FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Gratuitous cheap shots

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Gratuitous cheap shots
MJ
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 441

posted 04 April 2002 06:08 PM      Profile for MJ     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Apropos of nothing, but does something look weird about this man's hair?

I originally only clicked on the story because of the picture of the hair. But there were some good bits in the story too:

Congressman on trial for corruption

quote:
CLEVELAND (AP) - Rep. James A. Traficant Jr., pressed by the judge in his federal corruption trial to present witnesses or wrap up his self-directed case, called three more people to testify Thursday.

U.S. District Judge Lesley Wells had told Traficant a day earlier that closing arguments should begin if he didn't have enough witnesses to fill the day and didn't take the witness stand himself.

Outside court Wednesday, Traficant threatened to defy the judge, saying: "I don't give a damn who ordered anything. If I decide to defy a court order, it won't be the first time. And I may do that."

With the jury in the room, Wells repeatedly asked Traficant on Wednesday if he intended to take the stand in his own defense. Traficant repeatedly refused to answer.

"Do you rest?" Wells asked.

Traficant replied, "Yes, every evening."

Her voice shaking with anger, Wells said, "I can only conclude now you have nothing further."

But Traficant, 60, shouted, "What right do you have to stop my trial now?"

Then, just out of further curiosity, I checked out his House web page (he's a Democrat). Click the link, it's really worth it...

US Representative James A. Traficant, Jr.

annie.victoria
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2341

posted 04 April 2002 06:13 PM      Profile for annie.victoria     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He had a bad hair day. Is it rude to point that out?
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 04 April 2002 06:33 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe it is just windy out. I can't tell if the white haired guy has a wind blown characteristic.

Perhaps he is generating his own wind vortex. He seems to be causing some high pressure disturbances in court, that I can tell.

[ April 04, 2002: Message edited by: clockwork ]

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 04 April 2002 06:37 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In case people don't look at this guy's site:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 04 April 2002 06:40 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or check out his one minute speeches:

quote:
Mr. Speaker, the school prayer issue is out of control, literally. Students in Pennsylvania were prohibited from handing out Christmas cards. Reports say students in Minnesota were disciplined for having said merry Christmas. Now if that is not enough to find coal in your athletic supporter, check this out: A school board in Georgia removed the word ``Christmas'' from their school calendar because the ACLU threatened to sue. Beam me up. If this is religious freedom, I am a fashion model for GQ.

Mr. Speaker, I yield back the fact that Christmas is not about a jolly old fat man. Christmas is about the birth of Christ.

Trespasser
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1204

posted 04 April 2002 06:43 PM      Profile for Trespasser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Speaking of lampooning politicians who deserve it...

Today's Guardian has a nice little compilation of websites that do not-so-cheap shots at Jacques Chirac in this article. You won't regret checking the actual websites.

doseq
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1792

posted 04 April 2002 09:57 PM      Profile for doseq     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Those one minute speeches are hilarious. An interesting game would be trying to count up the number of logical fallacies he can commit in any given minute of talking. I think it neccessary to addd one point for the use of the expression "Beam me up"
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 04 April 2002 10:18 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
doseq, tell me about it. The guy is hysterical every time he trashes almost anything and everything. Problem is, it's good play for the folks back home in Ohio (which is where his district is), plus although he's a Dem, he acts like a Repub except when it comes to free trade.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 09 April 2002 01:12 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I came to this late, but seriously, how funny is his big stick "banging away in DC"? We should be so lucky . . .
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 09 April 2002 02:28 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, in that "big stick" pic he bears a slight, but disturbing, resemblence to Ed Broadbent

(Disturbing, I hasten to add, because I respect Mr. Broadbent, and I'd hate to think he had a evil twin somewhere).

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trespasser
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1204

posted 09 April 2002 02:40 PM      Profile for Trespasser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And I was wondering who was it that he reminded me of on that pic... It was EB, you're right. Probably EB giving a speech about why the Labour reps should be allowed plural vote within the NDP structures... Or was that another speech.
NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 09 April 2002 05:38 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He reminded me of the Southern Judge from "My Cousnin Vinny."

You know:
Vinny - "The two utes . . ."
Judge - "The what?! Did you just say the two utes?"
Vinny - "Yeah, the two utes."

Can't quite transmit Joe Pesci's tinny drawl in writing.

Blah, blah, blah . . . anyway I think the stick is funny. So's the hair.

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: NDB ]

Charles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 200

posted 09 April 2002 05:51 PM      Profile for Charles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually Traficant is an extreme right winger, he broke with the Democrats and sits as an independant Democrat, tried unsuccessfully to join the Republicans and is as crazy as a bag of hammers. He used to be on Crossfire now and then. His is renowned for having by far the worst hair in Washington...
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 09 April 2002 10:16 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Damn, I didn't know he was that nuts. Crazy man, I tell ya.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 09 April 2002 10:46 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You know what I don't get? Why do Evangelists style their hair to make it look like a bad toupé?.
From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 April 2002 10:48 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's not like they can't afford a good haircut or a realistic toupee.

Jesus had a lot better taste if you believe he looked like the traditional pictures.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 09 April 2002 11:00 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but you know in day-to-day situations, Jesus put his hair into a pony tail.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 April 2002 11:08 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Beats toupee look.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 09 April 2002 11:17 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yabbut, there is a reason Jesus was persecuted. I should know. The Jews in the church would look at that sandal wearing hippie and think, "what a disgrace!"

The Romans were a bit more receptive of the ponytail, though. But that didn't overcome the racists attitudes.

meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 13 April 2002 05:43 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Traficant found guilty of corruption
From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 14 April 2002 12:48 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good God Meades, stick to topic. It's the hair!! Remember the Tribbles from Star Trek? It looks like one died up there.

A good topic here would be "your favorite Evangelists hairdoo". I vote for Ernest Angely. Pictures to follow if I ever get around to it.

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 14 April 2002 04:53 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I vote for Rexella van Impe. For both the fake blond thing she's got growing on her head, and also for a close second behind Tammy Faye for the most make-up on the Jesus circuit.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca