babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » body and soul   » Was Moses high on psychedelic drugs?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Was Moses high on psychedelic drugs?
Ghislaine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14957

posted 05 March 2008 04:59 AM      Profile for Ghislaine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After the heated debate over religion and science last week, I thought babblers would enjoy this:

quote:
High on Mount Sinai, Moses was on psychedelic drugs when he heard God deliver the Ten Commandments, an Israeli researcher claimed in a study published this week.

Such mind-altering substances formed an integral part of the religious rites of Israelites in biblical times, Benny Shanon, a professor of cognitive psychology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem wrote in the Time and Mind journal of philosophy.

"As far Moses on Mount Sinai is concerned, it was either a supernatural cosmic event, which I don't believe, or a legend, which I don't believe either, or finally, and this is very probable, an event that joined Moses and the people of Israel under the effect of narcotics," Shanon told Israeli public radio on Tuesday.

Moses was probably also on drugs when he saw the "burning bush", suggested Shanon, who said he himself has dabbled with such substances.

Nanuq
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8229

posted 05 March 2008 05:07 AM      Profile for Nanuq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Noah was the one who should have gone into rehab. Genesis even described his drunken binge after landing the ark.
martin dufresne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11463

posted 05 March 2008 06:42 AM      Profile for martin dufresne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can see the Scriptures being entirely rewritten from a Just Say No to God perspective... (what WAS hanging off that Tree of Knowledge?)

[ 05 March 2008: Message edited by: martin dufresne ]

From: "Words Matter" (Mackinnon) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
B_Nichol
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8212

posted 05 March 2008 08:00 AM      Profile for B_Nichol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Moses high? Sounds plausible.
The bible says that Moses wandered the Sinai desert for 40 years. How big is the Sinai desert? 40 miles across.

"Hey man, am I driving OK?"
"I think we're parked, man."

From: North-central-Southern Alberta | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca