FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » body and soul   » Wee Travel Trailers

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Wee Travel Trailers
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 03 April 2005 08:48 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just bought this little trailer.

It looks like an airstream, but it isn't. It was built in Canada around 1974 by a company called Travelux from, I believe, Toronto.

Has anyone ever heard of these things? Has anyone ever had one? I can't find any info on them, even with the magic of Google.

Anyway, it is cute, and shiny and cool.

[ 04 April 2005: Message edited by: Jingles ]

From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Suzette
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7708

posted 03 April 2005 08:50 PM      Profile for Suzette     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh wow, that is just soooooo cool! And I'm extremely envious! Would you mind posting your address so I can come and steal it? Thanks.
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 04 April 2005 01:20 AM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not a chance.
From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 04 April 2005 08:36 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've heard people say that campers made in Canada tend to be a little higher quality than those made south of the border. Especially with respect to wiring and insulation. That's a fine trailer. Change your transmission fluid and maybe look into an external transmission fluid radiator?. I dunno. Never had a trailer before.
From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 04 April 2005 08:56 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jingles, that is just sooo groooovy.

Can you show us some of the insides? And may I have a ride?

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 04 April 2005 10:06 AM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is cute. Does it have a little stovetop in it?

I saw a new trailer at a home show the other day (way out of my price range!) that had a small, hard body, but the front and back opened out into beds like a tent-trailer. It had a little stove in it, which would be soooo cool to have if it rains when you're camping. We just have a tent, so it's cold food if it rains.

From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
chester the prairie shark
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6993

posted 05 April 2005 05:23 PM      Profile for chester the prairie shark     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
nice! i haven't seen one of those but the tiny trailer in general has a big following. here trillium restorationis a site about restoring trilliums with a link to some boler restorations.
Kent G
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9347

posted 27 May 2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Kent G     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jingles, My family has a 31 foot Travelux we bought in 1975 and still use to this day. I saw your post by Googling "Travelux" and so I registered here so I could tell you what I know. Then yesterday I am on the highway to the Halifax Airport and right there on the highway is a Travelux the same size as your being towed along, it had been painted white. My Dad has the original literature and all the manuals for the various systems, I can tell you they are very well built. 5 years ago my Dad had the interior removed so the floor could be replaced and it is a triple frame underneath and the interior was reinstalled as it was originally with the exception of the vinyl that lines the interior was removed and the interior was painted. Very nice find since vintage trailer are hughly popular now. All the systems are standard trailer stuff that are common to any brand of trailer so the fridge, furnace, water heater etc can be reparted or replaced very easy. Anything else just ask.
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 27 May 2005 01:18 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good show, Jingles. It looks great. Get yourself a trailer maintenance book (usually available in auto parts stores) with wiring schemes. For some reason that only manufacturers will understand, the wires in your trailer will not correspond to those in your tow vehicle. If you get mixed up at the connecting plug, nasty things can happen. Those little repair books can pay for themselves.

Happy camping.

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scubadude
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9406

posted 28 May 2005 04:28 PM      Profile for Scubadude     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have the exact same trailer and because of your post I now know what it is. I have been looking since fall for information on it as I thought it was an airstraeam(all markings are gone).
Today when I was scraping some paint off I came upon the letters trav--ux and with that was able to find you. and what my trailer is so thank you.
By the way do you have a 150 pound chunk of lead, shaped like a pie wedge in the front drivers side corner as well??

From: New Brunswick | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 28 May 2005 11:31 PM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chester the prairie shark:
nice! i haven't seen one of those but the tiny trailer in general has a big following. here trillium restorationis a site about restoring trilliums with a link to some boler restorations.

Chester,

Your link didn't work for me, but I sure wish it did. Trilliums are now being made in Calgary. I have one that looks like this:

From Trillium Trailers

They are wonderful! Fridge, stove and sink, comfortably sleeps 3 - 4 (if the fourth person weighs about 10 lbs -- or is someone you don't particularly care for). Light and easy to pull. The only problem I have is backing the sucker up . . .

From: Of course we could have world peace! But where would be the profit in that? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
libbyliterati
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14163

posted 21 May 2007 09:14 PM      Profile for libbyliterati     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

libbyliterati
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14163

posted 21 May 2007 09:21 PM      Profile for libbyliterati     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How do I post a picture here?
siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 21 May 2007 09:27 PM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heck. I thought I killed this thread 2 years ago.

Are you the seller of this trailer, libbyliterati?

From: Of course we could have world peace! But where would be the profit in that? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 22 May 2007 12:50 PM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
heh heh heh. Dealt the thread another blow....
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 22 May 2007 05:14 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jingles:
I just bought this little trailer.

I've seen lots of these over the years, in Ottawa, and northern Ontario, although none recently.

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 22 May 2007 05:19 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by siren:
Trilliums are now being made in Calgary.

Neat trailer. I'd love one to pull behind my small truck when I go out once a year. The curved edges make it more aerodynamic than those big ugly square things.

mayakovsky
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5171

posted 22 May 2007 05:25 PM      Profile for mayakovsky     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is that a Dodge Dart pulling that trailer? Full on retro if it is!
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 22 May 2007 05:31 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought it was a Pontiac Temptest, from the rear roofline.
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 22 May 2007 05:32 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've seen lots of these over the years, in Ottawa, and northern Ontario, although none recently.

It was built in Ontario, but seems to be not so common out here. I've seen two others.

quote:
Dealt the thread another blow...

Heh. That was two years ago. To update, I've only stripped the interior so far. The plywood floor needs to be replaced, as does all the insulation (musty, mildewy, and moldy. Not so good with asthma). I've been checking out the Airstream forums, and they're cuckoo nuts about the tin cans. There are some owners who've replaced and re-riveted most of the aluminum shell, built new stainless steel frames, and otherwise turn the things into works of art. Kinda intimidating, yet also quite inspiring. If these guys can do it in their driveways, then so can I......

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 22 May 2007 05:37 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Say you're driving out with one of these things, where do you park for the night? I don't recall seeing too many trailer parks in my travels. And, if the trailer has a toilet, how does one dispose of that waste?
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 22 May 2007 05:51 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jeez, BoomBoom, you are back in the woods.

In Alberta, travel trailer dealerships line highway 2 like maggots on a BSE cow. Park 'em anywhere, and you can dump the black water in any town or campground with a sewage dump.

Polly Brandybuck
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7732

posted 22 May 2007 08:24 PM      Profile for Polly Brandybuck     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boom Boom, most provincial camp sites will have a dumping station complete with running water to hose things down in the event of a splash.

We had a little trailer like that for years and I loved it. Too small for all the kids though, so now we have tents for them and trailer for the old folks.

From: To Infinity...and beyond! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
libbyliterati
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14163

posted 23 May 2007 01:21 AM      Profile for libbyliterati     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would never sell that trailer! What a great photo, hey? I thought it would look great on the back of my 1993 Cutlass Ciera, but I got the message tonight that they already sold it! I was a bit too late!

Very retro!

Libby

libbyliterati
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14163

posted 23 May 2007 01:25 AM      Profile for libbyliterati     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jingles,

That's the photo that I was talking about. Love it!

Siren, thanks for posting it for me!

Libby

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 23 May 2007 11:26 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're going to tow that trailer in front of me, going 10k under the speed limit aren't you?

Sigh.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 23 May 2007 11:32 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I used to like having a small camper on the back of my Toyota truck in the 1980s. However, it was plain nasty to drive into the city with it, as rear visibility wasn't terribly good with the camper. One of these small trailers might fit the ticket with my current Mazda truck - I guess you can park the trailer someplace and go in the city with the truck. I wonder how you lock a trailer so someone doesn't drive off with it? Maybe block the axles with a chain and padlock?
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 23 May 2007 12:11 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Get an "I love Ben Mulroney" bumpersticker for it.

No one will steal it then.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 23 May 2007 12:39 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

libbyliterati
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14163

posted 24 May 2007 01:17 AM      Profile for libbyliterati     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Only so you can have a better look at my I love Ben Mulroney bumper sticker Tommy.
Travelux Guy
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14898

posted 22 January 2008 04:17 AM      Profile for Travelux Guy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello all; just adding some info regarding Travelux Trailers. My dad was I believe the first plant manager and initiator of a Canadian made streamline trailer. I still have the scale model he built. I am trying to put together a company history and listing of all still existing trailers. Any info and pictures on your trailers would be appreciated. They were
manufactured in Toronto starting in 1966 or 1967
(have viewed a 1967) moved to second location in Toronto. Moved to Newmarket in early 1970's (have
sales broucher 1973) Final move to Bradford Ont.
I believe they were out of business by 1979. Some
of the last ones were white with white spoked wheels, I also believe they made some triaxles for the middle east or South Africa. I will update as my search continues. Regerds Roger.

From: Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 22 January 2008 08:47 AM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My thread is like a Journey song!

Thanks for the info, Travelux guy. I've PM'd you.

ricky76ca
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14901

posted 27 January 2008 04:32 AM      Profile for ricky76ca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I recently bought a 1971- 23' travelux trailer to by surprise I found a bag full of specifications anyone looking for some pic's on spec's email me. Anyone with any tip's on restoring a travelux trailer plz email me . THANKS
Ausay
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15162

posted 25 April 2008 05:39 AM      Profile for Ausay   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
New to the thread...I currently just bought a 1979 Travelux. i have been trying to look for information on them and this is the only site I have found. Mine is currently all taken apart in the inside to replace the floor and the vinyl on the walls (which I have to clue what to do!!!) Could someone send me pictures of the inside of the trailer so I can see what they look like and maybe a little advise on how to put the new vinyl on the walls....I am very excited about my new project.....

Just in case your wondering bought the trailer with it all torn apart inside the guy didn't have time to finish is so now it is going to be my project...let's see how it turns out!

From: windsor, ontario | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca