babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Harper's most Machiavellian move of the week....

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Harper's most Machiavellian move of the week....
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 09 February 2006 10:52 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
http://www.helenaguergis.com/

Guergis Named Parliamentary Secretary for International Trade

Ottawa – Prime Minister Stephen Harper today named Simcoe-Grey MP Helena Guergis as the Parliamentary Secretary for International Trade.

“While discussing possible portfolios with Prime Minister Harper I explained the importance of my riding and how I focus on my constituents,” said Guergis. “Serving as Parliamentary Secretary for International Trade provides me with an opportunity to continue to work on behalf of my constituents and all Canadians.”

Simcoe-Grey has several industries that are affected by International Trade including a strong automotive sector where many of the supplier companies are struggling to compete against emerging markets. Local farmers are similarily having to compete against foreign subsidies that need to be dealt with through the World Trade Organization.

“I am honoured the Prime Minister has asked me to take on such an important role,” said Guergis.

http://www.helenaguergis.com/view-May30_05.htm

They also enticed Belinda Stronach with a cabinet post to cross the floor in the ultimate example of privileged queue jumping. I’m sure many Liberals feel stabbed in the back by their leader after he let the member from Newmarket-Aurora slide straight into cabinet

Simply put, these desperate measures by the Liberal/NDP coalition are ruining the finances of the country. The Liberal/NDP coalition needs to be replaced with an honest and principled Conservative government.

http://www.cbc.ca/ns/story/ns-stoffer20060209.html

The Conservatives put forward their own version of Stoffer's bill last year. It would have required MPs who cross the floor to run in a byelection within a month.

The bill was written and co-sponsored by Conservative MP Helena Guergis, one of many Conservatives who lashed out at Belinda Stronach when she left their party for the Liberals.

A spokesman in her office says there's been no talk of bringing back that bill.

Guergis is now Emerson's parliamentary secretary.

[ 09 February 2006: Message edited by: Screaming Lord Byron ]

deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 09 February 2006 11:09 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There is an expression in French: "clouer le bec à quelqu'un", which means to nail the mouth shut. In this case, silence bought in return for political advantage. Do you think that Harpoon is executing all his sleazy maneuvers now, in the hope that voters will have forgotten his duplicity by the time the next election rolls around?
quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Lord Byron: ... The bill was written and co-sponsored by Conservative MP Helena Guergis, one of many Conservatives who lashed out at Belinda Stronach when she left their party for the Liberals. A spokesman in her office says there's been no talk of bringing back that bill. Guergis is now Emerson's parliamentary secretary.

From: missing in action | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 09 February 2006 11:11 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think there's been a horrible miscalculation - I reckon Harper believed he would have a grace period in which he would be excused for such actions. He was wrong, and it may even be fatal.
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 09 February 2006 11:17 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Lord Byron:
[QBThe bill was written and co-sponsored by Conservative MP Helena Guergis, one of many Conservatives who lashed out at Belinda Stronach when she left their party for the Liberals.

A spokesman in her office says there's been no talk of bringing back that bill.[/QB]

Stronach could always reintroduce it.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 09 February 2006 11:33 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Lord Byron:
I think there's been a horrible miscalculation - I reckon Harper believed he would have a grace period in which he would be excused for such actions. He was wrong, and it may even be fatal.

Sounds about right to me.

It'd be such a shame to see Harper go down to what amounts to be a Joe Clark moment.

Sadly, he'll eventually recover but at least he'll be under the spy glass from day one, not day 100.

From: Vancouver Kingway - Democracy In Peril | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 09 February 2006 11:39 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Quote: Sadly, he'll eventually recover but at least he'll be under the spy glass from day one, not day 100.

This is going to be fun politics, because in the wings we have M. Fortier, then Gordon O'Connor, and who knows what manner of delights Jim Flaherty and Tony Clement will shower upon us? Oh, yeah - let's not forget Stockwell Day and Vic Toews...! Holy cow. This is going to be painful... hope I can keep my sides from splitting. Flaherty, especially, has a look of the ominous about him... cue scary music.

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 09 February 2006 11:46 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Watkins:

Sadly, he'll eventually recover but at least he'll be under the spy glass from day one, not day 100.

Even if this were all that will come to pass over Emerson, Harper's political capital is already fairly seriously depleted. Given his precarious position, and the fact that we are going to have a few months of parliament before the summer, he is now in the position that he cannot afford to take any further risks of this magnitude before the safety of June*. In effect, he's already put himself on probation in his first week on the job. That's achievement.

*Or whenever parliament breaks for the summer.

Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 09 February 2006 11:50 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I hope the note of optimism in the voices of Boom Boom and Screaming Lord Byron bears fruit. Agree with your analysis, but there's always a chance Harper might again enforce the discipline (on himself and others) they had during the campaign.

Although govt is much different than a campaign. Muzzling Ministers is going to be harder than keeping candidates quiet.

From: Vancouver Kingway - Democracy In Peril | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 09 February 2006 11:51 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The National tried to get Con MP's to speak on camera tonight about the Emerson debacle, and aside form one or two, no one wanted to stop and chat - all were clearly embarrassed by the negative attention these stories are generating - Scheiber/Muldoon (Myron Thomson felt the story should be looked into!!!), M. Fortier, and Gordon O'Connor... geez, Harpoon should prorogue Parliament before it even convenes.
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 10 February 2006 12:03 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sneaking and hiding already. What moral titans!
From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 10 February 2006 12:06 AM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Watkins:
I hope the note of optimism in the voices of Boom Boom and Screaming Lord Byron bears fruit.

I am often guilty of over-optimism. I am an Alberta New Democrat, after all.

Still - it's always better to be an optimist in this game.

S1m0n
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11427

posted 10 February 2006 12:58 AM      Profile for S1m0n        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by N.Beltov:
Sneaking and hiding already. What moral titans!

Ha!

But what do you mean "already"? They've been doing for the entire election.

Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 10 February 2006 02:09 AM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealityBites:

Stronach could always reintroduce it.

That would be quite hilarious, I'd appreciate it. It would even have the bonus effect of making the Liberals look bad throughout all of this. It's funny because one of the most vociferous critics of Emerson locally has been Dosanjh.

N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 10 February 2006 08:50 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I understand that Conservative PM Harper has appointed a junior Minister for Francophones that doesn't speak French! Wow. I wonder how Conservative backbenchers would react if they were represented by an M.P. that doesn't speak English!
What heavyweights! What moral titans! What an astonishing new regime! How different they are from the Liberals!

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 10 February 2006 08:55 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
How different they are from the Liberals!

About 50 IQ points.

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 10 February 2006 09:37 AM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by N.Beltov:
How different they are from the Liberals!

I'm pretty sure the Liberals have never started the first scandal of an administration at the swearing in ceremony.

I think you may need to go back to the days of Nero to find an appointment that was so immediately disastrous for a government's image.

Come to think of it, at least Nero had the good taste to appoint an entire horse.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 10 February 2006 09:39 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Come to think of it, at least Nero had the good taste to appoint an entire horse.

ETA: This deserves to be in the Babble Quote Hall of Fame. I'm still giggling.

ETA: after reading Heph's note (next post), I still think RB's line is hilarious, even if the facts get in the way.

[ 10 February 2006: Message edited by: Boom Boom ]

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 10 February 2006 09:48 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

*** Pedant alert ***

Ahhhh..... ackshully, that was Emperor Gaius, better known as "Caligula", who appointed a horse to the Senate, RB.

*** Alert over ***

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
stupendousgirlie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11076

posted 10 February 2006 10:16 AM      Profile for stupendousgirlie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I wouldn't necessarily say fatal, though it's pretty clear he blew his honeymoon period out the window before it even started. Canadians have come to expect this kind of conduct from it's national leaders, while it's probably unethical, it isn't corrupt to entice someone into cabinet.

The thing I am scratching my head on here is that there is no clear logic to this move when you calculate the political risk. So, either Harper completely miscalculated, or, I think it was intended to be payback for Belinda's defection.

From: Wondering how the left can ever form a national government | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 10 February 2006 10:48 AM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The logic according to Harper: Emerson is a very powerful BC business figure. Very powerful.
Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 10 February 2006 11:18 AM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:
Ahhhh..... ackshully, that was Emperor Gaius, better known as "Caligula", who appointed a horse to the Senate, RB.

Darn, you beat me to it. Nero was the one who fiddled with his lyre. Caligula fiddled and lied and said things like "Incitatus buddy, you're doing a heckuva job."

From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
F.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10725

posted 10 February 2006 11:28 AM      Profile for F.     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Flaherty, especially, has a look of the ominous about him

It's more than just a look: his platform during the leadership convention was considered dangerously right-wing by conservatives who stood by Harris during Walkerton and Ipperwash. His own colleagues gave him the nickname "Jackboots" Flaherty.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 10 February 2006 11:56 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
At least he's not the minister for Public Security or the Solicitor General; either would make Main Street heads explode.
Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 10 February 2006 12:03 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No, Stockwell Day is Minister of Public Safety.

Heads exploding 3... 2... 1... NOW

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 10 February 2006 12:23 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yabbut, the full title is "Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness," yes?

So when coastal areas start to flood because of rising sea levels, who better than Stockwell Day to direct the construction of an Ark?

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 10 February 2006 12:38 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Paul Gross
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3576

posted 10 February 2006 08:19 PM      Profile for Paul Gross   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This looks the best thread to mock and discuss Harper's parliamentary secretaries. So let me offer this

quote:
Francophone groups and opposition MPs are raising concerns about an appointment in Stephen Harper's government after learning the parliamentary secretary for la Francophonie doesn't speak French.

Alberta MP Ted Menzies was sworn in on Monday as parliamentary secretary to la Francophonie and Official Languages Minister Josee Verner.

Menzies defends himself by demonstrating, twice (ala Jacob Two Two) that he can count to two.

quote:
But Menzies, who has taken a French immersion course and says he plans to continue learning, brushed off the criticisms.

"We have two official languages in this country. Not just French. Not just English. We have two official languages," said Menzies.

From: central Centretown in central Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 10 February 2006 08:27 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
oh, oh, oh ... you left out the best part!!
quote:
"We have two official languages in this country. Not just French. Not just English. We have two official languages," said Menzies. Who better to represent Canada's two official languages than a minister from Quebec for the French and a parliamentary secretary for the English, he said.
Let me understand this ... Josée Verner speaks & writes French and English, Menzies - English and English. Yup, that would make sense to a "tête carrée".

From: missing in action | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
faith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4348

posted 10 February 2006 08:39 PM      Profile for faith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In one week Canadian Air Farce and This Hour has 22 Minutes has more material for their shows than they could have gleaned from the last 6 months.
Didn't the Conservatives get 10 seats in Quebec? What need was there to appoint a non Francophone to a post dealing with Quebec - none I would think.
I really wonder if Harper truly thought he was going to win government , he seems as unprepared to run the country as the Liberals were to run the last election.

[ 10 February 2006: Message edited by: faith ]

Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 10 February 2006 10:45 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is it true that a Parliamentary Secretary for Women is a man? [Saw it in some blog]

Unfortunately Air Farce and 22 Minutes are off for a couple of weeks until the Olympics are done. I bet Harper is hoping people forget all about this mess. Not that we intend to.

From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul Gross
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3576

posted 10 February 2006 11:31 PM      Profile for Paul Gross   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Contrarian:
Is it true that a Parliamentary Secretary for Women is a man? [Saw it in some blog]

Apparently so. Bev Oda is Minister of Canadian Heritage and Status of Women. http://pm.gc.ca/eng/bio.asp?id=49

James Abbott is her Parliamentary Secretary.
http://pm.gc.ca/eng/new_team_1.asp
His blurb does not mention SoW but no else's does either.

From: central Centretown in central Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 10 February 2006 11:33 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post
Was Harper drinking when he put this cabinet together?
From: Bring back Audra!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 10 February 2006 11:46 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If he wasn't, he should start.
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 10 February 2006 11:46 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Harpoon is demonstrating that he is Da Boss and will do whatever the hell he wants to do, come hell or high water. He's in the driver's seat - who in the Opposition will try to bring his government down so soon? Harpoon has a ticket to ride so long as the Liberals are disorganized, effectively leaderless, and apparently broke. Harpoon and his thugs will ride roughshod over demeocracy as they have with Emerson, Fortier, and all the other stupid Cabinet choices he made.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca