FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Etobicoke Centre

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Etobicoke Centre
M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 13 October 2008 02:50 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My riding is a swing riding - it tends to elect MP's of the party in power. Past MP's include Allan Rock (L), Michael Wilson (PC), and Alastair Gillespie (L), all cabinet ministers. Liberal Borys Wrzesnewskyj is the current member. He voted to extend the Afghanistan war to 2011, and voted for the fetal homicide bill.

The Conservatives have targeted this riding as one they can win from the Liberals. Once again they are running Axel Kuhn. Judging by the number of lawn signs in my area, it looks as if Kuhn may well win this time.

The NDP is running the usual token placeholder. This time it's someone named Joseph Schwartz, who hasn't attended any all-candidate meetings. Watch for the NDP to poll well below 10% of the vote.

The Green Party candidate withdrew immediately after the nomination deadline. But her name is on the ballot, and I assume votes for her will be tallied and reported.

The NDP candidate from the 2006 election has endorsed Axel Kuhn. That will give you some idea of how careful the NDP is about choosing their candidates in this riding. It seems a pulse is all that is required.

Also endorsing the Conservative are Mark Persaud, former chair of the Liberal Party's standing committee on multiculturalism, and Greg King, who ran for the Green Party in this riding in last year's provincial election.

From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ghoris
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4152

posted 13 October 2008 02:56 PM      Profile for ghoris     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
One would think Kuhn's current legal troubles would be a bit of a fly in the ointment for his chances...
M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 13 October 2008 03:03 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Unlikely. It comes too late in the campaign to make any difference.

And his dirty tricks electioneering is bound to pay off at the polls.

From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ghoris
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4152

posted 13 October 2008 03:07 PM      Profile for ghoris     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You could be right, although I try not to underestimate the Canadian sense of 'fair play'.
Max Bialystock
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13870

posted 13 October 2008 03:09 PM      Profile for Max Bialystock     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by M. Spector:
Liberal Borys Wrzesnewskyj is the current member. He voted to extend the Afghanistan war to 2011, and voted for the fetal homicide bill.

I gained some respect for Boris Wrzesneskyj (not that I'd ever vote Liberal) when he called on Canada to take a reasonable position regarding Hezbollah rather than the lunacy that prevails now. However his stances on Afghanistan and the fetal homicide bill are appalling.

[ 13 October 2008: Message edited by: Max Bialystock ]

M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 13 October 2008 03:23 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I agree.

[ 13 October 2008: Message edited by: M. Spector ]

Max Bialystock
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13870

posted 13 October 2008 03:37 PM      Profile for Max Bialystock     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Fixed.
adma
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11856

posted 13 October 2008 06:22 PM      Profile for adma     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Of course, when it comes to Harperphiliacs, you neglected to mention that it's the Richview Collegiate riding.

I've always found this worth watching; and if it's a 10-point Tory-Liberal gap in Toronto, it's well within reach. But from what I've found, Borys is quite well and aggressively signed, too. I wouldn't jump to too many abrupt conclusions about a seat change here; though I wouldn't count anything out, either.

And judging from his startlingly high polling results in his John G. Althouse home turf last year, I'd think Greg King's well within the right-leaning camp of the provincial Greens, anyway...

M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 14 October 2008 07:20 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
CBC has declared Wrzesnewskyj the winner.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca