babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » NDP member Svend Robinson accused Reform of being homophobic.

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: NDP member Svend Robinson accused Reform of being homophobic.
Kingsly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7712

posted 04 February 2005 12:40 AM      Profile for Kingsly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ottawa nixes same-sex marriage
Last Updated Wed Jun 9 08:12:14 1999

OTTAWA - In Canada, marriage is the union of a man and a woman. And it will stay that way, after the federal Liberals made the rare move of supporting an Opposition motion Tuesday night.

Justice Minister Anne McLellan lead the Liberal move to back the Reform Party motion, which called on Parliament ''to take all necessary steps to preserve this definition of marriage.''

The motion passed 216 to 55.

McLellan said the Liberals will retain the current definition as laws are amended to comply with recent court decisions expanding the rights of same-sex couples.

"The definition of marriage is already clear in law," she said during debate. "This government has no intention of changing the definition of marriage or legislating same-sex marriage.

"I fundamentally do not believe that it's necessary to change the definition of marriage to accommodate the equality issues around same-sex partners that now face us as Canadians."

Earlier Tuesday, NDP member Svend Robinson accused Reform of being homophobic.

216 to 55

And sven had the nerve to blame the reform

[ 04 February 2005: Message edited by: Kingsly ]

Maxx
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4819

posted 04 February 2005 12:51 AM      Profile for Maxx     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Can't you keep your anti-gay musings in ONE thread?

Geeez, will someone please ban that troll already....

[ 04 February 2005: Message edited by: Maxx ]

From: Don't blame me... I voted Liberal. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 04 February 2005 11:15 AM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Okay!
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca