babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Gomery is boring!!!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Gomery is boring!!!
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 04 April 2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think that the whole adscam/Gomery commission thing will do relatively little damage to the Liberals outside of Quebec (where the damage has already been done and the liberals don't have much to lose)- why? Because as far as political scandals go, i think most people in English canada find this very boring and hard to follow. Its like the Clintons and Whitewater - no one could understand it! (the fact that those charges were all trumped didn't help either). I'm someone who follows politics very closely and i find that skip over the Gomery stuff in then paper because it is so mind numbingly dull. For a political scandal to really have "legs" you need to have a few of the following: sex, Mafia hitmen, drug use, bribery on a grand scale, murder, theft, large sums going directly into the pockets of current political leaders etc... otherwise who cares?
spatrioter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2299

posted 04 April 2005 01:00 PM      Profile for spatrioter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
But I think the publication ban just gave the scandal the excitement it needed to become scandalous. People are now wondering what's so secretive that there needs to be a publication ban around it. If there had been no ban, no one would care about the latest testimony.
From: Trinity-Spadina | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mush
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3934

posted 04 April 2005 01:03 PM      Profile for Mush     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So Gomery himself implsed the ban to keep the scandal alive and to continue his attack on the Liberals?

Yeah, I'd go with that.

From: Mrs. Fabro's Tiny Town | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dex
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6764

posted 04 April 2005 01:06 PM      Profile for Dex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Stockholm,
I'm with you on that. I mean, wasn't the HRDC scandal more than tenfold the size of Adscam? And the Canadian public didn't seem to give a hoot about that. Besides, part of me thinks that, deep down, a sizable portion of english Canada sort of sympathizes with Chretien et al and feels that their hearts were in the right place. The one thing that makes this scandal more significant is the confluence of a minority government and the timing of the inquiry. If we were in a stable majority, this scandal would just be swept under the rug with the rest of the scandals.

There is something very OJ-esque about this whole Gomery thing. I poked around at the various blogs and such and it's much ado about nothing. It's all just hints and innuendo and such. Pretty much nothing substantive. It's like the mainstream media, bloggers, and discussion fora have created a separate beast, whose sole purpose is generate and re-generate hype to feed itself. I belong to an American political forum and the same thing happens every couple of months or so about this potential scandal or that potential scandal. Each time, there are promises that the scandal will spell the end of this party or that party, or of politics as we know it.

And yet, political life seems to just keep on keepin' on.

Edited to clarify the object of my reply.

[ 04 April 2005: Message edited by: Dex ]

From: ON then AB then IN now KS. Oh, how I long for a more lefterly location. | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 04 April 2005 01:38 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Unless Gomery uncovers some sex - most people won't care. This is a dull accvounting scandal it just isn't enough to titillate the public.
spatrioter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2299

posted 04 April 2005 01:39 PM      Profile for spatrioter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Considering the major players in this scandal, I think we're all grateful that there's no sex involved.
From: Trinity-Spadina | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 04 April 2005 01:42 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stockholm:
Unless Gomery uncovers some sex - most people won't care. This is a dull accvounting scandal it just isn't enough to titillate the public.

How about this....

Gomery Inquiry Hears Testimony Linking Sponsorship Money to Possible Alien Invasion?

Or

Sponsorship Money Used to Build Bondage Club for Judges and Cabinet Ministers

???

Any more suggestions?

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 04 April 2005 01:43 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, think about Quebec, Stockholm. What happens in Ontario if polling in Quebec shows the Libs being shut out? Do they stay Lib? Do they go to the Cons to counteract the Bloc? Do they go NDP for fear of a Con majority?

This affects all of us.

From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leuca
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6495

posted 04 April 2005 02:17 PM      Profile for Leuca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Surely some of them will go Conservative as Quebecers will certainly want representation in the governing caucus as well as cabinet. Quebecers are no fools.
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 04 April 2005 02:19 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If the Conservatives take more than one seat, by hair, I will be thouroughly surprised.
From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 04 April 2005 02:21 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
No, but those who think they're going to vote Conservative are.
From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 04 April 2005 02:55 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This will make Gomery seem more interesting:

Liberals want RCMP sponsorship probe
CTV.ca News Staff

The Liberal Party of Canada has asked the RCMP to investigate the possibility the party was a victim of fraud in the sponsorship scandal.

Liberal party lawyer Doug Mitchell made the announcement Monday at the Gomery inquiry, just three days after former Groupaction advertising executive Jean Brault was said to have delivered "explosive" testimony.

"I have been directed by my clients to contact the RCMP to ask that they investigate the possibility that the party itself may have been the target of fraud or other harmful acts by certain individuals,'' Mitchell told reporters.

"Using inappropriate means to gain undeserved benefit ... is, if proven to be true, criminal action, plain and simple.''

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Noelle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5479

posted 04 April 2005 03:03 PM      Profile for Noelle     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The Liberal Party of Canada has asked the RCMP to investigate the possibility the party was a victim of fraud in the sponsorship scandal.

Nah, still boring, but it does add some humour.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 04 April 2005 03:07 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 04 April 2005 03:29 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Just thought I'd note:

We have Gomery threads here,

here,

here,

here,

here,

and here, just closed,

plus I think there's another floating about somewhere.

Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 04 April 2005 04:06 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Well, think about Quebec, Stockholm. What happens in Ontario if polling in Quebec shows the Libs being shut out? Do they stay Lib? Do they go to the Cons to counteract the Bloc? Do they go NDP for fear of a Con majority?

We have already been down that road. In the final stages of the 2004 election campaign every poll showed the Liberals about to get thoroughly thrashed in Quebec and reduced to only the non-francophone ridings - Ontarians reacted by swinging back to the Liberals!

Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 04 April 2005 04:32 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I realize that, Stockhom. I'm going on the worst case scenario for the Libs (which is of course nowhere near certain to come to pass).
James
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5341

posted 04 April 2005 04:48 PM      Profile for James        Edit/Delete Post
"Liberal party lawyer Doug Mitchell" - why is that name ringing such a bell ? I'm thinking some other high profile commission ? Anybody recall ?

I'd research it myself, but I'm stuck in the boonies for a few days with a dial-up that operates at about 17k, and it's driving me nuts.

Hawkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3306

posted 04 April 2005 04:53 PM      Profile for Hawkins     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is the slowest explosion ever.

Could we at least get some TNT? Even a little cherry bomb so we could at least hear a "pop"?

From: Burlington Ont | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 04 April 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, let's do this in one of the other threads that skdadl linked to.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca