FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » body and soul   » Men Should Stink

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Men Should Stink
TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 18 March 2003 02:11 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pheremones in Men's Pit Juice Relaxes Women.

quote:
In a study led by Preti and colleague Charles J. Wysocki, extracts from the underarms of male volunteers were applied to the upper lip of 18 women ages 25 to 45.

I wonder how relaxed the women were when they found out that they had arm pit sweat smeared on their upper lips?

glennB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3993

posted 11 April 2003 07:52 AM      Profile for glennB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would love to hear from guys:

Has anyone done any personal experimenting here?

As in leave the deoderant out of the daily hygene regimen and see what happens. Please post. I'm very curious.

Or, don't bother washing that t-shirt and wear it again 3 days later. Is that supposed to draw all kinds of women to you?

Does anyone buy this stuff. Or more imortantly, can anyone think of a practical use for this kind of study?

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 11 April 2003 08:01 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It wouldn't attract me!
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
swallow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2659

posted 11 April 2003 02:33 PM      Profile for swallow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The underarm extracts used in the study came from men who bathed with fragrance-free soap and refrained from deodorant use for four weeks.

Well, i'm strangely turned on. But not relaxed in the least.

From: fast-tracked for excommunication | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tommy Shanks
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3076

posted 11 April 2003 02:54 PM      Profile for Tommy Shanks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wonder how many construction workers, lumberjacks and mechanics were in that study.
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 11 April 2003 02:54 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
As in leave the deoderant out of the daily hygene regimen and see what happens.

I become strangely attractive to cats.

Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 11 April 2003 02:55 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I become strangely attractive to cats.

Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 11 April 2003 03:06 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You become attractive to cats twice?
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 11 April 2003 03:11 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Swear to God(s)/dess(es), I first read that as "I become strangly attracted to cats."
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 11 April 2003 03:12 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, that too.
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 11 April 2003 03:45 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't use deodorant, and haven't since high school. It's a waste of money. I also only use water to wash my underarms. I find it's hard to rinse soap out completely and it becomes a medium for bacteria which makes you really stinky when they metabolize it. Maybe people are polite, or maybe I don't smell too bad. Anyhow, no one's complained of underarm BO on me. And if I do smell, I'll apply my "get over it, or get out of my way" philosophy.

I know quite a few sweet-smelling lads and lasses who use no deodorant.

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 11 April 2003 03:57 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I know quite a few sweet-smelling lads and lasses who use no deodorant.

The "sweet" is probably them metabolizing ketones

My wife likes how I smell, deodorant or no (but I only skip the stuff on weekends). I think some people are just more prone to smelling than others.

It's always been interesting to me that most dogs smell like dog (and some, like cocker spaniels, smell like 10 dogs) but cats typically don't smell like anything at all. Not even cat saliva!

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 11 April 2003 03:59 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It depends on your metabolism, and to some extent what you eat. I know that if I am in a "straight" job and don't use deodorant, I get told about it, despite bathing daily.

My cat loves me whether I use deodorant or not. So do other cats, who smell my cat on me and make that funny snarl cats make to distinguish among odours, and purr.

Mycroft, have you got a cat - or has a cat got you?

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 11 April 2003 04:11 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does Renzo ever make what my wife and I call "The Face"?

That funny look, with mouth half open and tongue half out, eyes half closed, halfway to bliss? Apparently even the big jungle cats do it when they think they smell something interesting. It never fails to make me laugh!

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 11 April 2003 04:22 PM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Extracts" from underarm excretions suggests the scientists removed the stench-producing compounds from them. So it's not the same as just not washing your pits.
From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 11 April 2003 09:41 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I routinely shower once a day, and apply The Deodorant. I try to not go overboard with it, though. One spray or one swipe is good 'nuff.

Re: sprays. You can get those deodorants that have pump sprays so they're not ozone-destructive.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pogo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2999

posted 11 April 2003 10:24 PM      Profile for Pogo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I shower every second day and avoid anti-persperant. I try an avoid them because of the aluminum - it can't be good for you. Still by day two my kids are on my case.

I figure that we are way to antiseptic as a society.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 11 April 2003 10:39 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When my hair is straight, I shower every day because it gets oily quickly. When it's permed, I often skip a day if I haven't been sweating too badly the day before because the hair is a lot dryer and doesn't get greasy - in fact, it would look bad if I washed it every day now.

But deodorant - oh, that's a must. You don't want to be around me without deodorant. Hell, I don't want to be around me without deodorant. I know there's a backlash against deodorant these days, saying it's unnecessary and causes health problems, and I guess that's fine if your sweat doesn't have a strong odour. But there are people whose sweat could knock you over, and that's no more of a turn-on than the person who sits next to you on the bus with a cloud of perfume following them everywhere they go. Both make me feel somewhat green around the gills.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 11 April 2003 11:05 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I started getting nasty rashes from the chemicals in "corporate" deoderant a few years ago so I switched to the herbal deoderants you can find in health food shops so when I use them I smell like aloe vera.

I was kidding about the cats btw though I do remember one kitten who used to lick people's armpits.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 11 April 2003 11:23 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not kidding about the cats, and yes, Renzo most lovingly makes The Face - evidently that opens a gland they have to distinguish among related odours - it is rather exquisite, and yes, all cats, from smallest to largest have it. So do other cats when they get a whiff of Renzo, who to me has the barest odour of what - baby powder? Must be that darned dander.

However just before I had him have That Nasty Operation, he was furiously marking his territory and to humans it was a ferocious smell.

I could go for a month without washing my hair - it would just become a rasta mess of tangles, not greasy at all. Usually I wash it about twice a week but it is more a question of combing it through with conditioner than anything else - though I suppose even curly-kinky hair is best rid of urban pollution.

I agree that in our society, a lot of us "need" deodorant to be socially acceptable, even if we bathe daily and wash the offending parts more often.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 12 April 2003 07:49 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I figure that we are way to antiseptic as a society.

Being over zealous in cleaning yourself is a contributing factor in fungal infections, particularly "yeast" infections.

Don't argue the point with me. I'm an expert in that inglorious field, through unhappy circumstance.

Any who, we used to have a supervisor at work who never used deoderant, and judging by the smell only bathed perhaps twice a week.

That's with working in a factory, with temps approaching 35ºC on the welb bulb globe thermometer.

He stank.

Someone approached him on the subject, and it was his claim that the smell "turned the ladies on."

He also wore a very bad toupee, too, so I'm less than trusting of his data collection.

Myself, I clean up at least once a day, more if I work up a sweat. I wash my hair as often, and I use deoderant and a cologne. I believe the cologne is only detectable up close, or if my body temperature goes above normal. At least, that's what I aim for. It's hard to judge; but I've never had complaints.

-----------

Annecdote.

In my days as a committeperson (shop steward) my constituency included a work group that had an earned reputation for petty complaints. A couple of the guys complained to me about a co-worker, wanting to put in either a grievance, or a health and safety issue about the body odour of another employee.

I did a mental eye roll. Guys at my workplace will complain about other guys who stink, but it's never brought to a formal complaint.

Given the track record of the work group, I kinda ignored their concern.

Then one day when leaving the plant, the worker they complained about was using the pay phone, located in a kind of vestibule with the front doors on one end, and another set of doors about ten feet in.

I have never smelled body odour as bad as what I walked through before or since.

It was like walking into a wall.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 12 April 2003 08:05 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah. And sometimes people just don't know, either - they live with the smell day in and out, and don't notice it anymore. Sometimes telling someone (gently) is the kindest thing you can do, considering that it's likely they're being avoided big time.

I got out of using scented products or having scented anything in the house during my marriage, because my husband was allergic to anything with even the slightest scent - it gave him migraines (although he put up with it to dye the grey out of his hair - vain man!). So I got completely unused to any product with any scent. I had to get unscented everything, and it was a habit that persisted after I left him. Even now, I don't wear perfume (although I occasionally buy scented deodorant), and it's only been relatively recently that I started using bath products with scent - that would have been a complete no-no before. I like to use them now, although I still don't do it regularly.

I've noticed over the past few years that there is a real backlash over cologne and perfume - that there are people who hate even the slightest use of it on people around them because they have a chemical sensitivity to it. I can understand that. I tend to like only a faint whiff of it on guys, too. Some women (like a friend of mine) really like cologne on guys - she buys her husband HER favorite cologne every Christmas. Some don't like any at all on guys. I can go either way as long as the guy hasn't bathed in the stuff.

glennB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3993

posted 12 April 2003 11:40 AM      Profile for glennB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My paranoid instincts make me ask: what if I am one of those people? Okay, my daily hygeine ritual(s) almost guarantees that I may not be Sir B.O. but who knows? What if you have another serious character flaw?

Know any gentle ways of finding out one's own shortcomings or telling someone else's there's?

All this talk reminds me of a house-mate who showered daily but never did laundry. Whoo what a stench!

[ 12 April 2003: Message edited by: glennB ]

Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 12 April 2003 09:58 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just one comment on this whole topic:

eeewwww.

From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 13 April 2003 12:06 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Has anyone done any personal experimenting here?

Fat Honkin' Soggy Pitters! THAT's what happens!!!

I usually always use deodorant (unless I'm staying home), though sometimes I'll forget in a morning rush, and seem to make it through the day wihtout a cloud of odour following me around. The worst, though, is if you're really nervous for some reason, and then you think "Oh. Shit. I forgot to apply deodorant today " Actually little cause for concern, but you don't realize that at the moment.

Rasmus, you've never smelt bad any time I've been around that I could tell Though I had a cold once, so I wouldn't have noticed either way.

As for cats, my cat's breat smells like cat food. Sorry, I had to say it. But as far as cat-smell is concerned, my cat does smell. I'm not quite sure like what- it's not an offensive odour (Usually. Unless they dragged their tail through the litter on the way out. Eugh), but it's not exactly peppermint, either.

Okay, this is something that came to my attention today. Last night I was with friends at school and a band was playing. Afterwards, we were talking, and one girl says to a person in the group "mmm! Smells like hippies!" Then this afternoon, I was at our peace rally, and walking through the crowd, I thought to myself "*gasp!* It smells like hippies!" Can someone tell me what that smell is? I absolutely love it. And no, it wasn't pot, or berries, or cigs, or anything they were smoking, so don't try and be smart

[ 13 April 2003: Message edited by: meades ]

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 13 April 2003 10:56 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My guess is sandlewood incense, meades, or maybe lavender.
From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
swirrlygrrl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2170

posted 13 April 2003 11:12 AM      Profile for swirrlygrrl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Afterwards, we were talking, and one girl says to a person in the group "mmm! Smells like hippies!" Then this afternoon, I was at our peace rally, and walking through the crowd, I thought to myself "*gasp!* It smells like hippies!" Can someone tell me what that smell is? I absolutely love it.

Is is patchouli? My friend Michelle swears that hippie stink is a combination of unwashedness, patchouli and pot - I don't know if that's exactly it, but I do know that I occassionally get a whiff of eau de hippie at protests and organizing events. Depends on the hippie in my mid whether it smells good or bad.

On Rasmus, a fair number of peeps on this board seem to find him quite attractive (I've met, but can't quite recall the look, though I do remember the jacket he was wearing - bad me! I remember clothes not people usually, unless they make a bad first impression), so perhaps whatever it is that's in sweat that turns on the ladies, he's got in spades.

I stopped using deoderant for a few months, because I shower everyday, and unless I'm working out, wearing synthetics or am standing on the subways in a wool seater and coat, I don't really find I sweat all that much. After a paranoia spree though, I bought some Tom of Maines natural deoderant, and just love it. I have the unscented stuff, which has a scent (and which actually reacted quite poorly with my own body chemistry when I first started using it - in my mind, it didn't smell pleasant on me, though it does in the container, and now I don't find it noticable), but its clear and non-irritating and vegan and effective. Tom's just generally makes some darn good products (including natural toothpaste, which is just infintately superior to the chemical crud I used to use).

On kitties, my ex likes to pick up the Princess and "whiff" her (bury his head in her bell fur and smell). Personally, I think its weird - she doesn't have smell that I would call good or bad - its subtle, and just smells like Daisy (the cat, not the flower). Watching him, you'd think she was freshly baked bread.

From: the bushes outside your house | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 13 April 2003 01:24 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is is patchouli? My friend Michelle swears that hippie stink is a combination of
unwashedness, patchouli and pot - I don't know if that's exactly it, but I do know that I
occassionally get a whiff of eau de hippie at protests and organizing events. Depends
on the hippie in my mid whether it smells good or bad.

It is patchouli! Click!

quote:
PATCHOULI -- This earthy and musk-like pure essential is is produced through the
steam distillation of the leaves of the plant. Patchouli is perhaps best known as an
incense that was widely used during the "Free Love" hippie-era in the late 1960's.
While patchouli is purported to be an aphrodisiac, it is more likely that the scent
memory of patchouli is closely associated with sex, rather than the aroma itself
creating an emotional or physical response.

However it does it, it does it well! Mmmmmm....

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca