babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » "Letter to Zell Miller: 'You Have Betrayed our Trust' "

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: "Letter to Zell Miller: 'You Have Betrayed our Trust' "
Crimson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6788

posted 11 September 2004 11:39 PM      Profile for Crimson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Open letter to Zell Miller from Jimmy Carter
quote:
You seem to have forgotten that loyal Democrats elected you as mayor [of Young Harris] and as state senator. Loyal Democrats, including members of my family and me, elected you as state senator, lieutenant governor and governor. It was a loyal Democrat, Lester Maddox, who assigned you to high positions in the state government when you were out of office... Other Democrats, because of philosophical differences or the race issue, like Bo Callaway and Strom Thurmond, at least had the decency to become Republicans.

Perhaps this doesn't strike as much of a chord in other members here as it does with me due to geography...but, I was rather impressed and a little shocked to see Carter come forward with such a strong reaction. Not to say that Miller doesn't deserve this (and more), but Jimmy Carter is generally much more reserved.

Miller knew that he was playing into the "us vs. them" mentality that has already jaded so much of the American public (IMO), and I'm glad to see one of the historically rational voices of the Dem party take him to task.

ShyViolet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6611

posted 12 September 2004 12:47 AM      Profile for ShyViolet     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
zell miller is a traitor...i was apalled by his speech.
From: ~Love is like pi: natural, irrational, and very important~ | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Reverend Blair
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6377

posted 12 September 2004 12:55 AM      Profile for Reverend Blair   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jimmy Carter is a hell of a statesman. The US needs a few more like him. They could do with many less like Zell.
Baldfresh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5864

posted 12 September 2004 12:58 AM      Profile for Baldfresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Palpatine was a senator, too.

(btw, I'm not the source for this; credit goes to The Decadent West blog)

[ 12 September 2004: Message edited by: Baldfresh ]

From: to here knows when | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 12 September 2004 12:59 AM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post

From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crimson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6788

posted 12 September 2004 01:08 AM      Profile for Crimson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Come to the dark side, Zell".

Oops...already there. And yes, Carter is one helluva statesman! It's a truly sad quandry when the main reason an official is not re-elected to office is due to his integrity.

Alas, America seems hell bent on electing celebrities over actual politicians. Shrub was just as much a celebrity as JFK JR. prior to *attempting* a career in politics (and succeeding due to his celebrity status), and now Miller has joined those ranks with his ridiculous (albeit, unintentional) impersonation of Jerry Springer at the RNC! Sorry for the run-on sentence. Sometimes the sieve between my brain and my keyboard doesn't filter adequately.

*UGH*

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca