today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Testing, 1, 2, 3

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Testing, 1, 2, 3
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 October 2001 08:35 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't mind this thread. I'm trying to post homemade smilies up on a website and then trying to transfer their images here on babble, and I need a testing ground. Didn't want to interfere with other threads, that's all.

First test!

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 October 2001 08:39 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Damn. What am I doing WRONG? Argh... grumble, mutter...

Okay, try again.

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: Michelle ]

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 06 October 2001 08:42 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can you describe them so that I may visualize them?

Undoubtedly, they're spectacular

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 October 2001 08:45 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, they showed up for a brief second, and now they're gone again. Meades, if you want to see them, go HERE.

There's another one I made, but it's crude and obscene so I didn't put it up on the page.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 October 2001 08:48 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And again:

Trisha
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 387

posted 06 October 2001 08:49 PM      Profile for Trisha     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Michelle, your site shows an error notification. Maybe that's the problem.
From: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 October 2001 08:52 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 October 2001 08:55 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey! Are some of them working?? Wow! Okay, let me check this out.

Sigh. Oh well.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 October 2001 08:57 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I'm going bonkers.

When I go from "Today's Active Topics" to this thread, the emoticons work. When I type a message or edit a message and UBB sends me back into the thread again, the emoticons don't work.

But no other emoticons do that. Meades or Trisha, are you seeing any of the emoticons? Or is my computer trying to send me to an early death?

Trisha, the link works fine for me. But then again, I seem to be seeing things you and meades aren't seeing, so go figger.

meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 06 October 2001 09:01 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you right-click on the broken image symbol, and select "View Image", you can see them in photopaint. Or at least I can.

Good job Michelle!

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 October 2001 09:04 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, unfortunately I can't save them in GIF format, not sure why my paint program doesn't allow it, but there you go. So maybe that's the problem - I think emoticons are supposed to be done in GIF and all I can do is save them as BMP.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 06 October 2001 09:07 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Save 'em as JPEGs if you can. Geocities is also very fascist about people linking directly to pictures on members' websites.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 06 October 2001 09:17 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Michelle: Just try to coy and paste it into paint. I was able to do that. If you can't, how do I get the one I saved to you?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 October 2001 10:01 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, really, DrC? Does the jpg format work better? Because I can definitely save them that way.

Let's try it.

Oh, I've made a few more in the meantime. This is fun!

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 October 2001 10:14 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, now I've changed them all to JPG format (which means that none of those links above will work. Sigh.)

Now. Let's see if I can stick those emoticons in here!

Edit: Well it worked, except I just have to right click on the boxes, click on "Show Picture", and then they come up.

Wow. That took me what, 2 hours?

I need a life. What a way to spend a Saturday night.

Oooooooh! Now they're not WORKING again! Damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 October 2001 10:19 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm particularly proud of the Blue's Clues one. It took me a while.
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 06 October 2001 10:48 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Geocities is also very fascist about people linking directly to pictures on members' websites."

(with arched eyebrow, al a Mr. Spock)

Fascinating Doctor. Would you care to explain how you came to discover this information?

No smiley like an old smiley.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 06 October 2001 11:05 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's true. It's a geocities thing, Miss 'Chelle.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 October 2001 11:12 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Damn. Where can I post them from then? Are there any places (preferably FREE) where I can use them?

Does anyone know whether @home websites would work for this purpose? I have cable, so I'm pretty sure I have webspace as well. Maybe I'll just switch my websites over to my @home spot.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 06 October 2001 11:33 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah. Call your @home tech support folks about how to get your webspace activated and then have at it.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 October 2001 10:21 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, my personal home page plus my emoticon pages are up on @home. Woo hoo! And it only took me 3 hours from start to finish! Sigh.

Now.

Let's see if this works:

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 October 2001 10:26 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yay!!! Yay yay yay yay yay!!!!!!!!!! It works!

Okay, I'm so proud of my creations that I just have to show them off!

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Michelle ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 07 October 2001 10:28 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Congratualtions! I see them I see them!

I like number 3 best. But, um, can you tell me what number 6 is?

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 October 2001 10:28 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Woo hoo! (oh, meades, I know you're going to ask: the url is http://members.home.net/custom.emoticons )

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 October 2001 10:33 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Skdadl - It's what you think it is - the finger! Hee hee. Just the thing for heated discussions. I made another emoticon for heated discussions as well, but it's kind of x-rated. A little hint: the caption says "DINK!"

Is the finger not detailed enough to be obvious what it is? Because it's not always obvious to the creator when something doesn't work.

OH MY GOD. Now I know why you asked me what #6 was. Oh man. It looks like...

Okay, erasing.

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Michelle ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 07 October 2001 10:36 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OOOOPS!!!

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: skdadl ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 October 2001 10:46 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, Skdadl, what do you think about the finger now that I've changed the skin colour so you can see the black outlines better?

It's kind of a crude thing anyhow. I made it last night really, really late, so I guess my sense of humour gets a little warped by then.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 07 October 2001 10:51 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I get the finger fine. (As it were. )

My problem is this: I saved my two favourites and then tried to post them here -- but I ended up posting the route to my files instead, which is why I've edited to OOOPS! above.

Someone is going to have to explain to me, step by step and in little words, how to move the finger from my file to this thread. I do have the finger, though.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 October 2001 11:39 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is how you do it. You right click on the image in the message. Then you get a dropdown menu (if you're using explorer - but probably it's pretty much the same for navigator too). On that drop down menu, there should be the word "properties". Click on "properties", and then you'll see the URL for the picture. Highlight that URL, then right click on the highlighted URL, which will give you another drop down menu. Click on "copy" from that menu. Now you've got the URL for that picture on your clipboard, and you can do what you like with it.

To use it in a message on here, you can use one of the editing buttons that babble provides, called "IMAGE" while you're typing your message. First hit "IMAGE", then it will ask you for an URL - just paste the URL in, hit enter, and you should have the image in.

I suppose I really should put the UBB code next to the images on my webpage, so that you can just cut and paste it directly into the text of the message...

Maybe I'll do that now. That might make life easier.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 October 2001 03:36 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just testing:
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 October 2001 03:39 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We need a new one, though, Michelle. How would you visualize an alert for THREAD PROLIFERATION!!! -- ?
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 08 October 2001 04:09 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or DIGRESSION ALERT -- Abandon All Relevance, Ye Who Enter Here!

I'd use it anyway. Lots.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 08 October 2001 04:13 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Can you believe some of the obscene stuff on crack's? Michelle, I'll be CERTAIN to check out the link you just posted! My internet has been down for about a day so I've got lots of babbling to do!

I like this one I shall use it often!

Michelle, again, I LOVE your smilies! They're great!!!

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 October 2001 04:35 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey! How come I'm not finding the SPAM one when I click through, Michelle? Mine ends with angry face -- where is SPAM?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 October 2001 05:19 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SPAM isn't from my site, it's from Crack's, on their "signs" page.

I'll work on those ones - after all, my site IS called "custom emoticons". Hee hee.

Edited to say: my "dink!" emoticon is better. But it's not for minors.

[ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: Michelle ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 October 2001 05:22 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Skdadl, about how to cut and paste from my site - it's now a lot easier than I stated in the message above. I've now put the UBB code right next to each image, so you can just copy that code and paste it right into the text of your message. Much, much easier than all that right-click gobbledygook.
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 08 October 2001 05:51 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I checked out the site, great job Michelle!
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 October 2001 05:58 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Skdadl, what exactly do you mean by thread proliferation? If you tell me, I'll come up with something for you.

As for digression alert, meades...

Well, I'm worried that it would be used against me since I am the self-appointed Queen of Off Topic Posts.

But I'll try to see what I can come up with.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 08 October 2001 06:23 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
As for digression alert, meades...

Well, I'm worried that it would be used against me since I am the self-appointed Queen of Off Topic Posts.

Er, that was me. Who suggested it, that is.

And to paraphrase the old country song, if you're the Queen, that makes me King.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 October 2001 06:35 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But wait a minute - what would that make the Lovely Maria??
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 08 October 2001 06:37 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why, the real-life Queen, of course. She's not Queen of anything on babble, not being a poster here.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 October 2001 06:41 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Excellent point, 'lancelot. However, I do remember her making a brief appearance with a rolling pin... ? (hee hee)
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 08 October 2001 06:54 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, the computer keyboard -- hers, please note -- has been a bit sketchy since. My skull, being of truly startling thickness, was unaffected.
Jebus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1540

posted 25 November 2002 09:38 PM      Profile for Jebus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
test
From: Nietzsche is dead. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 27 November 2002 01:35 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just upgraded my browser from Netscape 4.7 to Netscape 7.0.

Now whenever I use the URL Instant Formatting button below I get sent here, regardless of the URL I paste.

What is http://www.w3.org/, and why has it taken over the URL button????

[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: Arch Stanton ]

From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 27 November 2002 01:37 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm going to giggle now.
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 27 November 2002 01:39 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not so fast, Catboy!

I just figured it out...I think. I looked into the code (or whatever it's called) and see that "http://" was repeated. I took it out and the dat burned link goes where it should.

[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: Arch Stanton ]

Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 27 November 2002 01:40 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All within four minutes.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 27 November 2002 01:43 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
w3.org is the website for the W3C, the standards-setting body for the World Wide Web.
Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 27 November 2002 01:43 AM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: JimmyBrogan ]

From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eauz
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3057

posted 27 November 2002 10:52 PM      Profile for Eauz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think this is the Biggest Smile Face I've seen... It scares me...

Uhhh... if this doesn't work, than I guess I donno how to make a photo appear... anyways, just right click on whatever comes up and go to properties, the photo link is there...

[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: Eauz ]

From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 27 November 2002 11:11 PM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eauz
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3057

posted 11 December 2002 10:01 PM      Profile for Eauz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 11 December 2002 10:24 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gee, a little crowded there?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 26 April 2003 08:40 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 'lance:
Yes, the computer keyboard -- hers, please note -- has been a bit sketchy since. My skull, being of truly startling thickness, was unaffected.

Just testing this cool quoting feature.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca