babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: labour and consumption.  
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » CAW to leave CLC?

Author Topic: CAW to leave CLC?
robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 30 March 2006 11:40 AM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Blogger Eugene Plawiuk Speculates*

quote:
The CLC is aligned to the NDP as are its affiliates. The only union that isn't is the real heirs of radical Canadian syndicalism is CUPW.

CUPW is one of the most radical unions prepared to back up its demands with the mass strike, wildcats and direct action. Whose president showed what militant leadership is when he went to jail on behalf of his members who staged a strike despite a Federal Government ban.

Something Buzz has never done, gone to jail for the rank and file. And so his syndicalism is that of Gomperism, bread and butter issues, his politics of strategic voting is to reward his friends, the Liberals and NDP while punishing the Conservatives. This is a step backwards politically.

It also allows for right wing locals to become non involved, and really in the CAW was predicated upon the shift to the right by the Oshawa local which under the tutelage of the right supported the Reform party federally.

Something that Buzz avoids talking about.

what do you think?

* Warning - A babbler has complained to me before about getting "pop-ups" from Plawiuk's site. I think its because he uses blogspot.com for hosting. I have never had a problem with it, but I have some fairly good blocking software on my computer. If you are concerned, though, you might not want to follow this link.

stupendousgirlie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11076

posted 30 March 2006 11:45 AM      Profile for stupendousgirlie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I would be very surprised to see the CAW leave the CLC unless they have something up their sleeve like starting a similar organization with similar aims. If they are intent on leaving (and all we have right now is speculation) it would be yet another blow to the labour movement in Canada.
From: Wondering how the left can ever form a national government | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 30 March 2006 12:05 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
unless they have something up their sleeve like starting a similar organization

There are no dues, though; you just have to hug the Liberal leader and give him/her a jacket.

[ 30 March 2006: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ouroboros
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9250

posted 30 March 2006 12:27 PM      Profile for ouroboros     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by robbie_dee:
* Warning - A babbler has complained to me before about getting "pop-ups" from Plawiuk's site. I think its because he uses blogspot.com for hosting. I have never had a problem with it, but I have some fairly good blocking software on my computer. If you are concerned, though, you might not want to follow this link.

Blogspot doesn't have pop ups. He is a part of affiliate program to make cash off of people visting his blog and that's where the pop ups come from.

On the blog itself, I think he's off. He makes it sound like every union in Canada and the CLC is NDP and that's clearly not the case.

Also, with a CAW member in the position of CLC Sec-Tres, I don't see the CAW leaving. If Hassan Yussuff leaves, then I may think something is up but until then I think the CAW is in.

Kenehan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12163

posted 30 March 2006 12:57 PM      Profile for Kenehan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This probably belongs over in labour and consumption.

The biggest problem with our current rift in the labour movement is that it isn't about anything.

In the US there's a big fight that's centrally about how to organize.

Here - we're not even discussing that.

robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 30 March 2006 01:22 PM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenehan:
This probably belongs over in labour and consumption.

Whoops, my mistake. I'll email a mod and ask for it to be moved.

[ 30 March 2006: Message edited by: robbie_dee ]

spindoctor
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 958

posted 30 March 2006 01:37 PM      Profile for spindoctor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Eugene Plawiuk is an idiot.
From: Kingston, Jamaica.....oh alright....Kingston, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 30 March 2006 01:41 PM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
He's also a babbler.
Frustrated Mess
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8312

posted 30 March 2006 02:13 PM      Profile for Frustrated Mess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
CUPW is one of the most radical unions prepared to back up its demands with the mass strike, wildcats and direct action. Whose president showed what militant leadership is when he went to jail on behalf of his members who staged a strike despite a Federal Government ban.

The CAW has enjoyed a legal right to strike since as long as I can remember. The CUPW has only enjoyed a legal right to strike, since, I think, 1981 when Canada Post became a crown corporation.

And even then, the government has introduced back to work legislation.

I think he is comparing strawberries to peach jam.

From: doom without the gloom | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
stupendousgirlie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11076

posted 30 March 2006 02:19 PM      Profile for stupendousgirlie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hmmmm I vaguely remember trying to mail something and the mailbox was taped up back in the 90's at some point.
From: Wondering how the left can ever form a national government | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Frustrated Mess
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8312

posted 30 March 2006 02:25 PM      Profile for Frustrated Mess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And?
From: doom without the gloom | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 30 March 2006 03:52 PM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Although Plawiuk gives us little to go on beyond his own musings, a CAW split from the CLC could make some sense. They've shown no hesitation about pissing off other unions as it is, and if they were freed from the CLC's no-raiding provisions, the CAW would be free to fire away in various jurisdictional squabbles that they are currently wrapped up in.
unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 31 March 2006 02:54 AM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by robbie_dee:
Although Plawiuk gives us little to go on beyond his own musings, a CAW split from the CLC could make some sense. They've shown no hesitation about pissing off other unions as it is, and if they were freed from the CLC's no-raiding provisions, the CAW would be free to fire away in various jurisdictional squabbles that they are currently wrapped up in.

The CAW was expelled from the CLC in 2000 after all those Ontario SEIU members jumped ship. The CAW did not welcome the expulsion as an opportunity to "fire away" at any other unions. Rather, it negotiated a settlement which allowed it to re-enter the Congress in 2001. Given that recent history, I'm not sure what you are basing your reflection upon.

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 31 March 2006 07:28 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm sure the CAW has been expelled more than a couple of times.

When my plant was organized away from the Cooper's Union, the CLC kicked the UAW Canada out for a while.

It's no big deal.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 31 March 2006 08:36 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Is "organized away" a euphemism for "raided"?
unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 31 March 2006 08:42 AM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:
Is "organized away" a euphemism for "raided"?

Yes, those raids usually take place before dawn and involve softening-up by rocket and mortar attacks, after which the plant is over-run by suicide bombers - who then serve tea and biscuits while oganizing a secret government-run ballot. Needless to say, the raided workers never really want to join the CAW, but some as-yet unidentified substances in the biscuits apparently induces them to vote in bizarre ways.

ETA: By the way, when the CAW asked members of the SEIU, who were deeply dissatisfied with their existing union representation, to "Lend the CAW your votes!", it was of course nothing like what the NDP and other parties do during election campaigns to steal votes from other parties. Any such comparison is invidious, unfair, and likely a plot organized and bankrolled by Basil.

[ 31 March 2006: Message edited by: unionist ]

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 31 March 2006 08:46 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Is sarcasm a way to avoid the question?

[ 31 March 2006: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 31 March 2006 08:51 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Moving this to the labour forum...
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca