babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » London, Ontario: All Mixed Up.

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: London, Ontario: All Mixed Up.
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 06 April 2002 01:43 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
London came up with a new slogan, "All Mixed Up."

I think it's supposed to point to our ethnic diversity or something. Which is cool, because it was just yesterday that the London Free Press hired a black janitor, so the last barrier here has clearly been broken.

It's not a bad slogan, really..... out of the mouths of babes......

What but a "mixed up city" would allow the city manager to rake in over a grand a week during a garbage strike-- when he was the lead negotiator for the city-- and no one saw any kind of conflict of interest. Strange, since our councilors seem to find the flimsiest of pretexts for "conflict of interest" when they want to absent themselves from a politically uncomfortable decision. Clearly, there's a mix up over this.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
'topherscompy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2248

posted 06 April 2002 03:49 AM      Profile for 'topherscompy        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ 02 May 2006: Message edited by: 'topherscompy ]

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 07 April 2002 04:41 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I must correct myself. It wasn't a grand a week that Malpass raked in.

It was a grand a day.

Yes, there's absolutely nothing in London to draw anyone here for a visit.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 07 April 2002 06:05 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"All Mixed Up", eh?

Sounds as elegant, as awe inspiring, as visionary as that other great slogan, "Technically Beautiful."

The civic pride justs runeth over.

Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 07 April 2002 06:16 PM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even sadder than those two slogans is the fact that the city probably payed a hell of a lot of money for them. Or did they hold a contest for kindergarten kids, and buy pizzas for the class who thought up the best slogan?
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 08 April 2002 08:26 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, it gets better. London's tag line has always been "The Forest City", and we like it. Sure, we could be a bit more foresty, but if you get to the top of any of downtown's tall buildings, outside the small core the city still all but dissapears under a canopy of trees. Except for "White Oaks", ironically enough. I think the developers who designed this little slice of Scarberia adjacent to the 401 are now busy developing the rain forest or something.

........ANYWAY........

The Mayor, Anne Marie Di Cico, protegé of former Mayor Dianne Hasket who everyone thought was a born again radical, but was first last and always just a cynical lawyer, tried to change the tag line to "A city with Spirit" or something like that.

It got shouted down by the public. In my paranoid state, what with the only "newspaper" in town being nothing but a church circular lately, I figured it was a code word for "A city with a wierd devotion to strange religious ideas".

But that's just me.

Let's see.

More to brag about.

A former City Engineer was let go/fired/resigned, and he turned around and got hired by as a consultant by a firm who won a city contract for some kind of water treatment service. The former City Engineer was still collecting severance and other things from the city while he was employed by this company.

The company who lost the bid is crying foul, but has yet to launch a civil suit in the matter. It is thought that fear of the civil suit lead to the resignation of Linda Reed, the former city manager. Getting while the getting is good.

Then, of course, we have Malpass who, while stubbornly barganing to keep the garbage workers on strike, raked in over a grand a day in overtime due to the strike.

Not finished yet.

London's former Police Chief was finally fired/let go/ resigned last week after being suspended with pay for over a year. His crime: charging a couple of hotel rooms on his police expence account when he wasn't on police business.

His real crime, of course, was the fact that he came from outside, and this bothered the career London police officers who wanted the job.

Not that I care about those machinations, but it's a joke, suspended for a year, and then getting a generous severance package.

Meanwhile, back at city council, the much balleyhooed anti smoking by law for restaurants has a hole in it big enough for a truck load of smokes to pass through.

I predict the next municiple election in London will not be a good one for incumbants.

People can abide a corrupt council at times, or councillors they may not see eye to eye with, but nobody likes to think their representatives are a bunch of idiots, as council seems bent on illustrating on almost a daily basis.

annie.victoria
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2341

posted 08 April 2002 08:29 PM      Profile for annie.victoria     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does "All Mixed Up" come with a theme song? Should it?

annie.city of gardens

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca