FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » body and soul   » assault

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: assault
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 09 April 2008 11:14 PM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very annoying when it happens to you. It happened to me this evening. A fat lip, a few lumps on my head, a couple of shots to the liver, and a bruised ego was the immediate damage. The other guy has a few crushed fingers, possibly broken.

I've been helping out an acquaintance in difficult circumstances but drew the line at enabling his addictive behavior. Probably should have seen it coming. My caretaker asked me if I had insurance after we made sure the assailant had left the building. Then he asked me if my keys were the only ones. (Yup.)

Am reluctant to involve the police but I would probably advice someone else in my shoes to do so.
The weird thing is that I was more concerned about protecting my expensive glasses than in protecting myself and even took a few shots to do so. But then, I've had to replace glasses in the past and they aren't cheap. Some people just fight dirty.

The assailant is homeless and his mom recently called me to find him. However, he's banned from the parental home. Do I tell mom what her lovely boy has done?

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 09 April 2008 11:46 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Beaten but not bowed. Good to hear you are alright.

Don't go out of your way to tell his mom, at least not the full story. Could downplay it at least. That kind of thing is always a shake up.

Police? Would that do any good? That is the bottom line with that. You might report it just in case there are other reprecussions later, come to think of it. So you could report it but down play it with them too, maybe.

Tough call.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 10 April 2008 12:04 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I can wait for "mom" to call again, which may be a while, as she called in the past few days. At that point, I could simply inform her that as a result of a dispute I am no longer in contact with "junior" and she'll need to find herself another source of information.

I have some experience with reporting assaults in the past. In once case it involved theft of personal property and the cops were, on the whole, quite helpful. I got my belongings back. But this time around there was nothing stolen, as far as I know, and, in fact, the assailant, by virtue of being homeless, has left quite a few belongings in my possession. So I've got a little leverage, which may be very handy to ensure that there's no repetition of this evening's events.

Anyway, thanks for the positive words. It's still disconcerting to have someone pounding away at your head and wondering if they've got a weapon as well that they intend to use. He's a big kid too - 6.3 or 6.4 and I'm only 5.8.

But I'm an annoying 5.8. Heh.

[ 10 April 2008: Message edited by: N.Beltov ]

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 10 April 2008 12:13 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well I am thinking that you could report the incident, not in order to get retribution, but to secure yourself, if something happens later tonight. Having though about it a little, I think this might be wise. You could, only give them a general description and no last name, and even tell them you don't really want to have him charged, and don't want to pursues it but report the incident, nonetheless. At least that way there is a some kind of paper trail.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 10 April 2008 12:25 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since this is someone who I'm likely to see in a social setting at some point then that's probably a good idea. The police and fire department know who he is already, however, so I'm not sure how they will react.

Maybe they will have some good advice for disposing of his belongings. If I give them that info, that is.

N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 10 April 2008 12:32 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Time for rest. Tomorrow is another day. What new aggravations await me?
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 10 April 2008 01:03 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hopefuly only a little trolling.
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 10 April 2008 11:07 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Someone that size can really hurt you, N.B. I'm a little bigger than you, and I would not tolerate rough stuff from someone that size. Unless he offers a sincere apology, you have no further reason to endure the abuse. Do what you have to, but you're too precious for the news page which lists all the people who've suddenly quit drinking and smoking, if you know what I mean.
From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 10 April 2008 11:48 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fidel, I'm actually sorry I can't give more details as some of them are quite amusing (after the fact).

I had one weak moment when I almost brained the idiot with his own bottle of whatever but managed to keep cool and just take a few shots to the head. My assailant had to build up his courage with extra glugs of booze and self-talk prior to taking a few swings at me. It was a bit of a slow motion ballet and I wasn't harmed enough even to get really mad. I'm very pleased with myself about not escalating the situation, which would have been easy to do, especially given my own family history, and I'm even feeling a little smug about that.

I won a fine victory over myself and my martial arts training has served me very well. But I won't allow myself to get in that situation again and I've learned something about the harmfulness of enabling someone in a downward spiral of addictions and substance abuse.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca