babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » labour and consumption   » It pays to have university degree

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: It pays to have university degree
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 11 March 2003 12:24 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/03/11/stats_edearn030311
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dale cooper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2946

posted 11 March 2003 12:35 PM      Profile for dale cooper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What about the difference between an arts degree and a pre-professional degree?

Or having one of each?? Am I likely to make more money with an Arts degree and a pre-professional degree or less?

I got turned down for a job once for having both. The ass wouldn't stop laughing because I wasted my time on an Arts degree.

From: Another place | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 11 March 2003 12:37 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The exceptions (immigrants - not broken down by education, and young people up to age 29) are telling as well.

There are still huge barriers, not only "Canadian experience" but the corporatist demands of professional orders who insist on a Canadian university degree. A huge problem for health-care professionals here.

We won't even mention how little it pays to study Italian literature or history ...

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 11 March 2003 01:15 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interestingly, this was posted at cbc.ca on the same day as this:

Students Coping Poorly with High Debt Load

Funny thing is, they both describe me well. I graduated in '98, and while I make a decent salary, I've been paying $425/mo in combined student loans ever since (and will continue to for a while). One hand giveth, and the other hand taketh away... at least until my huge debt is clear.

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 11 March 2003 01:18 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, everyone knows there is no future in history.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
abnormal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1245

posted 11 March 2003 07:00 PM      Profile for abnormal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
More complete information re income can be found here and some specific info re income distributions can be found here.

[ 11 March 2003: Message edited by: abnormal ]

From: far, far away | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 11 March 2003 09:02 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pax:

Also, the deep philosophical question is, "Would you like fries with that?"

Aww, I've got a million of 'em...

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 11 March 2003 11:09 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interest on student loans is also tax-deductible, which begs the question of why the government (which controls the loan program directly now) even bothers to charge interest on student loans.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 12 March 2003 01:07 AM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now that my student loans are paid off (they were very small -- I don't know if I was clever or just lucky), I am considering going back. I could have a terminal degree in 3 years. It wouldn't make me rich, but it would be interesting.
From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Ziegler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 225

posted 13 March 2003 12:58 AM      Profile for Sine Ziegler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Aww c'mon Dr. Conway, you only get 16% of a non refundable tax credit on your student loan interest anyway. That does not translate into cancelling interest on student loans.

Don't get me wrong, I think post secondary public institutions should be free in Canada, and that private schools should be limited.

I don't see why there should not be interest on student loans. There is interest on everything else and the loaners deserve the equivalent treatment and FMV.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 13 March 2003 02:18 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, as *I* see it the government should be issuing grants anyway, not loans.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aviator
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3299

posted 15 March 2003 11:10 AM      Profile for Aviator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I could "do it over again", I would never have gotten a university degree. I would have learned trade and gotten my commercial pilot's license.
From: British Columbia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
steffie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3826

posted 26 March 2003 09:13 PM      Profile for steffie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As one on the brink of graduating with an Arts degree (English), I am concerned with the vast generalizations made, even on the CBC web site quoting percentages of Canadians with degrees and what they made. I do think any degree is better than none, but there's something to be said for the current job market (if it sucks it sucks for everyone) and one's own ability to sell oneself in said market.

For me, I had no choice but to further my education. There was no chance of getting past minimum wage without it. And even with a degree, I still work for a *cough* taxi company. Anybody out there hiring writers/editors? I can freelance... *sigh* Once my loan payments begin rolling in, I should be good and panicky.

From: What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow / Out of this stony rubbish? | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 27 March 2003 12:31 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think this is accurate. Right now the trades are actually very big. Perhaps moreso here in Alberta than in other places, but the fact still remains that there is a LOT of money in the skilled trades. But for some odd reason, this is not reflected in the StatsCan report...
From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
R. J. Dunnill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1148

posted 26 April 2003 04:27 PM      Profile for R. J. Dunnill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Right now the trades are actually very big. Perhaps moreso here in Alberta than in other places, but the fact still remains that there is a LOT of money in the skilled trades.
Yeah, that's what I'm hearing. When I'm finished my BTech in Computer Systems, if the IT job market (which is 100% dead right now) hasn't improved, I think I'm going to go in for a trade. One of my old instructors was quite miffed to hear that, for some reason.

Bizarre how the Canadian governnment and the ITAC continue to insist that there is a terrible shortage of IT personnel in Canada, which necessitates a fast-track work visa program (which the U.K. and German had but dropped due to the downturn). Meanwhile, job prospects for IT grads in Canada are so dismal that enrollment in such programs is plummetting.

RD

Kindred
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3285

posted 26 April 2003 04:55 PM      Profile for Kindred     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Steffie check this out
http://www.journalismjobs.com/

From: British Columbia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 26 April 2003 08:58 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
or my favourite: http://www.jeffgaulin.com
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca