babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » labour and consumption   » Ford unveils "rolling urban command center"

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Ford unveils "rolling urban command center"
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 20 January 2005 12:28 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

This is one of their concept vehicles at this year's North American International Auto Show and it seems to have everything a paranoid could possibly want:

"When parked and placed in secure mode, SYNUS deploys protective shutters over the windshield and side glass. Small windows on the flanks and roof are non-opening and bullet-resistant. The SYNUS concept also signals security through its use of a driver-side dial operated combination lock on the B-pillar."

Obviously the Hummer just isn't good enough. *sigh* At this rate, I fully expect that within five years someone will come up with a street-legal car that has been modeled on a tank.

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2210

posted 20 January 2005 12:36 AM      Profile for Amy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
oh. good. gravy.

Beyond the ethical concerns (degradation of environment and community connections are the first two) this thing is U-G-L-Y.

Why the hell do people feel the need for bullet proof glass in their cars? (GAaaaaaaaaaaaah.)

From: the whole town erupts and/ bursts into flame | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 20 January 2005 01:39 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This has to be a freakin' joke. Are people really this insecure?
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 20 January 2005 01:45 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like a Honda Element, only larger and made out of aluminum oven liners. When I was a kid we liked our vehicles to look sleek. Now they look like a Lego brick with wheels. Whee.
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 20 January 2005 02:15 AM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's a concept car. It probably won't make it to production. And the thing is so ugly that it won't sell that well. Sure people buy the hummer but that's cool, this thing doesn't have the name recognition. And I doubt it's asthetic qualities will give it the chance to eat into that market. Some people will buy it, if it goes to production, but I doubt it will be a big seller.
Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 20 January 2005 02:25 AM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you're that concerned about your safety...Don't leave the house and order your groceries and do your shopping on the net. Using a fake alias on a secure credit line.

Snappy edit!

I'm about to unveil some "rolling eyes"

[ 20 January 2005: Message edited by: Papal_Bull ]

From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
mayakovsky
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5171

posted 20 January 2005 02:47 AM      Profile for mayakovsky     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You might not believe it now. But in the future everyone will be so rich they will have to drive around in their own Brinks truck.
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 20 January 2005 03:01 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The rich will need something like that to make the pothole filled roads seem less noticable. Perhaps a twin track vehicle similar to the ones that Ford Motor company helped build for the Nazis to drive all over Europe could be as popular now. As our public institutions and infrastructure fall apart further from conservative and liberal neglect, the rich will have to drive past a desperate humanity peering in at them through bullet-proof glass.
From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 20 January 2005 03:28 AM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ugly sells. I see these hideous beasts everywhere along with a dozen other makes as or more ugly.

From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 20 January 2005 04:30 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, goody - a car thread! God, I hate those horrid brick-on-wheels things that the Hummer started. Now there's two Hummers out and a third on the way. Take the Honda Element - please. And the bigger SUV's, ugh. Ford is discontinuing the largest SUV they make - I think it's the Lincoln Expedition, due to poor sales - yea! Personally I drive a small truck, I'm in an isolated area with dirt roads and no road maintenance - which means all winter we use skidoos, and in the spring ATV's until everything dries up a bit. Lots of small trucks here. If our communities here on the coast ever get a bridge connecting us with the mainland, I'll trade my truck for a Mazda3 or something similar when the lease is up. Nice to finally see a car thread. Hope we keep this one going. With all the crapola being contemplated by the auto makers, I think we'll have ammunition enough for the year! There's some neat stuff out there, too, like the new Mini roadster - cute as a bug. (I don't mind the small SUV's especially for those who need these things in the winter or in very rural communities, but I really, really hate Hummers, they just seem so excessive)

[ 20 January 2005: Message edited by: Boom Boom ]

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 20 January 2005 11:41 AM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mayakovsky:
You might not believe it now. But in the future everyone will be so rich they will have to drive around in their own Brinks truck.

But, but, but... if everyone is rich, why would anyone need a Brinks truck?

Something for nothing
New lamps for old
And the streets'll be platinum
Never mind gold

Bruce Cockburn, "Candyman's Gone"

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 20 January 2005 11:43 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hope we can keep this thread alive, here's a car joke from a couple of summers ago:

I went to the store the other day, I was only in there for about 5 minutes and when I came out there was a damn motorcycle cop writing a parking ticket. So I went up to him and said, 'Come on buddy, how about giving a guy a break?' He ignored me and continued writing the ticket. So I called him a pencil necked nazi. He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having bald tires!! So I called him a horse shit. He finished the second ticket and put it on the car with the first. Then he started writing a third ticket!! This went on for about 20 minutes, the more I abused him, the more tickets he wrote. I didn't give a damn. My car was parked around the corner...

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 21 January 2005 02:54 AM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You know, I looked at that thing and I thought "That's the ultimate 21st century American car." Then I looked again . . . naah. Where are the gun ports?
From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 21 January 2005 03:21 AM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually I think that Nissan Murano is asthetically pleasing (it looks good).

quote:
You know, I looked at that thing and I thought "That's the ultimate 21st century American car." Then I looked again . . . naah. Where are the gun ports?

Yeah seriously where's the turret? Hello people we need to have room for that and at least one flamethrower.

Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 21 January 2005 03:32 AM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually I think that Nissan Murano is asthetically pleasing (it looks good)

I rest my case.

From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 21 January 2005 03:46 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyBrogan:

I rest my case.

A different colour would help. That dark orange or burnt sienna hurts my eyes.

arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 21 January 2005 03:28 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can see it being appealing to drug dealers and other crime types who will have lots of cash, and wish to be behind bulletproff glass.

Other than that, never underestimate the power of waning virility to motivate the consumer.

From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 21 January 2005 03:40 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought that about the Humvee.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever searched the heart and stroke foundation's web site for info on smog. They are quite critical. In fact, they describe it as bad as smoking. And yet, they promote the Humvee and other cars as part of their fundraising.

How do they explain a Humvee as a lottery prize in light of their own research on smog? Well, they just don't.

verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 21 January 2005 03:46 PM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like this car:

Is that wrong?

Also, I have to say this thing's pretty cool:

From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 21 January 2005 03:46 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Screw the Hummer. I'd buy a Heart & Stroke Foundation loto ticket if the prize was a high mileage - low polluting econocar like the Civic, Corolla, or Mazda3.

[ 21 January 2005: Message edited by: Boom Boom ]

Agent 204
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4668

posted 21 January 2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Agent 204   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by verbatim:
I like this car:

Is that wrong?

Dunno. I like it too, and it's probably not so bad on gas actually, by the looks of it. Probably not too practical though.

quote:

Also, I have to say this thing's pretty cool:

Can't say I like that one as much.

From: home of the Guess Who | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca