FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Feather problem

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Feather problem
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 24 March 2002 12:34 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay. I need advice about Jerome the serial killer. He is bringing in our feathered friends by the bushel. I am so bloody tired of bringing out the vacuum and shlupping up these bloody feathers. It looks like an aviary gone bad in the basement. There are of course a few feathers that float upstairs reminding me of the carnage below.

My first, and very evil plan is to take the next bird that Jerome does away with and tie it around his bloody neck fer a month. It is supposed to work with dogs who kill chickens.

Or I can just let Alfred go into the basement and purloin the bird. At least he takes it outside. My biggest worry is what if Alfred loses the bird before he can get it outside? After all Alfred's biggest claim to fame is his thievery. I don't think he is too strong in the killing department.

I kind of like the idea of hanging the bloody bird around Jerome's neck for a while. Maybe that will learn him.

I would love your ideas.

[ March 24, 2002: Message edited by: clersal ]

From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
agent007
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1189

posted 24 March 2002 12:54 PM      Profile for agent007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like Jerome needs to be "tarred and feathered" ... eh!
From: Niagara Falls ON | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 24 March 2002 01:18 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will give this suggestion serious thought. At least it will take care of the feathers. Recipe: Tar one cat and roll in feathers. Hang up and dry.
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 24 March 2002 02:13 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We had a cat that developed birding skills late in it's life. At first she would get a few fledglings that always seem to have a bit of difficulty getting to their wings for a morning or so. It got so I recognized the alarm "chirp" of the resident sparrow flock in the back yard.

She graduated to being able to stalk and catch adult sparrows that were feeding on the ground.

I'm not sure what you do about it. We tried a few things; it might be related to food and stuff. Our older cat didn't develop this habit until we-- my wife at the time, against my expressed contrary wishes-- brought a new cat into the mix.

Make sure Jerome has an independant secure food source of his own.

Failing that, you need to look to the birds. Do you put feed out that ends up on the ground, and encourages them to forage where Jerome can stalk them? If so, re think your bird feeder arangements, with an eye to keeping ALL the feed out of cat territory.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Omnigal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2282

posted 24 March 2002 02:26 PM      Profile for Omnigal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's kinda mean but it works, kinda like aversion therapy.

My feline was a birder extraordinaire. I had pet birds, every time my little furry friend went for my birds I squirted him with a squirt gun. Did it outside once in a while too. I have lovely birds that visit me. He still gets the odd one but really thinks twice before going for them. Usually long enough the birds see him and fly off.

I hope this doesn't sound too cruel. But I was desperate to stop him, and it worked quiet well without hurting him, or causing him much psychological damage ( no really he's a perfectly normal cat just associates birds with being wet, he hates wet)

From: where the sun don't shine (most of the year anyway) | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 24 March 2002 03:35 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you have time to stalk the cat (or can deputize others), the spray-bottle is really a good idea.

Secondly, you might want to rethink that pet-door. The reson we never put one in is that we like to control what comes in (live skunks, muddy bones, decomposing rabbit parts) and goes out (the dogs, at night, for a good barking session). Letting animals in and out is an irritating chore, i know. In summer, i like to have the door open (with a curtain on). Then i rely on Daisy (senior dog; mother's little helper) to relieve Eric of prey and bury it. She started doing years ago, voluntarily, and i encouraged it. Very handy.

I do have bird-feeders, but only in winter, and Eric hates snow. Anyway, he mostly catches mice, which isn't too messy - i find the odd little pile of guts on the porch.

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 24 March 2002 06:28 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks people. The squirt business I am not too sure about as Jerome is bound to let the bird go and then I am stuck trying to sew feathers back on an unhappy bird.

Jerome gets plenty to eat. If the bloody cat wants a separate dish with his name on it......I will definitely hang a chicken around his neck or maybe wring it.

Never, but never and I repeat nerer will I do away with my crittur door. I am free from playing door person to the different whims of the critturs.

The dawg is continually hearing things that are not there. The cats never, and I mean never want to go out or come in at the same time.

So I think what I will do, is the minute that Jerome comes in with a bird I will send Alfred after him and everything will happen outside. Unless of course Alfred drops the bird because it peeps or something. I will keep you all updated. Of course I could import some mice and that would keep the bloody cat busy. Fooling, fooling.

Don't take me too seriously. I was blowing off steam this morning. I like to see one feather gently wafting in the air, not a bushel.

[ March 24, 2002: Message edited by: clersal ]

nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 25 March 2002 02:08 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I could help you out with a shipment of rats. Actually, i haven't caught them yet - waiting for good weather to release them somewhere nice - far away, but nice. (They're so damn clever! Wherever i hang the bird-feeder, they figure out a way to get to it. They're entertaining to watch. Only, i think they got a nest a baby robins last year, and i'd like to deport them before it can happen again.)

This is sort of on topic. The most recent thing i tried with the bird-feeder is to hang a tin tray (cheap one, two holes punched for the wires) horizontally, about 8" above it. That seems to keep the rats from climbing down. You might try something similar, except underneath, to keep the cat from jumping up at the feeder, and the seeds from falling on the ground below.

Now, how do i get an incerdibly stupid robin to find the cat-food i put out for it? The silly things are back, early as usual, and we're having a multi-day snowstorm. They just perch in the cedar, looking miserable, while all the other birds scarf up sunflower seeds.

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 25 March 2002 09:56 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't have rats. My bird feeders are on the clothes line so nobody can get up there. Certainly not Jerome. Jerome has given up sitting under the feeders waiting for a bird to fall into his arms. I did see him sitting under a tree looking up. I still have not figured out the secret of how he catches birds.

anyhow yesterday was a bird free day. Whew.

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 26 March 2002 02:11 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
clersal:

1. Did you get my private message?
2. I'm moving this to "babble banter"

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 26 March 2002 02:28 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Early May to late September:

9 a.m.: Back door opens. Rush-hour dangers are past; birds have had a chance at worms and seeds. Open door noisily to warn off stragglers.

9-3: 45-min/hourly checks to see that everyone's in sight or will respond to call.

3 p.m.: Call everyone in for "lunch." This will probably involve grabbing cats one by one and trapping them behind interior doors, because back door must remain open until last cat is in. Door closes for the night.

October-May: No one goes anywhere.

Is this possible? Yes. Is this hard work? Yes. At least once a week, someone doesn't show up until 3.30, or 4 -- at 4 I begin to panic. But so far, it works. I have five cats who believe that the world works this way.

Why do I do it? Because five years ago, when I wasn't as strict at getting them to check in, Minnie disappeared for 16 days and came back near dead. We both still have shell-shock.

They're not such babies any more, though. Maybe this summer, on the specially hot nights, maybe I'll let them stay up ... I'm skeert, though.

Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 26 March 2002 02:38 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What does Jerome do when you toss the dead bird back outside for him to eat it there? Can you toss it and then block the door for a bit until he gets the point?

If it's any solace, your cat will be very healthy as he's eating his natural prey rather than dry ground corn sprayed with animal fat.

Maybe a little structure outside on the deck? The cat is bringing his kill inside so a) you can see his handiwork and praise him, and b) so a bigger cat doesn't come and steal it. Maybe a mini dog house outside would satisfy his need to hide it?

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 26 March 2002 09:03 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trinitty, it is an interesting idea. Unfortunately the feathered ones are never dead when Jerome brings them in the house. I suppose I could take the bird away from him. What am I going to do with a wounded, scared shitless bird and how badly hurt he is. If I fling the bird out I will feel guilty. Also I think that is aiding and abetting a felony.

I think that Jerome is just plain showing off. His mother and sister are in great awe of his prowess and he guards his terrified prey with great care.

Only the dawg Alfred, is able to snatch the bird away. Since Alfred is not allowed downstairs, he cannot go down as I have put one of those baby gates in front of the stairs.

I think the easiest thing will be to let the dawg downstairs when Jerome brings in his prey and then the dawg will take it outside.

Out of sight out of mind.

Maybe then Jerome will keep his bodies outside.

Pimji
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 228

posted 29 March 2002 09:25 AM      Profile for Pimji   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nonesuch, deporting the rats, as noble as this might be might prove to be an endless process. Rodents have an uncanny ability to multiply and they generally all look the same. That one rat you see might actually be about a dozen different men out gathering food to take home to momma who is at home taking care of her brood. Female rats go into heat immediately after giving birth which revolves around a 21 day cycle. Males, even the most adolescent, are always ready willing and able to sire more offspring. Unlike us humans, one litter will soon become a colony in about 3 weeks. You can just call me Willard.
My dad had the same problem, except it was squirrels. After half a dozen trips down the road he gave up and did what you did. He also kept a chunk of wood to bang on the porch to scare them off when they kept climbing along the wire and into the bird feeder.

Clersal I wish I could help you. Try spraying the birds with something that tastes bad.

From: South of Ottawa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 29 March 2002 10:52 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Spray the bird with something that doesn't taste good? Before or after he is dead?
LEX
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 61

posted 29 March 2002 02:20 PM      Profile for LEX     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Obtain a cat collar for Jerome. Attach one of those small decorative tinkle-bells to the collar.

Jerome will be unable to stalk birds silently.

Good for the birds.

Frustrating for Jerome.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 29 March 2002 06:31 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Too sissy Lex. Any other ideas?
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 30 March 2002 12:08 AM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
obtain a large rooster, of malicius nature, tie him to the cat with about six feet of poly twine. every time the cat goes into stalking mode he'll be faced with taking his partner along . he(she) will grow frustrated and endeavour to eliminate this feather-bearing anchor and , as my agrarian past observance recalls recieve a sound drubbing for his efforts. shortly you'll be able to eliminate the tether and pavlovian response will inhibit predatory behavior.
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 March 2002 12:15 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is the best advice yet. I had the idea of a dead chicken but a mean alive rooster, red of course, would be much more effective.

One slight problem. Jerome has never met a rooster and just might not associate 'Rooster' with small bird?

Still I like the idea of Jerome taking a thrashing from a feathered crittur.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 March 2002 12:20 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Double post. Hunting was poor today so this evening Jerome took on a roll of paper towels. Jerome won and I will be using tattered towels. He definitely had the upper hand(claw) and without my intervention.........
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 30 March 2002 12:30 AM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are you interested in a technology-based solution?

The link takes you to a site that describes a system involving a computer, a cat door with a magnetic latch, a digital camera and algorithms that know the difference between a cat with nothing in its mouth, and one carrying a dead (or half-dead) animal. I kid you not. It's amazing what you can find on Slashdot.

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 March 2002 12:57 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That was fascinating, thanks. I probably will end up doing nothing. Sometimes I just have to let off steam about the cat, I think it is pretty obvious. Your solutions are really entertaining. I know I could manage to restrict Jerome's capacity to enter the house. I really don't mind him bringing rodents into the house, unless of course he loses them. He ends up finding them anyhow. Birds I have more of a soft spot for.
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 30 March 2002 01:12 AM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
all that is neccessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.
we used to have squirrels , till my neighbor got cats. their memory haunts me, and regrets dog my remembrance of them.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 March 2002 09:58 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not quite the same situation as I live in the country, real country, forests etc. and Jerome doesn't really put a dent in anything except making me vacuum more that I like. I do hear what you say and if I did live where our feathered friends were less I would definitely but a bell around his neck. The Liberty Bell if possible.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 30 March 2002 12:43 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
clersal, you are a wicked woman.
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 March 2002 01:09 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
T'aint me, Jerome makes me evil.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca