babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » labour and consumption   » Buy Nothing All Year

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Buy Nothing All Year
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 22 April 2003 05:14 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A recent article from Adbusters on barter systems

quote:
Buy Nothing Day comes only once a year, but beyond the carnival antics lies a deeper threat to consumer capitalism. The sun is finally setting on the unaccountable, global bully economy, and rising on a network of local, cash-free alternatives.

There’s the growing web of Local Economic Trading Systems, for example. These “community information systems” score and track the barter of goods and services among members. It’s home-grown, informal and does an end run around the Dow Jones. See Lets-LinkUp.Com for hundreds of LETS spanning the globe.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 22 April 2003 07:10 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A glorious idea.
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 23 April 2003 02:32 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well a great way to move towards a barter economy. However I don't think too many lawyers, soldiers, doctors, singers, or anyone else who does not produce a physical product would be too thrilled with the barter system.
From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 23 April 2003 08:32 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, in the barter club closest to where I live, there is a surfeit of "soft skills" and underemployed freelance professionals. Needless to say, there is a shortage of skilled building and maintenance workers!
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 23 April 2003 10:53 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My wife signed up for "LETS" here in Toronto, but we found it wasn't all that hot. Lots of people who'd type up your resume, type up your essay, proofread, etc., but not a lot in the way of things that people need. Any anything that involves materials as well as labour ended up costing you cash anyway.

I would think that a scaled down version focussing on only one form of labour could work though - for example a community of pet owners who sign on to board or walk other pets. Walk someone else's dog this week, then when you go away next week someone else walks yours. Child caregiving could be another option.

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trisha
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 387

posted 23 April 2003 01:48 PM      Profile for Trisha     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Petsitting is a barter thing where I live. So are some housework exchanges and babysitting. There are a couple of cooking clubs that semi-barter.
From: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca