FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » body and soul   » Playoffs

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Playoffs
Adam Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3034

posted 14 April 2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Adam Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who is everyone rooting for and so on?

I'm all about Vancouver. But any Canadian team is good.

Eauz
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3057

posted 14 April 2003 10:00 PM      Profile for Eauz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Though Toronto Always seems to choak when they really should be playing well, I'm rooting for Toronto because I've always been for Toronto Teams. But if they don't win, than Ottawa should.
From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 15 April 2003 12:01 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
GO OILERS!

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
cynic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2857

posted 15 April 2003 01:47 AM      Profile for cynic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've always been for Toronto Teams. But if they don't win, than Ottawa should.

Do you like sticking your hand into hornet's nests? I imagine Sens fans would be a trifle miffed at the suggestion that theirs is a Toronto Team. If my understanding is correct, most Sens fans would rather gnaw off a limb than root for the Evil Leafs.
Of course I may be mistaken, as the Edmonton-Calgary rivalry may be colouring my perceptions...

From: Calgary, unfortunately | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 15 April 2003 02:10 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anaheim Ducks lead Detroit 3-0.

Can Manny Legace bail out Joe Curtis?

...or will the Wings suffer a SWEEP?

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tommy Shanks
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3076

posted 15 April 2003 12:02 PM      Profile for Tommy Shanks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First, in order of support:

Leafs, born and bred fan so there is no other first choice.
If, however the revered Blue and White lose I'll pull for:

1. Oilers
2. Vancouver

I'd never pull for Jersey, Philly, Dallas, and now, a bit sadly, Detroit.

And I've got a special little cold corner of my heart reserved for Ottawa.

the rest, I could care less about.

quote:
Can Manny Legace bail out Joe Curtis?

Only unless Manny has been reincarnated as Terry Sawchuk. HAHA, as Neslon would say.

[ 15 April 2003: Message edited by: Tommy Shanks ]

themorninglight
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3050

posted 15 April 2003 12:24 PM      Profile for themorninglight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As a Toronto lad I have to say Leafs all the way. However, if they do blow it against Philly, I'm gonna be cheering for the Flyers. I despise the Senators and the Devils. No other team from the East really has a chance, imo.

As for the West, I think the team to beat will be Colorado, as much as I hate to admit it.

ben_al
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3427

posted 15 April 2003 04:27 PM      Profile for ben_al     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Toronto first, then Edmonton, Vancouver and Ottawa in that order
From: Kitchener, ON | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 15 April 2003 04:34 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I put my dollars where my picks are - Ottawa, Vancouver, Toronto, Colorado. In that order. I'm looking pretty stupid for picking Vancouver at this point, but pretty smart for not picking Philly and Detroit (as everyone else in my pool did). I guess I'm Mr. Average.

Remember, it's a long, long, long, long road to the Stanley Cup. Anything can happen. Speaking of things happening, any word on Mogilny's health? Was he really hurt, or was it just one of those painful-yet-non-serious injuries?

Go Oilers! You may have confused my picks, but I still loves ya!

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 15 April 2003 04:45 PM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
AlMo is fine - just some stitches inside and outside his mouth. Both him and Roberts, who also left the bench during OT, are expected to play on Wednesday night.
From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3034

posted 16 April 2003 03:09 PM      Profile for Adam Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He failed a baseline test, and will be out for at least a game. He was my top player in my pool.
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 16 April 2003 04:57 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Got my idea for a sign I'd love to see at Skyreach for Game 6:

Coach,
Bench
Comrie

The former can't miss kid played 10 minutes of Game 4 and was brutal for every second of them. Put in Chimera.

The only teams I'm rooting for are Edmonton, Ottawa, Tampa and whoever is playing Toronto (unless its Dall-ass, in which case it's "Go Expos!")

themorninglight
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3050

posted 17 April 2003 12:15 PM      Profile for themorninglight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Red Wings swept. Unbelievable.

And the Canucks are on the bubble.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 17 April 2003 01:09 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Red Wings swept. Unbelievable.

...while Eddie put in the most heroic goaltending performance in recent memory. Yeah well, so what if the Leafs lost, it was a magnificent defeat.

Good riddance to Joe Curtis. The guy has reflexes, he was a saint in Toronto, but he's a proven loser. (I guess I should "get over it" though, huh?).

How about that D'Arcy Tucker? My favourite psycho-banana hockey player. Sometimes that gleam in his eyes makes him look like Tuco (Eli Wallach) in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly."

Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 17 April 2003 04:48 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yay Ducks! Yes, they're owned by Disney, yes they have the worst name and uniform in sports, and yes you could fit the tried-and-true Anaheim hockey faithful in a phone booth, but damn if they didn't derve the win. Plus, it's great to see Paul Kariya, a fine hockey player and a class act, enjoy some success after sticking with that train-wreck franchise for as long as he has.

Belfour will be replaying that Recchi shot over and over again, I bet. Hope Philly finishes 'em off next game and then gets trounced in the next round. I hate Bob Clarke almost as much as I hate the Leafs.

How 'bout them Blues? It'd be nice to see them go far. The 'nucks, as usual, are proving to be all sizzle and no steak.

Dvorak is out. I fear the end is nigh for the boys from Browntown...

cynic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2857

posted 17 April 2003 06:22 PM      Profile for cynic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was something to see the Ducks sweep the defending Stanley Cup champs at home, in overtime, and see the stands about half-full. At 10:30 in the evening. The people that were there were clapping politely. If this had happened in Edmonton, the roof of Skyreach would be floating down the North Saskatchewan River.
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 17 April 2003 06:43 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
been a leafs fan since bobby baun days. they're like a relative you can't stand half the time.
the canucks are gonna have to put an end to the sedin experiment before they go anywhere.
luv to see the wings flame out, and chelios gone.

Pogo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2999

posted 17 April 2003 07:14 PM      Profile for Pogo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Sedin's are solid 2nd/3rd line players. Not worth their spot in the draft, but solid contributors. I think that the problem with the Canucks is that they play an open style and have trouble adjusting to playoff hockey. The Blues in particular are a team built to stop the Canucks.
CocaCola58204
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2900

posted 17 April 2003 07:41 PM      Profile for CocaCola58204     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Coming to a theatre near you....

D$: Miracle in Detroit (Though we'll be stuck with Emilio Estevez again)

One Note: this is the possibly the first team in sports to be named after the movies. Was there an CA/Anahiem Angels when the original "Angels in the Outfield" was made

From: Grand Forks AFB, ND | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eauz
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3057

posted 18 April 2003 10:07 PM      Profile for Eauz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 18 April 2003 10:39 PM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Eauz, that is classic.

BTW, Avs, Sens final; Colorado in six. (Five if Roy doesn't give one away.)

From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 19 April 2003 02:49 AM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We pause a moment to note a sad anniversary - - - this year is the 75th year since an American team first won the Stanley Cup (New York Rangers in 1928.) We should never have taught them the game.

From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 19 April 2003 04:55 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Taught who? How many USians played for the Rangers in 1928? I betcha the team was 99-100% Canadian.
Eauz
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3057

posted 19 April 2003 09:19 AM      Profile for Eauz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Eauz, that is classic.
... by Flowers By Irene

It WAS, seems like the server it was on is down or not working. I get the message saying this...

quote:
Dear Member,

Your account has exceeded the traffic quota limit for the day.
Please try your action again later.

If you require further information or explanation for this error,
you may contact your customer support representative.

Your Support Team

Oh well, for those who saw the photo, I hope you enjoyed it. I'll give the photo a day, and if nothing shows up, I might just del the post I did, because there is no real reason to have a blank photo posted...

ValleyGirl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2315

posted 19 April 2003 12:49 PM      Profile for ValleyGirl        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Vancouver wins the Stanley Cup--ever--I will eat a hockey puck.Oh well,I lost interst in the game when the over-priced Wayne Gretzky ruined the game of hockey for Average Canadians.What's it cost for a ticket?I guess I could try selling my kids.
From: Slocan;British Columbia | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
themorninglight
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3050

posted 19 April 2003 02:33 PM      Profile for themorninglight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
We pause a moment to note a sad anniversary - - - this year is the 75th year since an American team first won the Stanley Cup (New York Rangers in 1928.) We should never have taught them the game.

Who cares? To me good hockey transcends national boundaries. Almost half the players in the NHL are Canadian anyway.

bakunin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3991

posted 19 April 2003 04:27 PM      Profile for bakunin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
pro sports are poop
From: we may not convince you but we'll convince your children | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3034

posted 21 April 2003 07:00 AM      Profile for Adam Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why?
Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 22 April 2003 03:37 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Canucks are going to take it tonight, baybee!!!! Game seven is the best, isn't it?

But, what happens if the Leafs and Flyers are in OT, and the Vancouver game is starting?!?!?! I'm in Ontario, so, I'll probably be SOL.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 22 April 2003 04:04 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Go Canucks!

Go Leafs!

Go Avalanche!?

Go all teams still on my pool roster!

Boston: You suck!

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
cynic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2857

posted 22 April 2003 05:03 PM      Profile for cynic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised there hasn't been a stink about New Jersey deliberately throwing game 4 against the Bruins. They dominated the previous 3 games completely, yet get blown away so that they can win the series at home. I thought the NHL frowned on that sort of Black Sox nonsense.
Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 23 April 2003 02:16 AM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Leafs out... I don't care. Poop on the leafs.

Canucks are moving on... good stuff.

What?!?!? Colorado lost to Minnesota? Ack, my world is turning upside down. Oh well, go Vancouver. (I now revise my earlier prediction; the finals will be Sens vs. Canucks. ABC won't like it, but who cares. Lets see an all-Canada Cup final!!)

From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 April 2003 02:21 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nooooooooooooooooooo! And to Philadelphia too.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 April 2003 02:26 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nooooooooooooooooooo! And to Philadelphia too.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
Babbler # 3804

posted 23 April 2003 02:29 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ 23 April 2003: Message edited by: Gir Draxon ]

Gir Draxon
Babbler # 3804

posted 23 April 2003 02:29 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, since the Oilers lost, GO SENATORS!!!
Youngfox
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3750

posted 23 April 2003 02:42 AM      Profile for Youngfox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

GO!

Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 23 April 2003 02:52 AM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ha-ha! to Leafs fans. A big fat Ha-ha!

Seeing the leafs implode makes it almost worthwhile to have the rest of the playoffs go on without the Avs, who are usually good for at least three (mostly quite exciting) rounds.

Perhaps Colorado was so focused on the Detroit rivalry that they were ever-so eager to continue it on the golf course. Pity, I love watching Forsberg, (and Sakic as well) play (hockey). Oh well, at least the Leafs still suck, so I know the world is not any nearer it's end.

Ed to note:

Since Quebec(-an appropriate reference given the first round defeat, as much as I hate to admit it) Colorado is done, I will now jump onto the bandwagon of either Ottawa or Vancouver, whichever goes farthest. If it really is a Sens/'nucks final, I will pee with glee. No, really, I will pee. With glee. Glee, dammit.

If neither make the final, I will not watch NHL hockey between late June and early October, I promise.

[ 23 April 2003: Message edited by: Flowers By Irene ]

Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 23 April 2003 09:45 AM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Soooo . . .

How about that Mike Weir?

From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 23 April 2003 10:22 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now the only question which remains is who to scapegoat. My first reaction is Owen Nolan, who looked like an iron bar skating through the whole series (stiff and inflexible - kinda like Lindros on muscle relaxants).

But seriously, I am now hoping for an Ottawa - Vancouver final. One of the advantages of living in an NHL-free zone is that you are allowed to bandwagon all you please. So there. The end of the world ain't quite nigh.

Edited to add:

The Halifax Mooseheads won 6-2 last night against the Baie-Comeau Drakkar! Go Moose! Only down 2-1 in the series now! Take inspiration from Minnesota and Vancouver!

[ 23 April 2003: Message edited by: Sarcasmobri ]

kuba walda
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3134

posted 23 April 2003 12:58 PM      Profile for kuba walda        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
GO CANUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night was one of the happiest of my hockey watching days! Given the defeatest attitude the Canucks can have I thought oh well, that's it after the goal by the Blues went in after only a minute or so of play........

But the boys battled back --- and kept up the pressure. I hope this is the team that comes out for the rest of the CUP. Ultimate goal of the night Trevor Linden

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CANUCKS!!

Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 23 April 2003 01:10 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WHOOOO-HOOOOO!!!!

They really took it to them!!!

Bring on Minnesota!!!

Sorry, Leafs fans, but the team looked asleep on their skates, understandable considering they played back-to-back games after so much overtime. I didn't like Nolan's play either, though, I don't think he's to blame.

GO CANUCKS!!!!

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 23 April 2003 01:14 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah, well. I didn't do terribly bad in my predictions.

Not as well as Jimmy Brogan, calling the Ducks over the Wings-- although not in a sweep. But still, who'd a thunk it?

I did say watch out for Jacques Lemaire's Wild, didn't I? But, I wasn't bold enough to predict an upset.

I'm not the first, nor will I be the last, to underestimate Lemaire's ability to pull a mediocre team into contendability.

Oilers were spirited, more than I gave them credit for.

Vancouver.

Vancouver will regret going to game seven with St. Louis by about game five of the next round. See if they don't.

Ah, the poor Leafs. It was my view that this team would "jell" as the games went on, and that Philly had to dispatch them early. I would have bet anything that the Leafs would win a seven game series.

My guess is that all the changes, with the injuries never allowed that to happen. And, Belfour being spotty was enough to justify last nights game seven blow out.

It will be interesting to see how many of the late season aquisitions made by Quinn stick around for next year, and how the team forms around that.

Hope springs eternal in Leaf land, but I say the dividends of this years trades won't pay off until next spring.

..and Flowers....

pthpthpthpthpthpthpth.

And a very liquid pthpthpthpthpthpthpth at that.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 23 April 2003 01:15 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, I don't condone scapegoating. It was a bit of a joke. But only a bit of a joke...when the Nolan trade was announced, I thought he'd make all the difference, considering his career with San Jose. I think he must've been playing through back spasms to have been so incredibly Lindros-like (i.e. useless).
Pogo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2999

posted 23 April 2003 01:17 PM      Profile for Pogo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At game 4, all the Vancouver talk shows were all over Brian Burke for not adding much (Brad May) at the trading deadline. Particularly pointed too were St. Louis (Osgood), and Toronto (Nolan, Wesley, Gilbert, Housley). I think Detroit and Colorado stocked up also.

How quickly things change. Now you would have to look hard to find a deadline aquisition that has contributed (Steve Thomas is one)

Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 23 April 2003 01:48 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seeing the Leafs flame out in spectacular fashion has really dulled the pain of the Oilers' pathetic effort against Dallas. Here's hoping the Wild can keep rolling against the Great Satan from the Big D.
How sweet would a Vancouver/Ottawa final be? Though I imagine Gary Bettman probably breaks into a cold sweat at the very idea of all-Canadian Stanley Cup.

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 23 April 2003 01:52 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ain't gonna happen. Vancouver will run out of gas in this round, if not the next for sure, and Ottawa will founder on the rocks of New Jersey, sooner or later.
From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 24 April 2003 06:53 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
wanna know what makes bettman wake up screaming; tampa and anaheim playing for the cup in june in front of twelve relatives.
ok now everybody in B.C. SCREAM AT ONCE AND MAKE SURE THE CANUCKS ARE AWAKE FOR THE GAME.

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 24 April 2003 11:22 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
ok now everybody in B.C. SCREAM AT ONCE AND MAKE SURE THE CANUCKS ARE AWAKE FOR THE GAME.

Make that everyone in Canada, cause I hate Ottawa.

From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
themorninglight
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3050

posted 25 April 2003 11:18 AM      Profile for themorninglight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm with ya Scout, I hate the Senators too. I'm hoping for a Philly-Vancouver final with the Cup returning to Broad St. Go Flyers!
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 25 April 2003 02:29 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Out! Out, damn spot!

The Broad Street Bozos do not deserve the flem from my hyperextended larynx. I'd rather see Tampa Bay win than those clowns. The only reason I would cheer the Bozos is if, by some fluke of fate (such as Armegeddon) they faced the Stars in the final. Lesser of two evils and all that.

Go Anyone But Philly (or Dallas)!

Adam Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3034

posted 26 April 2003 01:28 AM      Profile for Adam Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
. . . dulled the pain of the Oilers' pathetic effort against Dallas.

Let's remember this was the 1st place Stars against the 8th place Oilers. 4-2 is hardly pathetic.

Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 26 April 2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And what the hell is with the saturday afternoon games?

I mean this is the playoffs. And it's saturday night. And I'm watching... Waking Ned Divine?!?

Fuck you very much, ABC.

Ok, I guess we could be polite and let them have one afternoon game, but c'mon - it's saturday bloody night.

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 27 April 2003 06:57 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shoulda gone out and rented "Ghost Ship". You watched network T.V. on a Saturday Night?

Brave lass, you are.

.........those who cheer on the Flyers cheer on Bobby Clarke and his bussom buddy, Alan Eagleson.

Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 27 April 2003 07:34 PM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Turned on the CBC hoping for a game last night, only to see some old Irish men talking lotto. Then I remembered American TV now sets the sched - arghh, I thought. Well, at least there are two games on tonight. But it's sunday, and it just really ain't the same, y'know.
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 27 April 2003 08:17 PM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
isn't anyone watching the "other" playoffs, the NBA? it's a pleasure to finally see western conference stars, like stephon marbury and tim duncan, on TV every night.

i'm fascinated by sports team logos ... like the vancouver canucks new one ... it's not just an electric fluorescent blue killer whale, it's a mean bad-ass-looking killer whale. like that blue jay who's flexing his muscles on the new logo.

and what's the deal with the name "minnesota wild" ... what kind of a mascot can you have, what does "wild" look like? is he called "wildy" ??

any thoughts on who bob cole is going to cheer for now that the leafs are out?

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
grrril
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4050

posted 27 April 2003 09:16 PM      Profile for grrril     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Off topic a little but I think it's funny that the "powerful" American team lost to Denmark. Denmark once lost to Canada 47-0. Granted that was 1949. Still.
quote:

"Now we have to get ready to play in the relegation," said U.S. coach Lou Vairo. "If you think this is aggravating wait till you see some of those other teams. They can all play hockey.

"We've got players who have never heard of these countries. It's going to be difficult for us to motivate and keep them focused but we'll try our best."

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G56162C54

Sure glad all the hockey players in the tournament can play hockey.

The commentators for the Canucks series is as bad as I've ever heard.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 06 May 2003 02:05 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Danes tied Canada.

"Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him Horatio
A fellow of infinite jest, most excellent fancy"

So....now that the Leafs are out, nobody cares about the playoffs anymore?

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 06 May 2003 01:24 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*ahem* I still care

Yay, Ottawa! Way to keep my pool hopes alive! Now Vancouver needs to get their act together and win that fourth game. God, but I wish I could stay up past midnight to watch those late games.

(Oh, and let me add a yay! for Mr. Giguerre. I care not for the Disney franchise, but I always love to see a good goalie or two steal a series. Adds to the whole unpredictability and excitement, don'cha know.)

Now to the other playoffs: Go Mooseheads! I wonder if it's too late to get tickets for the Memorial Cup up in Quebec City?

TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 09 May 2003 02:12 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Holy Choke-a-Rama Batman.

Vancouver runs out of gas against the Wild.

Jacques Lamaire coach of the year no matter what happens now.

Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 09 May 2003 03:25 AM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As cool as an all-Canadian final would have been, I gotta say the 'nuck's ass-whumping was well deserved.

Good on the Wild. Watching a low-paid, small market, hard working team kick the crap out of overpaid primadonnas like the Avalanche makes hockey enjoyable to watch again. Seeing Vancouver lose after being up 3-1 in the series, and 2-0 in the game is, to an Edmontonian, just plain damn funny.

That Bertuzzi is a freaking goon. I hates him.

Go Sens!

[ 09 May 2003: Message edited by: Jingles ]

From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 09 May 2003 09:45 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stupid Canucks! How am I supposed to win the pool from 30 points back, with only seven Ottawa players on my roster? My chances are ruined, I tells ya, ruined!

Go Moose!(heads)

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 09 May 2003 10:48 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A truly crazy year! Who would have thunk that neither Colorado, Detroit, Dallas or Vancouver would make it to the western finals. I hate the Wild's style of play, but you gotta give them credit for coming back from 3-1 twice in a row. I think Lemaire will get the chance to face his old team in the finals.
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 09 May 2003 10:49 AM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Jacques Lamaire coach of the year no matter what happens now.

Two points on that:

- The voting takes place before the playoffs, so the winner has already been chosen.
- He may be a good coach, but he's a damned poor sport. I'm not sure if anyone else caught this, but immediately after last night's victory, he left the bench for the dressing room, without congratulating the opposing coaches. Crawford went to the bench and ended up congratulating the Wild's trainer and stickboy. Really bad form, Jacques

Anyway, at least I had the foresight to pick Marian Gaborik in my pool... and, at least the Kitchener Rangers are going to win the Memorial Cup!

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 09 May 2003 03:34 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Watching the post game interviews with teh Wild last night just reaffirmed my belief that they are a beer league club that found a magic lamp. One of the guys (Wes Walz, I think) was saying how many of the Wild players are career minor leaguers, journeymeny and plumbers. But they have a great coach and, more importantly, tons of heart (more than I can now say for the Canucks: yeesh!).

I hope Ottawa dismantles Jersey. It's time for some new faces in the final.

Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 09 May 2003 11:45 PM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i'm sure an ottawa vs minnesota final will horrify the american TV guys.
From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
themorninglight
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3050

posted 10 May 2003 05:39 PM      Profile for themorninglight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
worst playoffs EVER. I could care less about the four remaining teams. I guess I'll hop on the Jersey bandwagon, since they're the team I dislike the least.
Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 10 May 2003 11:56 PM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ottawa takes Jersey in OT... good game. A lot more open than I thought it would be, considering, well, Jersey.

The Van Allen goal was pretty sweet too.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca