, recurring dreams and horrific nightmares.

The walls are white, the carpet is beige. Boring but functional. If I were going to live here longer, I'd decorate.

[ April 10, 2002: Message edited by: Rebecca West ]

From: London , Ontario - homogeneous maximus | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca