babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » bottom feeding knuckle dragging Neanderthal flips out

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: bottom feeding knuckle dragging Neanderthal flips out
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 03 February 2005 06:27 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Don Newman's _Politics_ is great!

Tonight: Dearly beloved Craig Chandler in Alberta is campaigning to remove Jim Prentice and Belinda Stronach from the Conservatives for their support of SSM. There's a work-in-progress website at: www.removejimprentice.com.

IIRC, adorable and lovable Craig Chandler was in the CPC leadership race but withdrew to place his support for Jim Prentice on the basis of Jim's family values, now by supporting ssm, Chandler feels he's been knifed in the back.

On a different tangent altogether, in New Brunswick, former PC's in the new Conservative Party feel they're being screwed by Alliance members at national HQ.

The Conservative guy on 'Politics' said the NB scuffle was the only mishap in 200 riding nomination meetings so far for the policy convention in Montreal. However, I think he's just putting the best face on this. I suspect the Montreal convention might be a tad divisive. I'd love to see the Progressive Conservatives secede from the CPC and form a new party called _The Red Tories_ and go neck-to-neck against the Alliance Coservatives.

[ 03 February 2005: Message edited by: Boom Boom ]

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4328

posted 03 February 2005 06:28 PM      Profile for Shane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ah. We both saw it.
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 03 February 2005 06:30 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Craig Chandler is a fat useless dilletante turd who should go back to sucking at the teat of his parent's bank account.

From this Conservative: Fuck You Craig.

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 03 February 2005 06:31 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I look forward to watching it here.
From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4328

posted 03 February 2005 06:31 PM      Profile for Shane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It should be made clear -- this is not social conservatives in general that are flipping out, it's Craig Chandler's 'Concerned Christians' organization.

From what I have heard, all Conservative MPs have been very respectful of the views of CPC MPs who intend to support the SSM legislation, and recognize that social issues are not what unites this party.

Edited to add: He also noted his displeasure with Stephen Harper's 'waffling and dithering' on the SSM issue.

[ 03 February 2005: Message edited by: Shane ]

Shane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4328

posted 03 February 2005 06:32 PM      Profile for Shane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd:
Craig Chandler is a fat useless dilletante turd who should go back to sucking at the teat of his parent's bank account.

From this Conservative: Fuck You Craig.

Totally agree Heywood.

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 03 February 2005 06:35 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I thought a wedge issue was supposed to split the other party, not your own.
From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 03 February 2005 06:37 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Holy fuck. I'm so mad right now I can't see straight.

This useless goatfuck with jowels that look like a colostomy bag has tried to get elected I don't know how many times, moved against the CPC, the CA, the PCPC, and the RPC when they weren't RIGHT FUCKING WING enough for him.

AAgfh. Lost for words.

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 03 February 2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boom Boom:
This fat bastard was in the leadership race but withdrew to place his support for Jim Prentice on the basis of Jim's family values, now by supporting ssm, Chandler feels he's been knifed in the back.

Well, to be fair to Prentice, it's not like he signed a binding written agreement with Chandler.

IIRC, Prentice wouldn't even shake hands with or acknowledge Chandler after CC released his delegates (both of them). As Scott Brison commented at the time, "That was the best endorsement I never received."

Earlier in Craig's political career (when he still lived in Burlington and was running for Reform in the 1993 election), he and a fellow Reform candidate were "a big hit" at a region-wide (multi-riding) all-candidates meeting. When Chandler couldn't manage to talk over his female NDP opponent, his colleague (whose name escapes me) yelled out "Hit her, Craig!".

[ 03 February 2005: Message edited by: Scott Piatkowski ]

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4328

posted 03 February 2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Shane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

This useless goatfuck with jowels that look like a colostomy bag has tried to get elected I don't know how many times, moved against the CPC, the CA, the PCPC, and the RPC when they weren't RIGHT FUCKING WING enough for him.

AAgfh. Lost for words.

I think it could be summed up quite succinctly:

Criag Chandler is a fucking moron. Period.

Shane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4328

posted 03 February 2005 06:40 PM      Profile for Shane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
When Chandler couldn't manage to talk over his female NDP opponent, his colleague (whose name escapes me) yelled out "Hit her, Craig!".

Oh Christ. Now why doesn't that surprise me?

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 03 February 2005 06:47 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Whenever his name comes up at any conservative event that I've been at, it's met with a round of .
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 03 February 2005 06:57 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by pogge:

Stephen Harper is reaping what he has sown. No tears from ME!!!

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 03 February 2005 07:01 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I changed the heading of this thread to be more accurate.
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 03 February 2005 07:41 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
Prentice was ALWAYS in favour of same-sex marriage. It was no secret during the PC leadership race.
From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 03 February 2005 07:45 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Isn't it typical, though, of Harper's crowd that they can't tell one end of a wedge from the other.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 February 2005 07:55 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

AAgfh. Lost for words.

Haha! Doesn't sound like a loss for words to me. That cracked me right up!

Okay...looking at a screen all day...gotta rest the eyes. I just couldn't resist reading this thread.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 03 February 2005 08:15 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
Speaking of Calgary-based knuckle-dragging-Neanderthals, an Ontario priest has BLASTED Fred Henry!

The Lifesite nitwits were trying to cause trouble for (Catholic) International Cooperation Minister Aileen Carroll and called her parish priest. He gave them an earful!

"Aileen Carrol is a member in good standing of this parish," he said.

quote:
LifeSiteNews.com mentioned the Vatican direction on same-sex unions and that Calgary Bishop Fred Henry had explicitly taken issue with references to Prime Minister Paul Martin as a 'devout Catholic,' disregarding the PM's un-Catholic support for homosexual 'marriage.' Rev. McDevitt retorted, "Quoting one reactionary bishop out in Calgary who wants to spew off about everything under the sun because he's a short man who needs to get lots of press - that's not the basis of how the church works in Canada."

Fr. McDevitt also seemed very upset with one or more members of the parish Knights of Columbus who had apparently been asking questions about Carroll's role in the parish considering her serious contradiction of Catholic moral teachings. LifeSiteNews.com has received unconfirmed reports that Carroll is a lector at the parish.

The pastor was emphatic that he be quoted saying that he considered the Knight or Knights in question to be "shit disturbers." He told LifeSiteNews.com, "They are a shit disturber, did you get that down, did you get the quote properly, they are a shit disturber."

While Fr. McDevitt says Carroll, despite her public positions on abortion and same-sex 'marriage', is in good standing, he is "appalled" at "a certain element floating around this parish that wants to demonize her." He added, "We're not going to take Aileen Carroll out of the 5 o'clock mass and burn her in the parking lot."

Asked if he himself had encouraged the Minister to vote against the legislation, (as the Bishops of Canada have requested of all Catholics), Rev. McDevitt was incensed. "You are asking a pastor to ask about a relationship with his parishioner. I think that's grossly inappropriate, even the Toronto Star wouldn't ask me that. Honestly, the Toronto star wouldn't ask . . . they would know that's way beyond boundaries."

Asked again for his position, the pastor ended the interview saying, "Read the bulletin this weekend and you'll see where I stand."

Shane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4328

posted 03 February 2005 08:19 PM      Profile for Shane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealityBites:
Prentice was ALWAYS in favour of same-sex marriage. It was no secret during the PC leadership race.

Yeah really, and here he was saying he was 'embarrassed' because he "never would have endorsed [Prentice] if he had voiced his support for same-sex marriage".

What an idiot.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 03 February 2005 08:23 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh, RB, I *wish* I could get a copy of the Pastor's bulletin this weekend! Would love to see where he stands, although judging by his comments, I have an idea.

I wish *all* clergy were as feisty as him.

Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 03 February 2005 08:46 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No bishopric for him!
quote:
...Quoting one reactionary bishop out in Calgary who wants to spew off about everything under the sun because he's a short man who needs to get lots of press...
Funniest thing I've read today.

From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
the grey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3604

posted 03 February 2005 08:55 PM      Profile for the grey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by dokidoki:
I look forward to watching it here.

Aaargh. Why did they upload the morning edition in the afternoon edition slot!

From: London, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 04 February 2005 01:15 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
There's a work-in-progress website at: www.removejimprentice.com

Chandler needs to learn something about how traffic signs work. The octagon means "stop". The slash through something means "prohibited". In other words, this little logo means: "Don't stop Jim Prentice" or "No stopping Jim Prentice".

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 04 February 2005 01:17 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by andrewtgsadler:

They've corrected it. You can see the whole horror show on the Newsworld site now (click on "Thursday pm").

[ 04 February 2005: Message edited by: Scott Piatkowski ]

kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 04 February 2005 01:34 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by andrewtgsadler:

I know! That was so annoying! It's like they purposedly avoided putting up the interview that was actually talked about!

Edited: Thanks, Scott!

[ 04 February 2005: Message edited by: dokidoki ]

From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 04 February 2005 01:35 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What a friggin tool. I can't wait to see him at the convention so I can call him a douchebag schmuckwad to his face.
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 04 February 2005 01:39 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Let me know if you need protection.
thorin_bane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6194

posted 04 February 2005 01:46 PM      Profile for thorin_bane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I didn't like the Fr comment about henry's height that is a bigoted attitude but most people don't look at height as a discriminatory issue. But he was dead on, as far as everything else. I was confirmed by bishop henry where he told us don't let anyone every tell you that your not special and important to god. Well I guess that doesn't apply to all you gay people. What an asshole!
From: Looking at the despair of Detroit from across the river! | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 04 February 2005 01:48 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Let me know if you need protection.

Heh. No, not gonna need it. But thanks for the offer.

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 04 February 2005 01:53 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Since you've compared him to a colostomy bag, your protection should probably be latex gloves.

And, Heywood, you might want to check your Private Messages.

unmaladroit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7325

posted 04 February 2005 02:01 PM      Profile for unmaladroit        Edit/Delete Post
chandler accuses prentice of flip-flopping 3 times in the short interview, and praises bush for standing firm on his beliefs.

looks like he has taken notes from the republican campaign of 2004. bold faced lying and deception.

also: "we're not progressive conservatives, we're conservatives". (read - there's nothing progressive about us, and we're going to keep it this way.)

From: suspicionville, bc | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 04 February 2005 02:06 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Piatkowski:
Since you've compared him to a colostomy bag, your protection should probably be latex gloves.

And, Heywood, you might want to check your Private Messages.

Nope. A firehose. That'll clean up nicely.

Checked.

canadianpatriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4556

posted 04 February 2005 04:41 PM      Profile for canadianpatriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Just saw the clip. he looks drunk, ha!
What an Asshole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From: National Capital | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 04 February 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
To quote John_D (talking about someone else), but very appropriate for Chandler:

...and you are a grade-A, USDA approved cut of premium marbled asshole, lightly seared over an asshole grill and smothered in asshole mushrooms and a light asshole sauce. On your most annoying days you come with baked asshole and sour cream, and your choice of desert from the asshole tray. Try the asshole creme cheesecake, it comes with assholes!

Draco
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4885

posted 04 February 2005 09:35 PM      Profile for Draco     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealityBites:
Speaking of Calgary-based knuckle-dragging-Neanderthals, an Ontario priest has BLASTED Fred Henry!

The Lifesite nitwits were trying to cause trouble for (Catholic) International Cooperation Minister Aileen Carroll and called her parish priest. He gave them an earful!

That's one of the funniest articles I've read in a while. Their arms must be tired over at Lifesite from casting all those stones.

From: Wild Rose Country | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
TeamNeedles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8126

posted 04 February 2005 11:37 PM      Profile for TeamNeedles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm not surprised be wants Stronach out. If Chandler had his way, based on how he seems to think, Belinda wouldn't have been allowed to vote for herself.
From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 05 February 2005 08:37 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
I say again, this is the *very* type of person Harper's little ad campaign was aimed at. Why is anyone so shocked and/or surprised that it is receiving a response?

I should think Lil' Stevie Wonder would be right pleased by how well this is all working out for him!

And it's garnering the party so much publicity, too!

Guêpe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4757

posted 05 February 2005 10:07 AM      Profile for Guêpe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
the best part of Chandlers campaign is that that Craig camnpaigned to "bring the family together" - "two cards" - he campaigned on a platform of broadening the tent....and now this....how amusing.
kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 05 February 2005 10:19 AM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I also found it strange that Chandler seemed to know where all the gay people live in Calgary with such confidence.
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 05 February 2005 10:38 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think it is courageous for Prentice to take the stand supporting the ssm bill especially in such a conservative party (I knew a while ago that dropping the "progressive" out of the CPC name would be telling). Chandler suggested Prentice would be more at home with the Liberals - not a bad idea on the face of it, but I'd hope Prentice stays and becomes the face of moderation in the CPC. However, realistically, the CPC probably is beyond salvaging at this point. I'd like to see it split and a new 'Red Tory' party emerge. I guess we'll be ice-skating on the surface of Hell before that happens.
kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 05 February 2005 10:44 AM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I always imagined it happening with the so-cons getting too demanding, the Cons dovetailing in an election, and then the more normal Conservatives purging out the extremists. Then the extremists would start some short-lived theocratic-fascist party that dies out quickly due to lack of popular appeal and fighting between all those "colourful characters". I don't think Stephen Harper is managing his factions very well at all, just from looking at the news coverage. But maybe I'm being too optimistic here.
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 05 February 2005 10:56 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I guess we'll be ice-skating on the surface of Hell before that happens.

Lace up them skates!

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 05 February 2005 12:00 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

LOL! I remember seeing this sign a long time ago, but can't place it. Which province or state is it in?

[ 05 February 2005: Message edited by: Boom Boom ]

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 05 February 2005 12:38 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
dunno... you got me!
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 05 February 2005 12:51 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hell, Pennsylvania. I just remembered.
Leuca
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6495

posted 05 February 2005 12:53 PM      Profile for Leuca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
(I knew a while ago that dropping the "progressive" out of the CPC name would be telling)

Do you even know how the word progressive came to be in the name of the PC Party in the first place?

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 05 February 2005 01:04 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No, but I'm sure you'll tell me!
Leuca
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6495

posted 05 February 2005 01:11 PM      Profile for Leuca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I forget too, I was hoping you knew.
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 05 February 2005 01:13 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh, dear, that made me laugh. Does anyone know the origin of "progressive" in Progressive Conservative? I always thought "progressive conservative" was an oxymoron.
kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 05 February 2005 01:20 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There was, at the beginning of this century a mostly west-based party called the Progressives. If I remember my history correctly, they were very in favour of total free trade with the US, somewhat populist in orientation and critical of federal policies re: grain trade. As the economic conditions that caused this party to form changed (and the federal government made some concessions for grain freight? this is sketchy), they lost ascendancy and merged with the Conservatives, producing the oxymoron party we knew.

A western populist party starting out strong, lagging and then joining the
Tories? Sounds a little familiar, eh?

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 05 February 2005 01:24 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks for filling in a somewhat arcane part of Canadian history that I completely forgot. Good to know. Will history be repeated?
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 05 February 2005 01:30 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
Close but no cigar. In fact they never merged with the Conservatives and most joined the Liberals.

John Bracken, the Progressive premier of Manitove (who'd formed a coalition with the Liberals) was asked to take over the leadership of the federal Conservatives, which he agreed to do in 1942 provided they change their name to Progressive Conservative.

The Progressives themselves were no longer a force in federal politics by 1935, although they did field candidates against the PC party.

For more on the confusing history of the Progressive party, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_Party_of_Canada

[ 05 February 2005: Message edited by: RealityBites ]

kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 05 February 2005 02:06 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, knock me over with a feather. I guess that's the legacy of a curriculum that focuses almost totally on the actions of leaders. Thanks, RB.
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 05 February 2005 02:10 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks from here, too. Have to remember to just do a google to find out this stuff. I don't smoke so losing the cigar is no big deal.
thorin_bane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6194

posted 05 February 2005 02:29 PM      Profile for thorin_bane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm 29 but remember learning that in canadian history class. I think the cons where mostly family compact people. I don't remember been about 15 years since I took it.
From: Looking at the despair of Detroit from across the river! | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 05 February 2005 02:33 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I don't smoke so losing the cigar is no big deal.

Sometimes a cigar is more than a cigar.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 05 February 2005 05:30 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
LOL! Yes, can never think of cigars now without Bill Clinton invading my brain. Arrggghhhh. I thank God I gave up smoking 35+ years ago.
Shane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4328

posted 05 February 2005 06:21 PM      Profile for Shane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Oh, dear, that made me laugh. Does anyone know the origin of "progressive" in Progressive Conservative? I always thought "progressive conservative" was an oxymoron.

It's very Canadian. I like it.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 05 February 2005 06:56 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Right up there with "socially conservative liberal"

Ox-y and moronic

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 06 February 2005 08:46 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
RB's wiki reference is correct, but it's also correct to say that the name came to symbolize the fiscally conservative / socially progressive image of people like Flora McDonald and Joe Clark. And, after the invention of the Reform Party and CCRAP, it was used to emphasize the idea that the PCs weren't like them rednecks. Thus, dropping the P from PC was far more than symbolic.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 February 2005 10:28 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The best part of the interview with Craig Chandler and Don Newman. Newman must have just thought, YES! when Chandler left himself open for this zinger:

quote:
Newman: So this is personal for you as well, Craig, that you feel he made you look like a dope in June of 2003?

Chandler: The key word is "as well" - this is not just personal, it's about issues. We're going to go after Belinda Stronach in Ontario too. We've already been organizing quietly there, and we're going to be doing it against Jim, we're going to go against anyone else who votes that way.

HA! Gee, so much for organizing "quietly" against Stronach! So quietly that he just announced it on national television! What an idiot.

And does he REALLY think that people in Newmarket and Aurora, even the ones who vote Conservative, will really put up with them pushing a respected member of their community like Stronach out in favour of some dumbfuck social conservative hick that Chandler would approve of? This is a semi-rural suburb of the Greater Toronto Area! You know, where people are fiscally neo-cons and socially, if not necessarily progressive, then at least not really overly concerned with the issue one way or another - certainly not enough to want a sophisticated representative like Stronach replaced by some fundy neo-con evolution-denying mouth-breathing idiot!

The guy is dreaming in technicolour.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the grey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3604

posted 06 February 2005 11:14 PM      Profile for the grey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
The guy is dreaming in technicolour.

The more time Chandler spends on TV, the less seats Harper wins in the next election. He's the best present the Liberals could ask for.

From: London, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 06 February 2005 11:18 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Chandler is full of himself, has big-head syndrome, and giving him airtime pushes his ego, but he isn't bright enough to think fast when he's being manipulated as he was by Newman. I thought it was great for Newman to get Chandler to say they're going quietly after Stronach - on national television! Had a good chuckle at that. I think one outcome of this interview is to show the CPC that they have to be really, really careful about who they accept support from. I think the CPC will cut the strings (if any) between them and Chandler quick after this disastrous interview. Otherwise people's darkest fears about the CPC will be seen to be true.
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 07 February 2005 12:47 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Chandler should be expelled from the party forthwith.
From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 07 February 2005 12:53 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ain't gonna happen. Chandler likely represents much of the CPC. Harper's best move is to formally disassociate with him. Harper will do well to remember the ultraright's outrageous characterization of Martin near the end of the campaign cost them the election.
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 07 February 2005 01:01 AM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not a friggin chance he represents the majority of the CPC. If you want proof, dig around the net and see how many people are supporting him over his interview.

To save you time, I'll give you the answer: No-one.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 07 February 2005 01:37 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Not a friggin chance he represents the majority of the CPC. If you want proof, dig around the net and see how many people are supporting him over his interview.

To save you time, I'll give you the answer: No-one.

Now, are you talking about MPs here, HF? Or do you mean members, too? Or are you referring to anyone who votes CPC and supports them?

'Coz let's be fair. Craig Chandler represents just the type of person Harper was trolling for (in the "fishing" sense) with those offensive fucking ads.

WHY are you people so shocked that ads to seek to rile up the bigots have the result of riling up the bigots? Harper asked for this, and he got it, both barrells. Craig Chandler is not the person you should be screaming at. Harper is.

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 07 February 2005 01:38 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well I certainly hope that Heywood is right... cause if the majority of the party is like Chandler...

... I'd have to admit that Joe Clark was right.

[ 07 February 2005: Message edited by: Gir Draxon ]

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 07 February 2005 01:42 AM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
La La La.

La La La.

I can't hear you Gir.

but..even if I could hear you, I'd really, and I mean really, hate to admit that too.

Heph, I meant the members at large.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 07 February 2005 01:44 AM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
WHY are you people so shocked that ads to seek to rile up the bigots have the result of riling up the bigots? Harper asked for this, and he got it, both barrells. Craig Chandler is not the person you should be screaming at. Harper is.

The whole situation may have the opposite effect that Chandler et al are looking for. Very few CPC members want to be in any way associated with Chandler so it may have the effect of silencing some opposition to SSM.

Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 07 February 2005 01:48 AM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well of course there's a signifigant part of the Conservative Party that agree's with Craig Chandler -- or is at least in the same ideological space as him. It's debateble how big it is, and when the Conservatives are more sucessful they don't emphasize these folks. And if they want to win re-election they focus on other issues (ie: Mulroney 1988).

But if they where to just get rid of the Craig Chandler's the Christian Heritage Party might actuallly break 5% next election. So Harper is trying to not alienate these people that are an important part of his base while going after more moderate votes that will actually get him into office. Hence his continual instance that most Canadians are where he is re: SSM. While it's unlikely to succed -- he's going to try to balance the two. Hmm this sounds Liberal too me -- the balancing of both sides where the only diffrence is the lack of electoral sucess.

Oh yeah this guy is a twit. It's funny how he thinks a Bushlike position will go over in Canada. Oh yeah it will go over, like a lead baloon. Therefore I hope the Conservative Party adopts this position, all the better to make the NDP the only reasonable alternative to the Liberals.

[ 07 February 2005: Message edited by: Vansterdam Kid ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca