FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Fav. Button Slogans

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Fav. Button Slogans
vickyinottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 350

posted 22 March 2002 04:08 PM      Profile for vickyinottawa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like many activists, I've amassed quite a collection of buttons over the years. Thought it might be fun see what folks' favourite button slogans are.

A few gems from my bulletin board and jacket lapel:

"Cry me a river, White Boy"

"I am a shameless agitator"

and of course my current fave:

"Sluts for Social Justice"

others?

From: lost in the supermarket | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liam McCarthy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 800

posted 22 March 2002 04:50 PM      Profile for Liam McCarthy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favorite bumper sticker is one I saw in Maine last summer. It had a Confederate flag crossed out and it said "you lost, get over it."
From: Windsor, Ont. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 22 March 2002 05:10 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Beware the power of stupid people in large groups"
Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 22 March 2002 05:31 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I met the blond guy, he was driving a beat-up old van with a "Question Authority" bumper sticker on it....

My current favourite is "What would Xena do?"

From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liam McCarthy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 800

posted 22 March 2002 05:46 PM      Profile for Liam McCarthy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My mom got me a "question authority, not your mother" button.
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 22 March 2002 05:51 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's pretty funny.

I dunno bout buttons, but I once made a t-shirt that said "Heaven Hath No Dresscode".

From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liam McCarthy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 800

posted 22 March 2002 06:02 PM      Profile for Liam McCarthy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Along that line, my buddy Sid used to wear a Stiff Records shirt that read "Fuck Art Lets Dance." I'm thinking about getting an onion mag shirt that reads "your favorite band sucks."
judyrebick
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2422

posted 22 March 2002 06:12 PM      Profile for judyrebick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favourite of all time is

"Cry me a river white boy"

Although

"Mike Harris made me eat my dog" is a
close second

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 22 March 2002 06:22 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey judyrebick, welcome to babble. I thought you'd been here for some time. Perhaps I was mistaken.

Now, please forgive me -- I'm aware that normally, a gentlemen never makes inquiries on the subject of a lady's age. But one has to make certain adjustments, in these nefarious modern times, and so when I suspect I'm not dealing with a lady, all bets are off.

I notice that in your profile, your date of birth is given as "none of your business" (quite true, of course). But see, I was almost certain you'd already been posting as Judes -- and in that profile, your date of birth is given.

So, to my indelicate question -- could it be you're not actually Judy Rebick, after all?

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 22 March 2002 07:50 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Desperately Clinging to Utopian Illusions" is one of my more cynical buttons, I also like "The New Right Preaches the Old Wrongs"
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 22 March 2002 08:17 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's been some good slogans parodying the BC liberals... my fave so far is BC LIBERALS: A NEW ERROR.

On the subject of bumper stickers generally, I have one that reads "CAUTION: This car will explode on impact.", a second that reads "DO NOT WASH! This car is undergoing a scientific dirt test." and finally, "Yes, as a matter of fact... I do own the whole damn road." (Of course, I drive a wee Toyota, so it's more of an ironic thing, the last one...)

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
locomotion
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2350

posted 22 March 2002 09:36 PM      Profile for locomotion     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
here's a couple for ya all"tou can have my gun when you pry it from my paranoid,mentaly disturbed,physically-abusive,cold,dead hand" and"comfort the disturbed,disturb the comfortable"and one more for now,it takes a village idiot....
From: cranbrook,B>C> | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 22 March 2002 10:57 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I once participated in a demo against the US space programme. The organizers had a button which said: "No money for space! (The universe is a bottomless pit.)
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 23 March 2002 01:03 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just today I got a "L.I.F.T." bumper sticker, that says "Human Rights or Corporate Rule: Choose a future". I also got a bunch of anti-violence against women decals that I'll be plastering over every glass surface in my school come monday. Personally, I like decals more than stickers or bumper stickers, because I can save them an re-use them, Like these (well, they were billboards at first, but they made some of them into decals). The "More Poverty: your tax cuts at work" one I actually have on my binder, for school.

As for buttons, I've got one with "Undermines Postal Services", another with part of the American flag, but with a maple leaf in the corner of the blue, and underneath, it says "no, eh." (it's from CCAFT), and I've got a bunch more from the CLC, CCAFT, OCAP, and such.

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sleK
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2278

posted 23 March 2002 05:58 AM      Profile for sleK   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Click it! You won't regret it!

From: a chair - in a room - by a door | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
sherpafish
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1568

posted 23 March 2002 04:23 PM      Profile for sherpafish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
One button depicted the hind quarters of a rhinoceros—an image cut out of an old issue of Ranger Rick. Another contained a section of a math worksheet, while another contained a piece of lint.

I'm a sticker guy myself.
My commuter bike has a "Burn Carbos, Not Carbon", a "Every Night is Earth Night" a "Momentum for a Cooler Planet", and the ubiquitous (in Vancouver) "One Less Car".

From: intra-crainial razor dust | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
'topherscompy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2248

posted 23 March 2002 07:52 PM      Profile for 'topherscompy        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ 02 May 2006: Message edited by: 'topherscompy ]

meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 23 March 2002 11:03 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

This is the best bumper sticker I've ever seen

It's from NOW.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 23 March 2002 11:08 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wooooot!
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 24 March 2002 07:25 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have an anti-Free Trade Agreement button from 1988, showing a close-up of the blue corner of a US flag where one star has been replaced by a maple leaf, and the simple slogan, "No, eh."

Edited to add: well, I'll be damned. (Chorus of babblers in background: "Perhaps not, 'lance, don't despair." Thank you, chorus). meades described this very button, above. Serves me right for not skimming the thread more carefully.

[ March 24, 2002: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 24 March 2002 07:33 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Where does one obtain these buttons?

My favourite is a t-shirt that proclaims: "I'm not only perfect, I'm CANADIAN too!"

From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 983

posted 24 March 2002 07:47 PM      Profile for dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favorite tee-shirt slogan (I don't really have any buttons either):
"There's more to life than looking like a GAP ad."

[ March 24, 2002: Message edited by: dee ]

From: pleasant, unemotional conversation aids digestion | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 24 March 2002 08:31 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
'lance, I also have that button in t-shirt form
Catalyst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 237

posted 24 March 2002 09:58 PM      Profile for Catalyst   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My current fave is a button that says "Bosses beware--- When we're screwed we multiply" and every April 28, the national day of mourning for workers who were injured or killed on the job, I wear the t-shirt that says, "We come here to work, not to die."

And, in response to a right wing columnist in the Windsor Star, my briefcase has a sticker that reads "I'm a union goon."

[edited to remove fatigue related typos]

[ March 24, 2002: Message edited by: Catalyst ]

vickyinottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 350

posted 25 March 2002 11:06 AM      Profile for vickyinottawa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah, yes, I wore many "I am a union goon" stickers during the Days of Action.

Glancing over at my bulletin board, I notice a few more:

"God grant me the authority to change the things I cannot accept"

"Don't assume I cook"

"Kiss my loophole" (with picture of winking pig - for Corporate Tax Freedom Day)

"Education shouldn't be a debt sentence" (I have a soft spot for that one 'cause I was part of the group that developed the slogan)

Where do I get my buttons? From the Button Lady, of course!

From: lost in the supermarket | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gayle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 37

posted 25 March 2002 02:45 PM      Profile for Gayle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you go to Audra's Marigoldzine.com site and keep reloading the front page, you'll see most of my favourite slogans, like "HARDCORE! If that's ok with you?"

I also like oneangrygirl.com. Good stuff, there.

From: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2210

posted 28 March 2002 04:39 PM      Profile for Amy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
heh... "dot commie", "Straight people can't help it", "Stop campbell" with a whole troop of campbell clones, "Jesus save me from your followers", "True Directions Escapee" (referring to a movie called "But I'm a Cheerleader" which is about a girl who gets sent to a ex-gay program called True Directions.) ....There are lots of great ones out there .
From: the whole town erupts and/ bursts into flame | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
sherpafish
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1568

posted 28 March 2002 05:13 PM      Profile for sherpafish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If being homosexual is an illness, then why not phone in sick?

"Sorry can't come to work/school today, still gay."

From: intra-crainial razor dust | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 28 March 2002 07:38 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bwahahahaha!
Here are some good ones relating to homosexuality from NOW:

That last one's just so corny it makes me laugh.
more here

These are great too:

Oh, and please nobody take offence, I just realized these aren't exactly 100% PC. So just remember that they're from a very opinionated source, and meant to be humourous. Please, please no one take offence, because you all know I love you all

[ March 28, 2002: Message edited by: meades ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 March 2002 03:24 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
If being homosexual is an illness, then why not phone in sick?
"Sorry can't come to work/school today, still gay."

That one never fails to get a chuckle outta me.

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 12 April 2002 12:37 AM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty enchanted with all the boys I know who wear buttons that say "Feminist Chicks Dig Me".
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 12 April 2002 12:48 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heehee, my friends got a t-shirt with that slogan on it for their chavanist boss

[ April 12, 2002: Message edited by: meades ]

bittersweet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2474

posted 12 April 2002 01:33 AM      Profile for bittersweet     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
During former B.C. Premier "Wild" Bill Vander Zalm's reign of error, you could pick your own customized protest from a hilariously extensive button series. It seemed there were endless options: "Lesbians against Vander Zalm", "Old farts against Vander Zalm", "Scientists against Vander Zalm", "Dogs against Vander Zalm", "Pagans against Vander Zalm", "Vegetarians against..." etc. It used to be a highlight at the folk festival, glimpsing all these unbelievably specific buttons on people--a great ice breaker (not that you need one there!) My own "Writers against Vander Zalm" still has pride of place on the corkboard.

I vote we bring back the concept for Gordo.

edited to spell The Zalm's name right...

[ April 12, 2002: Message edited by: bittersweet ]

From: land of the midnight lotus | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 12 April 2002 11:12 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It existed for Mike Harris. Now I suppose they have to change everything to Ernie Eves, though I don't suppose there will be "Manufacturers of Hair Gel Against Ernie Eves".
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca