babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Suzuki dreams of Greens' demise

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Suzuki dreams of Greens' demise
Mojoroad1
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15404

posted 10 September 2008 07:21 AM      Profile for Mojoroad1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
LOL!

Well, after openly endorsing the Liberal party's Green farm team... Dr Suzuki, has, shall we say, back peddled a bit.

quote:
"I can't wait until there is no Green party," Suzuki said he told its leader Elizabeth May.

"As long as there's a Green party, the implication is that the Greens somehow have a stranglehold on this issue; they're the ones that worry about the environment so the other parties can worry about other things. I don't think it's a ghetto subject."

Link

In the article he goes on to say "it's time to out the Eco back in Economy". He's right. Exactly the position of the NDP Green Jobs strategy.

Frustrated Mess
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8312

posted 10 September 2008 06:05 PM      Profile for Frustrated Mess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
LOL! You like that do you? By the same logic, as long as there is an NDP, social justice and labour issues are ghetto issues and until the demise of the NDP, the other two parties will leave the issues to the NDP but as soon as the NDP is gone, the Libs and Cons will compete for the support of social justice activists and union members. Do you believe that? Patent nonsense isn't it?

As well, environmental issues can't be addressed through more of the same. Both the Green Party and the NDP's promotion of so-called "green jobs" is just more of the same with a bright green coat of cheap and probably leaded paint.

From: doom without the gloom | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
coeus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15465

posted 10 September 2008 06:09 PM      Profile for coeus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mojoroad1:
LOL! Well, after openly endorsing the Liberal party's Green farm team... Dr Suzuki, has, shall we say, back peddled a bit.

He was taken out of context. You should know better than to quote a Liberal newspaper.

Here's the rest of his quote:

quote:
We need to be at a point where the values that are talked about by the Green Party are all values that Canadians have.

He said this to Elizabeth May. It's clear he supports the Greens, however, he wishes all parties shared there values, removing the need for a "Green" party.

[ 10 September 2008: Message edited by: coeus ]

MCunningBC
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14903

posted 11 September 2008 01:20 AM      Profile for MCunningBC        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mojoroad1:
LOL!

Well, after openly endorsing the Liberal party's Green farm team... Dr Suzuki, has, shall we say, back peddled a bit.

It's especially interesting in that Suzuki hosted Elizabether May's first event in her Green Party leadership drive at his home. Many Suzuki Foundation people attended, and it raised eyebrows at the time as a kind of partisan event being hosted by a man who had always maintained that he was somehow above politics.

surfdoc
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13714

posted 11 September 2008 02:23 AM      Profile for surfdoc     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Even after it has been pointed out that this quote is out of context, you still find it "especially interesting"?
ElizaQ
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9355

posted 11 September 2008 03:32 AM      Profile for ElizaQ     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by MCunningBC:

It's especially interesting in that Suzuki hosted Elizabether May's first event in her Green Party leadership drive at his home. Many Suzuki Foundation people attended, and it raised eyebrows at the time as a kind of partisan event being hosted by a man who had always maintained that he was somehow above politics.

Mmm well if especially interesting if it did indeed raise eyebrows as you suggested that they didn't understand what it meant and took it for something it's not. Which is interesting because it's just an example of how when one talks to media or a large group that using rhetorical comments to convey more abstract comments or thinking is just basically a no no. Which is also interesting because I guess it indicates that even people who support you don't automatically get the telepathic thoughts of the hive mind to always understand exactly what your talking about.

I've heard Green Party people and leaders for that matter say pretty much the exact same thing. I've worked in social activist groups where I've heard the exact same thing. That on the whatever issue, they look forward to the day when they aren't relevant and the whole end goal is to put themselves out of a job because what they working on is just common practice, thinking or policy across the board.

Suzuki has just taken that type of thinking and yes *gasp* made a political comment on the state of politics in Canada both party wise as well the perception of people who vote for. He was commenting about all parties, not just the Greens. Last I checked that was bi-partisan, or tri or whatever number partisan.

Beyond all in the the funny ha ha look Suzuki dissed the Greens his most important points and message were missed entirely.

Ah politics gotta love it.

From: Eastern Lakes | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 11 September 2008 04:17 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
[drift]
quote:
ElizaQ: I've worked in social activist groups where I've heard the exact same thing. That on the whatever issue, they look forward to the day when they aren't relevant and the whole end goal is to put themselves out of a job

We say this in anti-violence services all the time too.
[/drift]

From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mojoroad1
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15404

posted 12 September 2008 07:17 AM      Profile for Mojoroad1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Actually, my theory - and yes I do realize the spin in the article - when Dr. Susuki says he's now "non-partisan" (again), I suspect that a substantial amount of donations to his foundation were in trouble as soon as he came out as a Green partisan. Consider the substantial number of NDP'ers that support(ed) his foundation. This incidentally, would also include my household.
just my two cents.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca