babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Harper didn't get much in the way of results

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Harper didn't get much in the way of results
Andy (Andrew)
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10884

posted 01 April 2006 01:06 PM      Profile for Andy (Andrew)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
http://tinyurl.com/qa5bw

quote:
After gratuitously complimenting Harper twice for speaking his mind, Bush said this at the concluding press conference: "That's the way I like to deal with people."

quote:

More practically — and less dangerously for a prime minister who can't afford to get too close to an unpopular president — Harper secured Washington commitments to look harder at Ottawa's trade concerns including the decades-old softwood lumber dispute and looming border controls that could hurt business and devastate tourism.

..... As for softwood, the challenge for Conservatives now is to secure a better deal than the one Liberals were finalizing just as the winter election campaign began.
It's also true this first face-to-face meeting between three continental leaders was never about softwood lumber or other 49th-parallel tensions. Instead, its focus was the Rio Grande and, more specifically, those who cross it secretly.

I don't agree with needing a passport but I think it is grand that it will happen on Harper's timetable. It will leave a stinging legacy to US-Canadian relations under him.

quote:

After years of relentless prodding by Mexico's Vicente Fox, Bush is fighting for humane legislation to legitimize migrants. That makes as much sense for the U.S. as it does for Mexico.

As Bush acknowledged, Mexicans are doing jobs Americans won't and are sending wages home that help sustain families and a struggling economy. ....

Canada's problems pale in contrast but are still serious. By 2008, everyone crossing the U.S. border will have to carry a passport or a new security document.

I bet money that Harper is so incompetent he won't have it ready in time for 2008.

quote:

Harper's challenge is not to become Bush's new best friend. Instead, he needs to show that a stable, adult relationship produces demonstrable benefits.That didn't happen here, despite Harper's competent international start. The U.S. is about to win its long-standing argument that Canada should abandon endless — if successful — litigation and negotiate a softwood deal. Equally troubling, a tighter border built on the illusion of security is now almost a certainty.

I am betting that Harper ends the litigation and will negotiate a crappy softwood lumber deal.

I also believe on Mr. Harper's schedule we will have the tightest security between the borders ever.

All that while groveling and kissing ass.

Marg Bedore
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9838

posted 01 April 2006 02:18 PM      Profile for Marg Bedore     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Stockwell Day will be in charge of the border security issure
CWW
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9599

posted 01 April 2006 02:21 PM      Profile for CWW     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marg Bedore:

with a little help from JEEEEEZZUSSSS!

From: Edmonton/ Calgary/Nelson | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
JPG
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10478

posted 01 April 2006 02:30 PM      Profile for JPG     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

All the more reason to think it won't be ready in time. If it neccesitates working on Sunday's, he's screwed.

From: Toronto/Ottawa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 01 April 2006 04:34 PM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why would Harper ever risk offending his personal hero George Bush?

It seems to me that Harper's true first allegiance is to the corporate and Christian America and then maybe, maybe if he has time he'll do what he can for uh ... what's the name ... oh yeah Canada yeah that's the word he was looking for.

And these clowns are our government representatives?

From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 01 April 2006 06:04 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by mary123:
Why would Harper ever risk offending his personal hero George Bush?

I don't know if Harper has a hero, but if he does, I doubt it's Bush.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anti-Totalitarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5438

posted 01 April 2006 09:49 PM      Profile for Anti-Totalitarian        Edit/Delete Post
Harper may not have gotten much in the way of concessions during this summit but what did Paul Martin or Jean Chretien ever accomplish in this regard?
From: somewhere in subspace | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 01 April 2006 10:48 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Totalitarian:
Harper may not have gotten much in the way of concessions during this summit but what did Paul Martin or Jean Chretien ever accomplish in this regard?

Nothing. The point is that Harper was selling snake oil when he pretended sucking up to Bush would make a difference.

siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 02 April 2006 12:02 AM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
C'mon people, the boys bonded. What more do you want -- smooooooth sailing all the way from now.

quote:
So what did Harper accomplish during the meeting?

At the very least, it was a low-stress introduction to the world of high-level international meetings, and a chance to build a relationship with Bush. He and Bush seemed to have a cordial, friendly relationship, and agreed they were coming from the same page when it came to core values.

Even Harper acknowledged that he's not exactly one for small talk. In fact, he hinted that he swore during discussions with Bush.

"As some of you may know that sometimes I express myself, believe it or not, not only directly but also colourfully and not suited for public television," Harper told reporters. "We made our points very clearly on several different issues."

CBC

See- core "christian" values and some swearing. Mission Accomplished.

More seriously:

quote:
The three leaders agreed to strengthen the nascent Security and Prosperity Partnership. It's an accord that promotes security issues in the hemisphere, as well as examining ways to make North America more competitive in world markets.

One tangible result of the Cancun summit was the creation of a North American Competitiveness Council, a group of business leaders and government officials.

Also a commitment to cops and robbers and the continued pillaging of the world by the business elite. Members of D'Aquino's CCCE group attended and pushed their agenda. The only mention I heard of this was the CEO of Home Depot who harped on about her stores in Canada, the US and Mexico.

Sure, core values -- core money value$$$.

[ 03 April 2006: Message edited by: siren ]

From: Of course we could have world peace! But where would be the profit in that? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 02 April 2006 12:44 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Siren: "C'mon people, the boys bonded."

So, You're saying they hob-knobbed...?

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 02 April 2006 12:50 AM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Knob gobbled. Whatever.

The point is they got along and nobody threw their little hands in the air and giggled (a la Martin & Bush). Or, that seems to be the media spin on it.

From: Of course we could have world peace! But where would be the profit in that? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
skeptikool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11389

posted 02 April 2006 09:36 PM      Profile for skeptikool        Edit/Delete Post
Passports for all will be a cash cow to government - plus a monumental make-work project.
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 02 April 2006 09:40 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by skeptikool:
Passports for all will be a cash cow to government - plus a monumental make-work project.

I would imagine there are many millions of Americans who never leave the United States.

skeptikool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11389

posted 03 April 2006 05:01 PM      Profile for skeptikool        Edit/Delete Post
With global positioning technology, perhaps chip implants are the way to go rather than passports - if only for the one-time cost.

I don't doubt that Harper and Bush would give support to the idea given their stated stance on crime.

The idea could be sold particularly on its enabling greater security for children. The chips would have been implanted at birth.

Initially, some adults might feel discomfort at the thought of strangers knowing, always, where one was, perhaps what one was doing and with whom.

Makwa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10724

posted 03 April 2006 05:26 PM      Profile for Makwa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Initially, some adults might feel discomfort at the thought of strangers knowing, always, where one was, perhaps what one was doing and with whom.
Ya think?

From: Here at the glass - all the usual problems, the habitual farce | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 April 2006 08:26 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
In his election campaign, Stephen Harper played down his radical views, presenting himself as a moderate mostly interested in restoring honest government. What they didn't know is that he's secretive and arrogant. Another thing Canadians might not have known is that the Prime Minister is bent on refashioning Canada's role in the world, bringing us closer in line with Washington.

Linda McQuaig

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 06 April 2006 02:40 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
With global positioning technology, perhaps chip implants are the way to go rather than passports - if only for the one-time cost.

As proposals go, that one strikes me as very modest.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 06 April 2006 02:42 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reality. Bites.:

I don't know if Harper has a hero, but if he does, I doubt it's Bush.

True. Harper's more the sourpuss Cheney type.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca