babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Best Station to Watch Election Night?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Station to Watch Election Night?
Mojoroad1
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15404

posted 14 October 2008 07:56 AM      Profile for Mojoroad1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
We all know the biases etc of the networks..Just wanted your thoughts on who's gonna have the best team & coverage.... I usually go with CBC....anyone else?
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 14 October 2008 07:57 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Eh, I'll prolly hit CBC's website as well.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left Turn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8662

posted 14 October 2008 08:05 AM      Profile for Left Turn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'll be watching whatever station Peter Julian has on at his election night party for those who worked/volunteered on his re-election campaign. Hopefully they'll show CBC's election coverage, but they might go with CTV. They showed CBC's election results show in 2004, and CTV's election results show in 2006. It will depend which station the people who have planned the party have picked.
Uncle John
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14940

posted 14 October 2008 08:08 AM      Profile for Uncle John     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
CTV Liberal Newsnet
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 14 October 2008 08:16 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle John:
CTV Liberal Newsnet

I thought CTV was heavily biased in favour of the Conservatives, while CBC is biased in favour of the Liberals. I don't know Global's bias because I never watch their news.

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mojoroad1
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15404

posted 14 October 2008 08:22 AM      Profile for Mojoroad1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
global, as owned by the Aspers who also own the National Post, are, ahem, conservative.
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 14 October 2008 08:31 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
None of the networks favour the NDP? Maybe CITY-TV? One of the youth music channels?
M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 14 October 2008 08:44 AM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mojoroad1:
global, as owned by the Aspers who also own the National Post, are, ahem, conservative.
Ditto Pastor Mansbridge.

From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 14 October 2008 08:54 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I thought the CBC, and especially Mansbridge, heavilly favoured the Liberals.
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 14 October 2008 08:55 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I usually switch between CBC and CITY. CBC for the national results and CITY does a better job with local results.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kara
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15590

posted 14 October 2008 12:25 PM      Profile for Kara        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Left Turn:
I'll be watching whatever station Peter Julian has on at his election night party for those who worked/volunteered on his re-election campaign. Hopefully they'll show CBC's election coverage, but they might go with CTV. They showed CBC's election results show in 2004, and CTV's election results show in 2006. It will depend which station the people who have planned the party have picked.

I went to high school with Peter. He's a great guy. I've been impressed with him the times that I've seen him being interviewed on TV recently because he was so quiet and shy back in the "old days".

aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 14 October 2008 01:44 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I remember watching CTV during the 1990 provincial election back in the days when it was owned by the Tory Bassett family. Their election computer was programmed to view an NDP majority government as statistically impossible and so, for quite some time after every other channel had anointed Bob Rae as Premier, CTV's analysts were trying to explain why it can't be so.
aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 14 October 2008 01:46 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The This Hour Has 22 Minutes cast made its premier on CBC's 1993 election coverage. I distinctly remember a skit with Kim Campbell locking herself in a washroom and an aide saying "Prime Minister, Doctor Kevorkian is on the phone".

Ouch!

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 14 October 2008 01:47 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Probably Global.
From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 14 October 2008 01:53 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd:
Probably Global.

Isn't that the one that Warren Kinsella is on tonight?

I miss the days when election night broadcasts would have genuinely funny people like Stephen Lewis or Hugh Segal on (oddly, I can't remember any genuinely witty Liberal analysts)

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 14 October 2008 01:55 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No idea. I watched global last time and A-Channel the time before.
From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 14 October 2008 02:00 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Going to watch all 3 that I get, Global Vancouver, CBC Vancouver and CTV Edmonton.
From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Northern54
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5325

posted 14 October 2008 04:20 PM      Profile for Northern54     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I watch CBC. The cheer-leading for the Liberals is insufferable. But, the cheer-leading for the Conservatives is no better on the other channels.
I am interested in seeing how the networks do in an election where the NDP does better than expected (I'm hoping that this is the one!). I'm hoping for more than 43 seats (a record).

ghoris
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4152

posted 14 October 2008 04:27 PM      Profile for ghoris     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I too generally watch CBC. I echo the above comments about Liberal cheerleading, but I do find CBC is better at giving us, you know, actual results ("I want details, people!!!"). In the past anyways, CTV just had their little ticker board at the bottom but otherwise it was all talking heads, with the occasional graphic showing the popular vote breakdown.
ghoris
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4152

posted 15 October 2008 02:45 AM      Profile for ghoris     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Man oh man, was the CPAC coverage ever terrible! The political hacks on the panel seemed to have a bet amongst themselves to see who could be the most obnoxious - all they did was squabble and parrot party talking points. The Liberal woman (I seem to be mentally blocking out her name because I can't recall it right now) was particularly unpleasant to listen to and just ranted against the Tories the entire time. I mean I understand she'd be upset at the results but jeez, you're supposed to be there as an analyst not a shill for your party. Someone needed to tell all of them that the voting was over.

I only lasted about 10 minutes before switching back to CBC.

Websites: CBC had the most user-friendly and 'prettiest' website but it was slow to update. Not as bad as the Saskatchewan disaster last year, but I found myself breaking down and going to CTV to get faster results.

[ 15 October 2008: Message edited by: ghoris ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca