babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Rummy scared of German war crime charge, may skip meeting

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Rummy scared of German war crime charge, may skip meeting
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 06 February 2005 04:07 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Rumsfeld Debating Whether to Avoid Germany

quote:
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Donald
Rumsfeld said on Thursday he has not decided whether to attend an international security conference next week in Germany, where he might be subject to arrest on a war-crimes complaint.

"I have not made a final decision on that (attendance). And there are several factors," Rumsfeld told reporters when asked if he would go to the prestigious annual private Munich Conference on Security Policy Feb. 12-13 when he is in Europe next week.

He conceded in response to questions at a press conference that one problem was the jurisdiction of a German court over a 160-page criminal complaint filed Nov. 30 with the federal prosecutor's office in Germany accusing him of war crimes in connection with detainee abuse at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

That complaint was brought by the New York-based Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR), a group of lawyers representing Iraqis who say they were mistreated by U.S. forces at the Baghdad prison.

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
TeamNeedles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8126

posted 06 February 2005 01:06 PM      Profile for TeamNeedles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This bunch (the Bush Administration) is just unbeleiveable. Whenever you thik "That's the lowest they'll sink" somebody gets charged with war crimes...
From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 06 February 2005 01:39 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ha!! Don't I wish. That will never happen. Look at the fawning and scared people all over the world.

I can't remember a time in my life when negative Bush comments are actually whispered to each other for fear of being caught and something nasty done to you. Yes its true, even here in Toronto. Speaking about Bush in anything above a whisper gets you 'shhh....keep your voice down' and if that isn't scary, I don't know what is.

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Vicious
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8102

posted 06 February 2005 10:02 PM      Profile for The Vicious     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It would be a sad thing if he was not persecuted, confirming everyone fears the US to much to see any justice done.
From: Calgary, wishing I was back in Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca