FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Throne Speech

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Throne Speech
fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 04 April 2006 05:00 PM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post
Anybody listening to this dreck?
Terry Lider
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12301

posted 04 April 2006 05:06 PM      Profile for Terry Lider        Edit/Delete Post
Absolutely. It's the best thrown speech Canadians have had the pleasure to listen to in a very long time.
MartinArendt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9723

posted 04 April 2006 05:07 PM      Profile for MartinArendt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Lider:
Absolutely. It's the best thrown speech Canadians have had the pleasure to listen to in a very long time.

The best thrown speech? I wouldn't mind throwing this speech somewhere...

fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 04 April 2006 05:08 PM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post
Spelling flames are lame, but I can't resist.

quote:

ETA: You fast, Martin.

[ 04 April 2006: Message edited by: fern hill ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 04 April 2006 05:10 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
First day back, and they're already having a bun fight?
MartinArendt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9723

posted 04 April 2006 05:12 PM      Profile for MartinArendt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by fern hill:
Spelling flames are lame, but I can't resist.

ETA: You fast, Martin.

[ 04 April 2006: Message edited by: fern hill ]

(blows on smoking index finger) Well, ma'am, they don't call me Lightnin' Type fer nuthin...

Edited to change "for nuthin" to "fer nuthin", to keep with the character. Also, I'm not too happy with the whole "Lightnin' Type" thing, but I was trying to think on my feet. I don't know. Maybe I need a better cowboy/babbler name.

[ 04 April 2006: Message edited by: MartinArendt ]

fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 04 April 2006 05:25 PM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post
I'm listening to local CBC radio coverage. The spinners are spinning this as demonstrating that Harper intends to govern as a minority in consultation with others.

They ran a reaction from Judy Iwonteventrytospell (you know, NDP critic) about how they're cautiously optimistic about negotiating some changes to Reformatories' child care plan.

I'm hoping the freaks are foaming.

downtown eastside
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3609

posted 04 April 2006 05:26 PM      Profile for downtown eastside     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Maybe Terry missed a word. Certainly the best thrown up speech I've heard over the past few months . . . gag, choke, furball . . .

P.S. Terry: What's wrong with the rest of the folks in Mississauga? Clearly they don't catch what the Harpocons are throwing . . . you need to spend less time on here extolling their virtues and more time knocking on doors in Streetsville. Good luck and god bless Mississauga . . . gag, choke, furball . . .

Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 04 April 2006 05:27 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I've heard "throne" speeches from folks with explosive diarrhea and hemmoroids who still weren't as full of shit as Harper and his little suck-up Terry.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 04 April 2006 05:32 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I didn't think Ralph Klein had migrated to federal politics already. I hope no parliamentary pages were hurt.

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 04 April 2006 05:33 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jack just gave his reaction to the Speech from the Throne. Peter Mansbridge said he was shocked by Layton's enthusiasm for it. What, are Jack and Stevie bosom buddies, now?

edited: spilling

[ 04 April 2006: Message edited by: Boom Boom ]

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 04 April 2006 05:38 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
double post

[ 04 April 2006: Message edited by: Boom Boom ]

Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 04 April 2006 05:46 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boom Boom:
Jack just gave his reaction to the Speech from the Drone. Peter Mansbridge said he was shocked by Layton's enthusiasm for it. What, are Jack and Stevie bosom buddies, now?

I think they've gone to some pains to try to please - or at least not antagonize - the NDP. The first part of the speech - before it gets to specifics - reads a lot like an NDP throne speech might and the remainder certainly isn't as right-wing as you'd expect. It's pretty boring and open-ended, which certainly suits Jack Layton fine as he tries to get NDP issues addressed.

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Terry Lider
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12301

posted 04 April 2006 05:50 PM      Profile for Terry Lider        Edit/Delete Post
Jack knows a good thrown speech when he's heard it!
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 04 April 2006 05:51 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
At least Jack said he will discuss the Throne Speech with caucus before making a decision on supporting it.
Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 04 April 2006 05:57 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"throne", or "thrown", Terry?

As I've been saying since early December 2005, Harper's plan was for a relatively short minority govt - get in, do what he says he'll do (limited "priorities" is spin itself), and then try to win a majority.

Of course, he messed up some by appointing Emerson and Fortier and thats going to hurt.

From: Vancouver Kingway - Democracy In Peril | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 04 April 2006 06:01 PM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Jack knows a good thrown speech when he's heard it!

Geez, Terry, you even read other posts here? Guyz, it's a bot.

eau
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10058

posted 04 April 2006 06:03 PM      Profile for eau        Edit/Delete Post
Michael, you did say that, and I totally agree. When we are all feeling kumbaya with his moderation then we will see events unfold as you predicted. It made sense when you said it the first time and it makes a lot more sense now.
fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 04 April 2006 06:03 PM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post
Guyz, Wilf started a thread on this before I did, here. Let's leave this one to the troll-bot.
JPG
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10478

posted 04 April 2006 06:05 PM      Profile for JPG     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Enjoy it Terry, because it might be the only conservative throne speech that passes.

I was in class and didn't get to see it, but wish to also vomit an my own mouth. Anyone know if/when they will show it again on CPAC.

[ 04 April 2006: Message edited by: JPG ]

From: Toronto/Ottawa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
zalky
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12260

posted 04 April 2006 06:52 PM      Profile for zalky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I second that, JPG. What's most alarming is the lack of detail in the cons' speech. We can only guess what exactly they have up their sleeves for child care, health care, justice and the environment. This is consistent with Harper's obsession with secrecy and hiding from the media. And they're talking about improving accountability? What a joke.

I checked the CPAC schedule, and apparently the throne speech will be re-broadcast this evening at 10pm EDT... If you really feel inclined to listen to this garbage.

JPG
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10478

posted 04 April 2006 07:07 PM      Profile for JPG     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks zalky, I'll try to watch it. The Jays game should just be finishing, so I'd be in front of the TV anyway.

And I don't think it would take too much creativity to think of what Kandaharper has on his real agenda, if he ever gets a majority. I'll be interested in seeing the reactions of the other parties over the next couple days.

From: Toronto/Ottawa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 04 April 2006 07:11 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
One of the pundits speculated that there will be another Throne Speech in September, after the Cons have a chance to sit down over the summer and flesh out exactly what they want to accomplish in their mandate. It seemed pretty clear that there will not be another election in 2006 from all the responses I've heard today from all quarters (haven't heard the BQ response yet).

Prediction: the Cons will throw everything they have into Quebec, including that UNESCO sop they announced today, and, as mentioned on The National's "At Issue" panel last night, massive, massive federal spending in Quebec, and, with Jean Charest, there will be much more of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours". Expect a huge love-in between Harpoon and Charest very soon. The Cons came second in 40 Quebec ridings last time - that's where their majority will come from.

We're in for a very rough ride, folks.

Aristotleded24
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9327

posted 04 April 2006 07:16 PM      Profile for Aristotleded24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boom Boom:
Prediction: the Cons will throw everything they have into Quebec, including that UNESCO sop they announced today, and, as mentioned on The National's "At Issue" panel last night, massive, massive federal spending in Quebec, and, with Jean Charest, there will be much more of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours". Expect a huge love-in between Harpoon and Charest very soon. The Cons came second in 40 Quebec ridings last time - that's where their majority will come from.

Isn't Charest unpopular in Quebec? Couldn't Harper get stung by being too closely associated with him?

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 04 April 2006 07:22 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Originally posted by Aristotleded24:
Isn't Charest unpopular in Quebec? Couldn't Harper get stung by being too closely associated with him?

Are you kidding? Who in Quebec wouldn't appreciate these two dimbulbs after helping themselves to the goodie bags Harpoon will bring?
(sarcasm alert).

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 04 April 2006 08:09 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Seriously, Charest needs Harpoon (and federal money) to make himself look good, and Charest may be the key to Harpoon's fortunes in Quebec.
Left_Wing_New_Democrat
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11258

posted 04 April 2006 08:17 PM      Profile for Left_Wing_New_Democrat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is a thrown speech in the sense that the asshole said it from a shitter!
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 04 April 2006 08:19 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by fern hill:
Guyz, Wilf started a thread on this before I did, here. Let's leave this one to the troll-bot.

Or, we can just close it.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca