babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Gary Filmon named Chair of Security Intelligence Committee

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Gary Filmon named Chair of Security Intelligence Committee
johnpauljones
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7554

posted 24 June 2005 04:14 PM      Profile for johnpauljones     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Prime Ministers Office in a press release announced that former premier Gary Filman has been named the chair of the Security Intelligence Committee.

The SIRC was created in 1984 and, "provides an external review of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service’s performance of its duties and functions. It also examines complaints by individuals or reports by ministers relating to security clearances and the national security of Canada."

The press release boasts that, Filman's "leadership will help strengthen oversight of Canada's national security."

The committee consists of:
The Hon. Gary Filmon of Winnipeg (Chair)
The Hon. Raymond A. Speaker of Enchant
The hon. Roy Romanow of Saskatoon
The Hon. Baljit S. Chadha of Montreal
The Hon. Aldéa Landry of Moncton

Do you feel safer?

Do you feel that the rights of Canadians are better off?

Will this mean that another Arar will not happen?

[ 24 June 2005: Message edited by: johnpauljones ]

From: City of Toronto | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aristotleded24
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9327

posted 06 July 2005 07:48 PM      Profile for Aristotleded24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yikes! Would Gary Filmon try privatising this agency the same way he did with MTS (and would have done with Hydro had he won in 1999) when he served as Premier of Manitoba?
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 06 July 2005 08:26 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnpauljones:

Do you feel safer?

Not particularly

quote:
Do you feel that the rights of Canadians are better off?

Nope.

quote:
Will this mean that another Arar will not happen?

Certainly not. Paul Cellucci already warned us that it could happen again and while I have no love for the man, I also don't doubt that he was being honest in this case.

And while Paul Martin tried to pretend it was some kind of major victory, the only concession he's gotten, or insisted on apparently, from the Bush administration is that the Canadian government will be kept "in the loop" the next time American officials decide to send one of our citizens abroad to be tortured questioned aggressively.

SIRC has nothing to do with that.

Edited several times for silly things. I'm out of practice.

[ 06 July 2005: Message edited by: pogge ]

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 06 July 2005 09:55 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm guessing that his main qualification is either (a) the amazing ability to avoid charges while most of his closest colleagues are being arrested, or (b) the amazing ability to be completely unaware of criminal activity all around him.
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 06 July 2005 09:57 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm guessing that his main qualification is either (a) the amazing ability to avoid charges while most of his closest colleagues are being arrested, or (b) the amazing ability to be completely unaware of criminal activity all around him.

Edited to add: OOPS... I mistakenly posted the qualifications of GRANT DEVINE. The preceding has nothing whatsoever to do with Gary Filmon.

Never mind. *slinks away*

[ 07 July 2005: Message edited by: Albireo ]

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 06 July 2005 10:09 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnpauljones:
The Hon. Raymond A. Speaker of Enchant

"Speaker of Enchant"???

*suspiciously*

Sounds like an Adept of the Ancient Majiks, to me...

*rubbing jaw*

Or is "Enchant" some sort of suburb of The Emerald City???

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca