babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » body and soul   » the virtues of quitting, leaving, dropping it all

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: the virtues of quitting, leaving, dropping it all
Geneva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3808

posted 16 April 2008 05:43 AM      Profile for Geneva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
deleting some stuff from ancient Favourites, and came on this 1996 special issue of Utne Reader that I had bookmarked way back

a special issue devoted to the virtues of quitting:
dropping everything, stopping, ending things, moving on, abandoning projects, efforts, whatever:
http://www.utne.com/1996-09-01/Spirituality/JustQuit.aspx

http://www.utne.com/1996-09-01/TheQuittingWay.aspx

http://www.utne.com/1996-09-01/Media/MoviestoQuitBy.aspx

they point out in the Intro that most moral maxims etc emphasize the benefits of persistence:

Persistence pays,
patience pays,
don't burn your bridges,
try try again,
Rome wasn't built in a day,

and so on (and on)

On the other hand, how many futile efforts are continued indefinitely?

Worth a thought. Enjoy the discussion: I'm leaving now, ha.

[ 16 April 2008: Message edited by: Geneva ]

David Warren
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14615

posted 16 April 2008 04:25 PM      Profile for David Warren   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you, thank you for this link! This gives me a little faith in what I'm about to embark on. I haven't yet parsed the entire article yet -- but the sense of freedom that quitting has instilled in me is shared by others. Again, thank you.
From: a small tiny quaint town | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Erik Redburn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5052

posted 16 April 2008 06:45 PM      Profile for Erik Redburn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ha, that's one of the few virtues I didn't need rigourous training in.
From: Broke but not bent. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Geneva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3808

posted 17 April 2008 02:03 AM      Profile for Geneva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Warren:
Thank you, thank you for this link! This gives me a little faith in what I'm about to embark on.

gee, my good deed for the day off the To-Do list
besides, I too was studying Philosophy about the year you were born, and since that time I have moved moved moved, switched cities repeatedly, but kept broadly the same professional profile, albeit with wildly varying incomes

so change happens: just depends how much stress and strain you take with it

one thing: any study of adult development shows there are cycles of change, and certainly the age-30 jump was a huge and jarring one for me - I repudiated much of the life of my 20s -, as perhaps you are finding, too

[ 17 April 2008: Message edited by: Geneva ]

David Warren
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14615

posted 22 April 2008 11:59 PM      Profile for David Warren   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well I finally succumbed -really I should say embraced- to my own philosophical beliefs and quit.

I, definitely, could say I have been repudiating my last ten years of existence and feeling quite light-hearted and liberated by it. A tad bit of fright - indeed, but what's life without it? I did this about seven years ago career wise and location, however I had support of a significant other that time.

[ 23 April 2008: Message edited by: David Warren ]

From: a small tiny quaint town | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca