babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Finally a by-election in Vancouver Quadra

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally a by-election in Vancouver Quadra
FlungPup
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14541

posted 10 February 2008 04:36 PM      Profile for FlungPup     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not sure who the candidates are, but it's about time. I've had no one to complain to for months now...
From: In My Own Mind Somewhere | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
FlungPup
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14541

posted 10 February 2008 04:40 PM      Profile for FlungPup     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Liberal - Joyce Murray
Conservative - Deborah Meredith
New Democratic Party - Rebecca Coad
Green Party - Dan Grice
Canadian Action Party - Psam Frank
Neorhino.ca - John Turner
Libertarian Party - Norris Barens

[ 10 February 2008: Message edited by: FlungPup ]

Ken Burch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8346

posted 10 February 2008 04:43 PM      Profile for Ken Burch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Canadian Action Party still EXISTS? Who knew?

[ 10 February 2008: Message edited by: Ken Burch ]

From: A seedy truckstop on the Information Superhighway | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
David Young
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14805

posted 10 February 2008 05:28 PM      Profile for David Young     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm wondering if the Neorhino John Turner is the same John Turner that was a Rhino candidate in VANCOUVER-QUADRA in the 1988 election?
From: Liverpool, N.S. | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 10 February 2008 08:50 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Young:
I'm wondering if the Neorhino John Turner is the same John Turner that was a Rhino candidate in VANCOUVER-QUADRA in the 1988 election?

Or maybe John Napier Turner is attempting a comeback?

turnerama
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14949

posted 11 February 2008 10:37 PM      Profile for turnerama     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well folks, just to let you know the neorhino John Turner is the same guy as the rhino party ran in the 1988 general erection. I should know because you are referring to me. Personally, I am against harmonization with the U.S.A. because the part we get to sing probably won't be in our key and I'm afraid everyone might hit the brown note. More info at www.neorhino.ca eh!
KenS
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1174

posted 12 February 2008 12:49 AM      Profile for KenS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wow!

NEWS FLASH:

Babble Attracts Star Poster !

From: Minasville, NS | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
David Young
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14805

posted 12 February 2008 03:54 AM      Profile for David Young     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Greetings, John Turner.

Do you still ride the skateboard I remember seeing you on when you were interviewed during the 1988 election?

I'll bet people looking at this thread would love to see a photo of that!

Rod Manchee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 290

posted 12 February 2008 04:04 AM      Profile for Rod Manchee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Shades of Phil Ochs “my faith in the system restored” - the Rhinos are still there(even if in neo form - does that mean going to rallies in very small cars?) The sunshine even gets as far as Ottawa.
turnerama
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14949

posted 12 February 2008 08:51 PM      Profile for turnerama     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes John Turner is attempting a political comeback, Yes John Turner still rides his skate(long)board. It's funny that you mention Ottawa because after I file my nomination papers in Vancouver I am scheduled to go to Ottawa on official neorhino.ca business and partying and sometime during the hubbub I hope to hold a press conference about matters neorhinoceroid. Tell yer friends you heard it here first. P.S. I still have my SKULL SKATES skateboard from the 1988 Federal Erection and when and if I have the time I will post a photo. In the meantime, check out the neorhino.ca + neorhino Vancouver Quadra facebook groups. We are hoping to help Stephen Harper develop a sense of humour, but even us neorhinos can't promise that!
FlungPup
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14541

posted 13 February 2008 03:43 PM      Profile for FlungPup     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
He only laughs when he's told to. He won't be told to.
Cameron W
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10767

posted 16 February 2008 10:32 PM      Profile for Cameron W   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Awesome.
Psam
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14994

posted 28 February 2008 12:48 AM      Profile for Psam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, the Canadian Action Party is alive and well. Please visit youtube and enter "Psam Frank" in the search field and listen to what I have to say with regards to my candidacy in this by-election. I would love to hear your thoughts.
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 28 February 2008 06:17 AM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Please operationally define 'alive and well'.
From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Centrist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5422

posted 11 March 2008 02:14 AM      Profile for Centrist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by turnerama:
[QB]Well folks, just to let you know the neorhino John Turner is the same guy as the rhino party ran in the 1988 general erection. I should know because you are referring to me.

As for the recent all candidates meeting at UBC:

quote:
Neorhino candidate John Turner... tried to hijack the debate by eating a cereal box of Lucky Charms loudly, attempting bribery of the PSSA’s debate organizers, and leaving abruptly before the debate ended.

Now that's politics folks!

http://www.ubyssey.ca/?p=2747

West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 11 March 2008 09:43 AM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Screw having an all-candidates debate at UBC, we can have one here! Three of the candidates are posting members on this site.

I would think Dan Grice is very preoccupied with actually campaigning, and if he's reading this post before March 17th... well he shouldn't be.

Lord Palmerston
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4901

posted 11 March 2008 01:41 PM      Profile for Lord Palmerston     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Libs should take Quadra very easily.
Daniel Grice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7985

posted 14 March 2008 10:18 AM      Profile for Daniel Grice   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sorry, a little busy for online debates, but I have loaded video from past debates on my website.

www.dangrice.com

Succubus
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2048

posted 14 March 2008 11:06 AM      Profile for Succubus        Edit/Delete Post
Since BC Liberals are effectively BC's right wing, the Liberal/Green partnership makes no sense for the environment at all!

The green party has never had anyone in parliament. Rebecca Coad - NDP needs to join 30 NDP MPs as part of an effective opposition to Harper and the right-wing Liberals.

Excerpt from Wikipedia on the Green Party of Canada:
With Stéphane Dion winning the Liberal leadership on a largely environmentalist platform, and both the Liberals and Greens having a shared interested in both defeating the Conservatives, whose environmental policies have come under criticism from members of both parties, some political observers questioned if an alliance of some sort between the two parties might take place.

When May made the announcement that she would run in Central Nova, currently held by Peter MacKay, local Liberals would "neither confirm nor deny" that they had had discussions with May over ways to unseat MacKay.[21] On March 21st, Dion said, "Madame May and I have conversations about how we may work together to be sure that this government will stop to do so much harm to our environment". The speculation was confirmed when Dion and May agreed not to run candidates in each other's ridings. [22]

May earlier attempted to broker a deal with the NDP, by contacting Stephen Lewis to set up a meeting with party leader Jack Layton, who both rejected the notion outright. When the May-Dion deal was announced, it was criticized by the Conservatives and NDP.[23] [24] [25]

Succubus
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2048

posted 14 March 2008 11:13 AM      Profile for Succubus        Edit/Delete Post
Looking for liberal Liberals or Greens with teeth?

From Wikipedia under "New Democratic Party".

New Democrats today advocate, among other things:

* sweeping environmental protection [1]
* national water safety standards
* not reducing corporate taxes[2]
* reducing poverty in Canada[3]
* human rights protection
* expanded high-quality public transportation
* affordable and accessible high-quality post-secondary education
* public health care including expanded dental and prescription drug coverage,
* progressive taxation reform
* social assistance policies that reflects citizens' needs and assists their re-entry to the work force
* gender equality and equal rights for gays, lesbians, and minorities
* electoral reform that abolishes the current un-elected Senate and ensures more proportional representation [4]
* workers' rights including raising the minimum wage to at least keep up with the cost of living
* Aboriginal treaty, land, and constitutional rights
* the decriminalization of possession of small amounts of marijuana
* an approach to criminal justice that focuses on addressing the root causes of crime
* balanced budgets [5]
* a foreign policy that emphasizes diplomacy, peacekeeping and humanitarian aid instead of offensive military action
* renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

FlungPup
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14541

posted 14 March 2008 11:31 AM      Profile for FlungPup     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh dear god not the spotted liveral. She was so smug at the meeting I went to.

"I've planted 500,000 trees with my very own hands."

Then Coad pointed out that she ok'd the fish farm attrocity as well as the grizzly bear hunting in BC, under her watch.

No one new what the SPP was. I thought that odd when each candidate took a crack at explaining it.

The hostility towards the Tory was palpable and she mostly had to refer to papers to quote figures that the government was spending. She wasn't too comfortable...

And Psam, you did well at the one I saw. I little pale at the prospect of being up there for the first time but your voice carried well in the hall and it showed that you had conviction.

Coad sure has spunk. She could have been stirring up the proletariat for a revolution.

Are there any polls to see were the candidates sit going into the election? There was bugger all in any of the local papers that I had a chance to look at.

turnerama
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14949

posted 15 March 2008 12:51 PM      Profile for turnerama     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
HEY CENTERIST, have you ever tried to eat a box of lucky charms quietly? I bet you can't. The money I tried to "bribe" the moderator with was fake, a fugasi. On the back it read the United States of America and Northern Territories. I left because I wasn't invited to an "all" candidates debate that started at EXACTLY the same time as the close of nominations because I WASN'T INVITED!!!! Nevertheless if you live in the Federal constituency of Vancouver Quadra on Monday March 17th (St. Patrick's Day) go out, get rip roaring drunk and VOTE!!!
FlungPup
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14541

posted 15 March 2008 01:36 PM      Profile for FlungPup     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Now that I can manage.
David Young
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14805

posted 15 March 2008 02:41 PM      Profile for David Young     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by turnerama:
[QB] P.S. I still have my SKULL SKATES skateboard from the 1988 Federal Erection and when and if I have the time I will post a photo.

We're still waiting, John Turner.

Where's the photo you promised?

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca