FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Dion gets booed off stage

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Dion gets booed off stage
JimmyRiddle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13084

posted 30 May 2007 10:53 AM      Profile for JimmyRiddle     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, straight from Parliament Hill where I had the fortune of seeing some of the best entertainment in a while. And I'm not talking about Gordon O'Connor latest hamfisted attempt at damage control.

Weeks after joining the Harper regime to vote down anti-scab legislation, Dion had the temerity to show up at a large rally put on a bunch of other leading unions (CLC, CAW, CUPE etc) to draw attention to the crisis in our manufacturing sectors.

Suffering from amnesia or delusions of grandeur, Dion was there to pass himself off as a friend to the working men and women of this country.

It didn't go down so good. When you get booed off the stage, some might even have called it a train wreck.

There is a good account here:
http://blogginghorse.blogspot.com/

Buzz Hargrove, who can take the credit for inviting the feckless Liberal poppet, looked decidedly uncomfortable as Dion made a hasty retreat.

The membership had spoken: Liberals revisionism, not cool. Ditto for Buzz.

[ 30 May 2007: Message edited by: JimmyRiddle ]

Spaceman Spiff
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8047

posted 30 May 2007 11:00 AM      Profile for Spaceman Spiff     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Let me get this straight: he promised a group of union members rallying against plant closures tax cuts?!?!

Dion is going to take the Liberals down with him.

JimmyRiddle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13084

posted 30 May 2007 11:05 AM      Profile for JimmyRiddle     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
He did indeed.
Unbelievable.
Tax cuts are so 1995.
And in more delusions of grandeur, Dion calls himself the "most influential oppostion leader in a generation."
Er, yeah, whatever.

ravijo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11439

posted 30 May 2007 11:08 AM      Profile for ravijo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, for those who caught this on tape I would love to see it!
West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 30 May 2007 11:15 AM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Even I'm laughing at that one.

Liberals and Conservatives have got to realize that Canadians actually aren't interested in tax cuts anymore. Charest is about to lose his government (in record time) over the issue. 70% of the electorate is opposed to the tax cut/federalist bribe he's proposing.

-=+=-
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7072

posted 30 May 2007 11:22 AM      Profile for -=+=-   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Sweet justice. I hope someone get a video.
From: Turtle Island | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 30 May 2007 11:45 AM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's becoming apparent that Elizabeth May is one of the few people that think that Stephane Dion would make a good Prime Minister.
From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 30 May 2007 11:48 AM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think he'd make a good Prime Minister. I think he's a total idiot for following through with this publicity stunt.
unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 30 May 2007 11:57 AM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Piatkowski:
It's becoming apparent that Elizabeth May is one of the few people that think that Stephane Dion would make a good Prime Minister.

I think Stéphane Dion's positions are largely disastrous for Canada or (where they're not) hypocritical. But the concept of "good Prime Minister" is an intriguing one. Who would you say was a good Prime Minister, Scott?

Paul Gross
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3576

posted 30 May 2007 11:58 AM      Profile for Paul Gross   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/219500

quote:
Dion was heckled and booed by union members chanting "anti-scab, anti-scab" to object to the Liberals' lack of support for legislation that would prevent federally regulated companies from hiring replacement workers.

From: central Centretown in central Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spaceman Spiff
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8047

posted 30 May 2007 12:00 PM      Profile for Spaceman Spiff     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I just heard that most of the major media was there, cameras rolling.
Steppenwolf Allende
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13076

posted 30 May 2007 12:09 PM      Profile for Steppenwolf Allende     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I think he'd make a good Prime Minister. I think he's a total idiot for following through with this publicity stunt.

Right. This Corporate Canada marionette, on direct orders from his bosses, stabs working people in the back by voting down the anti-scab bill after (in typical Liberal fashion) promising to support it, and then offers workers facing job-loss a tax break that will mostly go to the boss--and you think he'd make a good prime minister.

I can see why you're still backing the "Green" Party.

From: goes far, flies near, to the stars away from here | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wade Tompkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14185

posted 30 May 2007 12:50 PM      Profile for Wade Tompkins        Edit/Delete Post
Here's the video. Man, does he come off looking stupid...

Globe and Mail

Spaceman Spiff
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8047

posted 30 May 2007 01:03 PM      Profile for Spaceman Spiff     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What an idiot! he just stands there smiling as the labour movement attacks him!

ANTI-SCAB!

Catchfire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4019

posted 30 May 2007 01:04 PM      Profile for Catchfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That's beautiful.
From: On the heather | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 30 May 2007 01:11 PM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Great video. Let him taste the power of the workers. What an asshole.
CSM-NDP
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13613

posted 30 May 2007 01:21 PM      Profile for CSM-NDP     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Dion is done!
From: Toronto-Danforth | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
farnival
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6452

posted 30 May 2007 01:31 PM      Profile for farnival     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
has Buzz given him a jacket yet?
From: where private gain trumps public interest, and apparently that's just dandy. | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
kropotkin1951
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2732

posted 30 May 2007 01:43 PM      Profile for kropotkin1951   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
it better be a flak jacket if he wants to go to more union rallies
From: North of Manifest Destiny | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 30 May 2007 01:45 PM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Dion's promise in the video that "free trade will be free trade; it will not be one-way" rings a bit hollow, given that he was at the cabinet table when the Liberals set in motion the current free-trade negotiations with South Korea.

These negotiations, if carried through to a treaty, are predicted by the CAW to cost thousands of Canadian jobs.

He's no more credible a critic of free trade than John Turner.

From: I have welcomed the dawn from the fields of Saskatchewan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
redflag
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12372

posted 30 May 2007 02:21 PM      Profile for redflag     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by unionist:

I think Stéphane Dion's positions are largely disastrous for Canada or (where they're not) hypocritical. But the concept of "good Prime Minister" is an intriguing one. Who would you say was a good Prime Minister, Scott?

I nominate unionist.

unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 30 May 2007 02:23 PM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by redflag:

I nominate unionist.

Very kind, but you won't get a seconder on this board.

[Edited by Michelle to change redflag's name]

[ 22 June 2008: Message edited by: Michelle ]

Adam T
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4631

posted 30 May 2007 02:26 PM      Profile for Adam T     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Let me get this straight: he promised a group of union members rallying against plant closures tax cuts?!?!

Actually, Ken Georgetti was on Politics with Don Newman asking for the same thing.

Steppenwolf Allende
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13076

posted 30 May 2007 02:31 PM      Profile for Steppenwolf Allende     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Actually, Ken Georgetti was on Politics with Don Newman asking for the same thing.

Try again. Georgetti wasn't asking for tax break for workers about to lose their jobs. He was demanding that the job losses and plant closures be stopped.

The tax breaks was a general proposal because he quite rightly feels that taxes for working people are too high given what we're actually getting from the federal government.

From: goes far, flies near, to the stars away from here | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4168

posted 30 May 2007 02:41 PM      Profile for Robo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What exactly does the crowd chant repeatedly in the video, that is linked above under "Globe and Mail"? I can't tell.
West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 30 May 2007 02:45 PM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steppenwolf Allende:

Right. This Corporate Canada marionette, on direct orders from his bosses, stabs working people in the back by voting down the anti-scab bill after (in typical Liberal fashion) promising to support it, and then offers workers facing job-loss a tax break that will mostly go to the boss--and you think he'd make a good prime minister.

I can see why you're still backing the "Green" Party.

He is, in my opinion, the best option between the two governing parties today. He is in most progressives' opinion the best candidate between the two governing parties today, including Elizabeth May AND Jack Layton (as badly as he doesn't want you to know it).

[ 30 May 2007: Message edited by: West Coast Greeny ]

Wade Tompkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14185

posted 30 May 2007 02:45 PM      Profile for Wade Tompkins        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robo:
What exactly does the crowd chant repeatedly in the video, that is linked above under "Globe and Mail"? I can't tell.

ANTI-SCAB
ANTI-SCAB
ANTI-SCAB
etc, then
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 30 May 2007 02:46 PM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
They're chanting 'anti-scab,' reminding Dion and the Liberals of their backtracking on anti-scab legislation earlier this year.

Having supported the bill at second reading, the Liberals, complying with the wishes of corporate Canada, ultimately joined with the Conservatives to kill the bill.

From: I have welcomed the dawn from the fields of Saskatchewan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lord Palmerston
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4901

posted 30 May 2007 02:59 PM      Profile for Lord Palmerston     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So will Buzz campaign with Dion in the next election?
kropotkin1951
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2732

posted 30 May 2007 03:06 PM      Profile for kropotkin1951   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by West Coast Greeny:

He is, in my opinion, the best option between the two governing parties today. He is in most progressives' opinion the best candidate between the two governing parties today, including Elizabeth May AND Jack Layton (as badly as he doesn't want you to know it).

[ 30 May 2007: Message edited by: West Coast Greeny ]

The better of two corporate boot lickers is quite frankly not a progresive choice it is a vote for the status quo of corporate Canada ruling for themselves. A puppet is still a puppet and his strings really showed in the anti-scab debate.

remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 30 May 2007 03:42 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by kropotkin1951:
The better of two corporate boot lickers is quite frankly not a progresive choice it is a vote for the status quo of corporate Canada ruling for themselves. A puppet is still a puppet and his strings really showed in the anti-scab debate.

Good to point that out, and it seems that is about where the Greens are too apparently.

Sad to see actually, and disappointing, I really wanted to have another choice than the NDP. The only other choice is not to vote it seems.

From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 30 May 2007 03:50 PM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Palmerston:

He's campaigning for him already, to judge by his comments on Charles Adler's radio program today.

Hargrove told Adler that Dion actually had a 'great reception' at the rally, and it was only a small number--'a handful'--of demonstrators who were booing him on the anti-scab question at the very end of his remarks.

Hargrove conceded that Dion was being 'rightfully' booed for his stand on the anti-scab bill, but said that Dion was working to rectify the situation by introducing his own, improved version of anti-scab legislation.

You can hear Hargrove's interview with Adler by going to 2:00pm, May 30 in the CJOB Audio Vault, and then start listening at about 17:00 minutes.

Nothing from Hargrove about the Liberals' support for the free trade agreement with South Korea the CAW says will be so harmful to the economy.

[ 30 May 2007: Message edited by: sgm ]

farnival
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6452

posted 30 May 2007 03:51 PM      Profile for farnival     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Very kind, but you won't get a seconder on this board.

seconded!

From: where private gain trumps public interest, and apparently that's just dandy. | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
thorin_bane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6194

posted 30 May 2007 04:02 PM      Profile for thorin_bane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Yes, because the love in with the libs was also down here in Windsor with Basil Bar-nose. I had to walk away. I am not a huge union lover to start with and Ken Lewenza CAW 444 gave a very good speech(even if sounding like roddy piper) Too bad it was spoiled by buzz boy. At the rally the only polito mentioned where the 3 lib mpps, but the paper said all the local politicians where there....I have a hard time believeing the MP for essex one jeff watson (con) was there, but I couldn't see the stage anyway.

From: Looking at the despair of Detroit from across the river! | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
redflag
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12372

posted 30 May 2007 04:08 PM      Profile for redflag     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by thorin_bane:

Yes, because the love in with the libs was also down here in Windsor with Basil Bar-nose. I had to walk away. I am not a huge union lover to start with and Ken Lewenza CAW 444 gave a very good speech(even if sounding like roddy piper) Too bad it was spoiled by buzz boy. At the rally the only polito mentioned where the 3 lib mpps, but the paper said all the local politicians where there....I have a hard time believeing the MP for essex one jeff watson (con) was there, but I couldn't see the stage anyway.

He was. He was doing the same thing as the rest of the politicians there...

Self promoting.

He said something about how Buzz supported their stance on the environment.

He named some small iniatives the Conservatives brought forward that supposedly help manufacturing.

I heard him on the radio a day later with Sandra Pupatello, and they were just blaming each other for letting this happening.

sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 30 May 2007 04:11 PM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Some photos of the rally are here at the NUPGE site.

quote:
Harper and Dion booed

Conservative Prime Minister Steven Harper, conspicuous by his absence, was roundly booed at each mention of the federal government and its failure to stem the loss of good-paying jobs across the country.

Dion was also booed by demonstrators upset at him for withdrawing Liberal support earlier this spring of legislation that would have outlawed the use of scabs – replacement workers – during strikes and lockouts in areas of federal jurisdiction.

redflag
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12372

posted 30 May 2007 04:24 PM      Profile for redflag     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
*THREAD DRIFT*

quote:
Originally posted by sgm:
Dion's promise in the video that "free trade will be free trade; it will not be one-way" rings a bit hollow, given that he was at the cabinet table when the Liberals set in motion the current free-trade negotiations with South Korea.

These negotiations, if carried through to a treaty, are predicted by the CAW to cost thousands of Canadian jobs.

He's no more credible a critic of free trade than John Turner.

To put a bit of history behind this statement, I'd like to add a bit to this. From what I've been told, the Liberals were very tenacious in opposing free trade during the 1988 election. Another election passed by and they had softened their tone. By the time they got into inking a new deal with the Yanks about trade, we ended up with the defunct agreement we have now.

No Liberal should be allowed any credibility on the issue of opposing free trade. We've been fooled by them once already. Let's not make the same mistake twice.

*/THREAD DRIFT*

Getting back to the topic at hand, allow me to propose a tinfoil hat theory on the anti-scab legislation if I may.

I think what could possibly be going on here is that Buzz is trying to line up the Liberals as the new party of the CAW. If I had to guess, they probably knew what was coming down the tubes on the Anti-Scab legislation a long time ago, but wanted to kill it so that they could put up their "improved" anti-scab legislation (which should pass this time). The idea is that the Liberals then get the crown of "party of the workers" because they were the ones who started off the legislation.

It's a really cynical tin foil hat theory, but it's what I expect these days from politicians.

Adam T
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4631

posted 30 May 2007 05:11 PM      Profile for Adam T     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Try again. Georgetti wasn't asking for tax break for workers about to lose their jobs. He was demanding that the job losses and plant closures be stopped.

The tax breaks was a general proposal because he quite rightly feels that taxes for working people are too high given what we're actually getting from the federal government.

That is totally incorrect. He was calling for reduction of taxes on manufacturing companies, especially the acceleration of the capital cost allowance. He argued, to be sure that a company would only get these tax cuts if they tied it to job creation performance.

That does not take away from the fact that one of his primary solutions to the loss of manufacturing jobs is tax cuts for manufacturing companies.

[ 30 May 2007: Message edited by: Adam T ]

unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 30 May 2007 05:33 PM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steppenwolf Allende:

If Georgetti called for income tax cuts, he should be condemned...

Of course, no worry, because he did not. And SA, do you really believe what you just said - that taxes for working people are "too high"?? Or did you just mean that services should be improved?

remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 30 May 2007 05:54 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From the link to pics above, and I really loved that pic of Jack amidst the banners, awesome shot! Oh, ya, the one with a Woman's Place is in her union too!

quote:
The protesters set up a "Job Loss Cemetery" complete with dozens of symbolic tombstones to highlight the destruction that has taken place, especially in the manufacturing sector.

The RCMP, apparently acting at the instruction of the prime minister's office, ordered organizers to dismantle the display and remove it. They refused and eventually it was allowed to remain until the rally ended. The mock headstones were emblazoned with the names of companies that have chopped jobs and, in many cases, moved them to Mexico or overseas.

"They wanted our graveyard taken away," CLC President Ken Georgetti told the crowd ."They don't like to see tombstones with all of those jobs gone in Canada."

Stupid ass Harper trying to get the display pulled down by using the RCMP.

And today BC was hit with news that thousands more forest product jobs will be lost this year.

[ 30 May 2007: Message edited by: remind ]

Life, the universe, everything
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13982

posted 30 May 2007 07:14 PM      Profile for Life, the universe, everything     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, that's it for me and the CBC. They showed a shot of Dion looking concerned from the stage and no mention of Dion being booed. Couldn't be more blatant.
No way this is a true public broadcaster, it is a bastion for the status quo as bad or worse as the privately owned stations.

Booooo! to the CBC

From: a little to the left - a bit more-there perfect | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Max Bialystock
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13870

posted 30 May 2007 07:18 PM      Profile for Max Bialystock     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Buzz used to be a good critic of the NDP from the Left. Now he's lost all my respect ever since "Jacketgate". Then he came out against Kyoto and in favour of Israeli aggression. Sad.

I much prefer Sid Ryan he is far more principled.

Mercy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13853

posted 30 May 2007 08:09 PM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

He is, in my opinion, the best option between the two governing parties today. He is in most progressives' opinion the best candidate between the two governing parties today...

I know this is the conventional wisdom but I'm note sure I see much evidence that it would actually be the case.

From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 30 May 2007 08:53 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Frankly, I think the "2 governing" parties", are going to have to wake up to the fact there is actually 4 governing parties in Canada. And it could remain that way for a good long time.

Notwithstanding, of course, is the elephant in the room called the CPC, who are not, no matter how hard and often it is spun the historical Tories.

It is getting embarassing that these Greenies are now having to actually say Dion would be a good leader, because of the deal with Ms May.

FraserValleyMan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13970

posted 30 May 2007 10:30 PM      Profile for FraserValleyMan        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Life, the universe, everything:
Well, that's it for me and the CBC. They showed a shot of Dion looking concerned from the stage and no mention of Dion being booed. Couldn't be more blatant.
No way this is a true public broadcaster, it is a bastion for the status quo as bad or worse as the privately owned stations.

Booooo! to the CBC

I didn't happen to see this piece of CBC Liberalism. Was this on The National? I have to say that ever since the 2004 and 2006 elections, and the CBC's incredibly servile promotion of the Liberal "Vote Strategic" meme, I have been disgusted by the CBC's revolting partisanship.

From: Port Coquitlam, BC | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 30 May 2007 10:38 PM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You can find video of Ron Charles's story for the CBC's The National here: Link.

Charles makes no mention of Dion's rough reception at the rally in his story, focusing more on the issue of job losses themselves, but the web-page version of the story does note the workers' anger at Dion:

quote:
"We're devastated by their monetary policy, their tax policy and their terrible trade negotiations," said Ken Georgetti, president of the Canadian Labour Congress, which organized the demonstration.

While Georgetti's words were met with cheers, Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion was booed loudly when he addressed the workers, many of whom take issue with the Liberals' opposition to anti-scab legislation.

Treetop
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9699

posted 30 May 2007 11:23 PM      Profile for Treetop     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"I think what could possibly be going on here is that Buzz is trying to line up the Liberals as the new party of the CAW. If I had to guess, they probably knew what was coming down the tubes on the Anti-Scab legislation a long time ago, but wanted to kill it so that they could put up their "improved" anti-scab legislation (which should pass this time). The idea is that the Liberals then get the crown of "party of the workers" because they were the ones who started off the legislation."

Bingo! I couldn't agree more.

I also agree with the comment regarding the CBC. I went to the CBC site at least 10 times today looking for a mention of this and nothing!

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 31 May 2007 04:18 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

As an NDP supporter, I certainly hope he does.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonas
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12307

posted 31 May 2007 05:47 AM      Profile for Jonas     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't know all the ins and outs of union politics but I simply don't understand how Buzz Hargrove continues to enjoy the support of the CAW membership with his ridiculous antics of supporting Martin and now Dion. One MIGHT imagine that Dion's vote against the anti-scab legislation might have Buzz looking for a new lover.............apparently not. What will it take for the CAW to kick him out of the top job??
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 31 May 2007 05:49 AM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I hope Dion campaigns from coast to coast surrounded by his "dream team" - Buzz Hargrove, Elizabeth May, David Orchard and.....Garth Turner!

Canada's new government-in-waiting!

N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 31 May 2007 05:53 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
For some reason we're going to be treated to David Orchard at our annual Peace Walk in Winnipeg. Blecch. The guy gives me the creeps.
From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 31 May 2007 06:40 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonas:
I don't know all the ins and outs of union politics but I simply don't understand how Buzz Hargrove continues to enjoy the support of the CAW membership with his ridiculous antics of supporting Martin and now Dion. One MIGHT imagine that Dion's vote against the anti-scab legislation might have Buzz looking for a new lover.............apparently not. What will it take for the CAW to kick him out of the top job??

Buzz would not have won a one person one vote election, his recent re-election was the product of caucus politics and political arm twisting.

In CAW politics, it was quite something that his re-election was not an re-acclimation.

Buzz is set to retire. But we will see more of him, not less, as provincial Liberal governments throw jobs his way. Without a federal party in office, I doubt very much he'll get that senate appointment or ambassadorship.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenS
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1174

posted 31 May 2007 08:00 AM      Profile for KenS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Buzz is set to retire. But we will see more of him, not less,

This is what I had guessed also. Oh boy.

Buzz is such a political dilitante that he couldn't even make headway in lobbying outside collective bargaining in unionized autoworkers interests.

His ingratiating himself with Paul Martin did at least make sense within the narrow confines of 'business unionism'. But Martin had a very tenuous hold on power, and Buzz went out of way to poke Harper in the eye. Hardly the way to do his Presidents job of covering all the bases.

So he was a political diletante where he had reason and incentive to be focused.

God only knows what he's capable of when he cuts loose from a day job!

My guess is that if he doesn't get a bully pulpit to replace the one he is retiring from, the media will stop reporting his self serving rants.

But I guess there are all sorts of panels or whatever- some not dreamed of yet- that Dalton could appoint him to head if the Liberals win the election in October.

From: Minasville, NS | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pogo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2999

posted 31 May 2007 08:03 AM      Profile for Pogo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I went to CBC to write an angry letter and found this:

Liberal leader heckled off stage at Ottawa labour rally

quote:
OTTAWA (CP) - Liberal Leader Stephane Dion has been heckled off the stage at a labour protest rally in Ottawa.

Dion was taunted by several thousand unionized workers as he spoke on Parliament Hill, and was eventually drowned out by chanting. There were loud boos from the crowd as he left the gathering, with many people complaining about the Liberal party's stand against anti-scab legislation.

OTTAWA (CP) - Liberal Leader Stephane Dion has been heckled off the stage at a labour protest rally in Ottawa.

Dion was taunted by several thousand unionized workers as he spoke on Parliament Hill, and was eventually drowned out by chanting. There were loud boos from the crowd as he left the gathering, with many people complaining about the Liberal party's stand against anti-scab legislation.

Granted it was a CP story, but the CBC story didn't seem charitable either:

quote:
While Georgetti's words were met with cheers, Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion was booed loudly when he addressed the workers, many of whom take issue with the Liberals' opposition to anti-scab legislation.

[ 31 May 2007: Message edited by: Pogo ]

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 31 May 2007 08:22 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
But I guess there are all sorts of panels or whatever- some not dreamed of yet- that Dalton could appoint him to head if the Liberals win the election in October.

Not to mention the obligatory 30 pieces of silver.

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 31 May 2007 08:26 AM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Granted it was a CP story, but the CBC story didn't seem charitable either.

True, the stories on their website do mention the heckling. But, the principal complaint that people have is about their TV coverage, which didn't mention it at all (but showed a taciturn Dion on stage standing near Ken Georgetti).

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 31 May 2007 08:38 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Either way, it was a complete disaster from Dion's perspective. Even the crowd that doesn't like labour will see Dion for a fool.

I mean, who was advising him, anyway? The shrewd move for Dion would have been to "be busy" that day, and have Iggy thumscrews or (snarf-chortle) Bob Rae take the Liberal banner to the labour protest.

kropotkin1951
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2732

posted 31 May 2007 09:44 AM      Profile for kropotkin1951   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Getting back to the topic at hand, allow me to propose a tinfoil hat theory on the anti-scab legislation if I may.

I think what could possibly be going on here is that Buzz is trying to line up the Liberals as the new party of the CAW. If I had to guess, they probably knew what was coming down the tubes on the Anti-Scab legislation a long time ago, but wanted to kill it so that they could put up their "improved" anti-scab legislation (which should pass this time).

From the news coverage I saw the "improvement" to the legistlation will likely consist of ensuring that scabs can be allowed in essential services. The Liberals agreed in principle with banning scabs but drew the line at essential services. Nice to know that if you work in essential services your job can be done by a scab while you wear a hole in the pavement with futile pickets because there is little pressure on your employer. And the real kicker is what is essential? Workers in the marine industry already have no real right to strike if their job actions affect grain shipments.

The Liberals don't support unionized workers and their struggles or they would understand the fundamental principal that a scab is a scab and no scabs should ever be allowed.

Robo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4168

posted 31 May 2007 11:42 AM      Profile for Robo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
And the real kicker is what is essential? Workers in the marine industry already have no real right to strike if their job actions affect grain shipments.

The word "essential" in the Bill put forward by the Liberals after voting against the anti-scab bill is meaningless. It was discussed at http://www.rabble.ca/babble/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=006450&p= (Sorry, I don't know how to make shorter links within Babble pages). Look for the posting by "Robo" in that thread -- I don't want to explain again why the word that the Liberals claim prevented them from voting in facvour of the original bill actually has no meaning in the Bill they proposed.

redflag
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12372

posted 31 May 2007 01:57 PM      Profile for redflag     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

If Georgetti called for income tax cuts, he should be condemned...

Of course, no worry, because he did not. And SA, do you really believe what you just said - that taxes for working people are "too high"?? Or did you just mean that services should be improved?

I'm going to bet you an imaginary dollar that he meant to say that we're not getting our money's worth from the taxes we pay. I say this because it's what I think, and it's probably what a lot of like minded people think as well.

I'd love to bitch about my own taxes, but the truth is that I don't pay a whole lot of taxes because of my income level... As such, I'll refrain from becoming too self-pitying. Instead, I'll bitch about the fact that the rest of the hard working people in this country have to pay through the teeth in taxes and they get to see their money laundered into the hands of the corporate parasites of the world who do nothing but take, take, take, and take, while taking some more.

Seriously, if you look at how your taxes are spent, I'll bet you another imaginary dollar that a sizable chunk of that tax money doesn't even go to the noble purposes we all want it to be going to such as health care, social assistance, infrastructure, and the like.

The way I see things, we ought to get some of the university kids to start doing some research into government spending. It'd be interesting to see an detailed account of what happens to the tax dollars collected. I'd like to know how much of it ends up in the hands of bankers and loan sharks.

Ken Burch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8346

posted 31 May 2007 01:57 PM      Profile for Ken Burch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here's another thought on the Dion "booing".

Could the Liberals actually have MEANT for the booing to occur, so that later they could use it in an ad where they praised their leader for "not kowtowing to union coercion" or something like that?

From: A seedy truckstop on the Information Superhighway | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wade Tompkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14185

posted 31 May 2007 02:27 PM      Profile for Wade Tompkins        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Burch:

They weren't saying 'Boo'. They were saying 'Boourns', errr I mean 'Booion'.

YouTube

redflag
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12372

posted 31 May 2007 02:54 PM      Profile for redflag     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Burch:

Could the Liberals actually have MEANT for the booing to occur, so that later they could use it in an ad where they praised their leader for "not kowtowing to union coercion" or something like that?

Not likely. This would have been more likely if it was the Cons. The Liberals on the other hand have to fake like they care about unions.

unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 31 May 2007 03:09 PM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
From the news coverage I saw the "improvement" to the legistlation will likely consist of ensuring that scabs can be allowed in essential services.

The news coverage was wrong.

The original BQ bill would have banned managers from doing bargaining unit work during a strike. That actually goes beyond most existing anti-scab legislation, because "scabs" are generally considered as people hired to replace strikers - not existing employees who are non-unionized. The Liberals would allow managers to do work, but not non-managers hired after notice to bargain was served. That brings it more in line with Québec and B.C. law. Also, they added the words "essential services", but section 87.4 of the Canada Labour Code already provided for the mandatory maintenance of any service whose removal would constitute "an immediate danger to the health or safety of the public" - so their "essential service" thing is actually irrelevant one way or the other.

The Liberals tried to amend the BQ private members' bill to include these points, but were told by the Speaker that they couldn't. This was their excuse to turn tail and betray.

The Liberals' new anti-scab bill (C-415) is actually quite all right overall, but it's a fraud, because it's likely to die on the order paper whenever an election is called.

Anyway, I hope that's clear.

KenS
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1174

posted 31 May 2007 05:15 PM      Profile for KenS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
All the work the Liberals put into fraudulent positioning must be cooking some brains on the Hill.

Twas much easier when they were government. They could govern from the right, which helped keep the divided conservatives safely in a box.

And for 13 years they only had to posture to the left for the brief periods of ramping up to an election. No intellectual sweat there: just recycle the promises from the last election.

Life is much more complicated in opposition: they have to compete with the NDP on a continuous basis. Not as easy as just having the brief distraction of re-issuing unfulfilled promises, before going back to the important work of running the country for another 3 or 4 years.

The Liberals in government would never even have pretended to support anti-scab regulation. And in the end they decided they couldn't even take the free ride of supporting it as opposition.

But they creatively cover their tracks with an allegedly necessary 'improvement' that does nothing.

Then there was the higher profile smoke and mirrors of not tampering with business as usual for the Afghanistan mission, but cynically packaging it with rhetoric that pretends to set limits but requires nothing at all.

And before that we had months and months of deliberate stalling on climate change action, capped with the cynical exercise of 'the Rodriguez Bill' affirming in entirety Kyoto targets that Liberal government stalling had put out of reach.

My hope- and I don't think its unreasonable- is that so much energy goes into all these contortions that come the heat of an election they'll be too disoriented to put on a credible show.

Even without an election, and even with Harper sputtering, the pretzel twisting at best keeps their heads barely above the water.

From: Minasville, NS | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
scooter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5548

posted 31 May 2007 05:24 PM      Profile for scooter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
...Canadians actually aren't interested in tax cuts anymore. Charest is about to lose his government (in record time) over the issue. 70% of the electorate is opposed to the tax cut/federalist bribe he's proposing.

You haven't a clue about Quebec politics. Just before the election he was attacked for not providing enough tax cuts by the two opposition parties and lost his majority.

FraserValleyMan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13970

posted 31 May 2007 10:04 PM      Profile for FraserValleyMan        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Not likely. This would have been more likely if it was the Cons. The Liberals on the other hand have to fake like they care about unions.

In Western Canada both federal and provincial Liberal parties have often included a fairly pronounced anti-union attitude. That may not be something you've encountered in Ontario, but here it's pretty much standard. Just ask Mark Marissen, Dion's No 1 handler.

From: Port Coquitlam, BC | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Erik Redburn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5052

posted 31 May 2007 10:12 PM      Profile for Erik Redburn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by scooter:

You haven't a clue about Quebec politics. Just before the election he was attacked for not providing enough tax cuts by the two opposition parties and lost his majority.

Or maybe he lost his majority for being an all around rightwing jerk and liar, gutting governments services, oversight and unions across the province. But hey, let's just let the corporate mono-media tell us what we think too, Quebeckers really Are to the right of the rest of us now.

From: Broke but not bent. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 31 May 2007 10:40 PM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
unionist wrote:The Liberals tried to amend the BQ private members' bill to include these points, but were told by the Speaker that they couldn't. This was their excuse to turn tail and betray.

So would it be your sense, unionist, that the 'essential services' concern raised by the Liberals back in March was essentially a sort of 'fig leaf,' hiding their disgraceful flip-flop on the proposed anti-scab bill?

That's my view, anyway.

CSM-NDP
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13613

posted 01 June 2007 08:51 AM      Profile for CSM-NDP     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
remember the semoitics of this situation.

Dion = Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Perfect branding.

From: Toronto-Danforth | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 01 June 2007 09:30 AM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgm:

So would it be your sense, unionist, that the 'essential services' concern raised by the Liberals back in March was essentially a sort of 'fig leaf,' hiding their disgraceful flip-flop on the proposed anti-scab bill?

That's my view, anyway.

Absolutely. In fact, if you read their draft bill carefully (unless it has changed in the meantime), the insertion of "essential services" could be interpreted as limiting the range of services which must be maintained during a strike/lockout. I don't think that could have been the Liberals' intent; rather, it's an indication of the breakneck speed at which they were drafting excuses to betray their second-reading support.

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 01 June 2007 09:58 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Canadians actually aren't interested in tax cuts anymore.

O RLY?

Seriously, I'm not going to debate whether it is actually in the best interests of the worker or even a good thing in general. The only time a tax cut is ever unpopular with anyone is when the person you ask isn't getting one while someone else is.

If Dion championed a very pro-union anti-scab law AND promised a tax cut for workers, I think there would have been a different reaction from that crowd.

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
N.R.KISSED
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1258

posted 01 June 2007 10:15 AM      Profile for N.R.KISSED     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The only time a tax cut is ever unpopular with anyone is when the person you ask isn't getting one while someone else is.

Anyone who does the basic accounting would be opposed to tax cuts when they realize, that what they gain through tax cuts the lose doubly in service charges. Not to mention the disappearance of fundamental services for those who don't have means to pay, but if you're stupid short sighted and greedy tax cuts are great.

From: Republic of Parkdale | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 01 June 2007 01:18 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not to mention that when insurance companies, cable companies and utilities smell that working people might have some expendible income, up go the bills.

The Mike Harris "tax" cuts were very expensive in Ontario. But on the other hand, under Harris, no one ever died from drinking the water here.

janfromthebruce
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14090

posted 01 June 2007 08:38 PM      Profile for janfromthebruce     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"If Dion championed a very pro-union anti-scab law AND promised a tax cut for workers, I think there would have been a different reaction from that crowd."

Greeny, the labour groups were protesting the loss of manufacturing jobs. Tax cuts are irrelevant when you don't have a job.

In fact, when one doesn't have a job, one uses more services, such as IE, welfare, employment counselling, and so on.

Remember tax cuts are based on earned income, so if you lose your well paying job and end up working in another for a lot less money, your ratio of tax cut goes down and can become basically irrelevant. Of course, your other expenses don't change, and one can't necessarily pay all those 'user fees' or pay for retraining, and other services.

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 02 June 2007 10:34 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by janfromthebruce:
"If Dion championed a very pro-union anti-scab law AND promised a tax cut for workers, I think there would have been a different reaction from that crowd."

Greeny, the labour groups were protesting the loss of manufacturing jobs. Tax cuts are irrelevant when you don't have a job.

In fact, when one doesn't have a job, one uses more services, such as IE, welfare, employment counselling, and so on.

Remember tax cuts are based on earned income, so if you lose your well paying job and end up working in another for a lot less money, your ratio of tax cut goes down and can become basically irrelevant. Of course, your other expenses don't change, and one can't necessarily pay all those 'user fees' or pay for retraining, and other services.

You quoted me and attributed it to Greeny. We're not the same person.

And you're right. My point was that Dion was not booed because workers want to pay more taxes. He was booed because the workers don't think he has been doing enough to protect their jobs.

Why is this an important distinction? Because pretending that most manufacturing workers wouldn't mind a tax hike is not a bet I would want to take. Yes, I can see why they want legislation that protects their interests. But, if it did not mean sacrificing their other interests, would they necessarily say "no" to a tax cut that would mean more money in their pockets? Call it greed if you will, but people tend to like their money. Manufacturing workers are no exception.

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
wage zombie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7673

posted 02 June 2007 10:44 PM      Profile for wage zombie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gir Draxon:

And you're right. My point was that Dion was not booed because workers want to pay more taxes. He was booed because the workers don't think he has been doing enough to protect their jobs.

But isn't it also a slap in the face that with massive job losses he's offering cuts in gov't services (since tax cuts = service cuts)

From: sunshine coast BC | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
terra1st
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4605

posted 03 June 2007 12:42 AM      Profile for terra1st     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I can't wait to see the conservative add with this in it...

I think it will go something like this:

mr dion says he's a great leader... what do you think? (play clip here)

end of add.

Incidentally, I think folks should accept that the CBC had lots of coverage of this on both Politics with don newman and The House. And in both shows they stated (over and over again) how bad this looked.

[ 03 June 2007: Message edited by: terra1st ]

kropotkin1951
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2732

posted 04 June 2007 09:07 AM      Profile for kropotkin1951   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy_Paine:
Not to mention that when insurance companies, cable companies and utilities smell that working people might have some expendible income, up go the bills.

The Mike Harris "tax" cuts were very expensive in Ontario. But on the other hand, under Harris, no one ever died from drinking the water here.

Or look at Ford and its Hybrid Escape. The feds kick in a $2,000 tax break and loe and behold the price of Escape Hybrids go up by almost the exact same amount. Supply and demand. The tax brak increased the demand so Ford increased the price. Tax breaks for Ford not consumers.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca