babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Standing up for which families? (Harper tax cuts)

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Standing up for which families? (Harper tax cuts)
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 31 March 2006 09:34 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
A new analysis finds that high-income families will receive a disproportionate share of the benefits from the Conservatives' tax-cut promises. According to Standing Up For Which Families? the 5.4 per cent of families earning over $150,000 a year will receive 27.9 per cent of the benefits from the tax cuts modelled in the report — an average of over $2,010. Almost half of Canadian families (48.6 per cent) earn less than $40,000, yet they will receive only 20.3 per cent of the benefits of the tax cuts, an average of just over $163.

Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 31 March 2006 09:54 AM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post
/drift/ This and the "Prayer Doesn't Work" story I posted this ayem makes me think we should have a forum called "Big Surprise" or "This Just In. . ."/end drift/
thorin_bane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6194

posted 31 March 2006 05:42 PM      Profile for thorin_bane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
lol NO crap everytime we turn our head a new lie come to light, I have my "I voted NDP don't blame me" Bumper sticker ready. Yet somehow I still think that most of alberta will still wind up voting tory. But I think this stems from their "I pulled myself up by my boot straps" mentalitly and their province is very well offf right now. Once this oil boom goes south(and we finally implement ecologically friendly tech) They will see things very different. This isn't a flame out albertans, I know there are a lot of progressives, but FPTP kinda killl democracy out there worse than the rest of the country. No representation from any party other than tory gives that perception falsely or not.
From: Looking at the despair of Detroit from across the river! | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
BCseawalker
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8468

posted 31 March 2006 06:05 PM      Profile for BCseawalker        Edit/Delete Post
I found this the most interesting in the CCPA report:

quote:
families with incomes above $150,000 will receive an average of over $660 from this tax cut, while those earning less than $40,000 will receive under $6.

So how is a 1% reduction in the GST helping the families with the greatest need?

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca