babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » CON servatives Don't Talk About This!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: CON servatives Don't Talk About This!
Brutus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5073

posted 04 June 2004 05:35 PM      Profile for Brutus        Edit/Delete Post
Oh they rant about 100 million going missing in the ad scandal.

They rant and rave about the cost of our gun control.

But they don't like to talk about the tax money that was lost because they let a wealthy family take 2 billion out of the country without collecting the taxes.

http://www.fpp.co.uk/docs/people/Bronfman/Globe201201.html

Two advance tax rulings made while the federal Conservatives were in power allowed a family to transfer nearly $1-billion worth of trust assets to the U.S. in 1985 and then again in 1991 without paying a dime in taxes.

Liberaler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5674

posted 04 June 2004 06:16 PM      Profile for Liberaler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brutus:
Oh they rant about 100 million going missing in the ad scandal.

They rant and rave about the cost of our gun control.

But they don't like to talk about the tax money that was lost because they let a wealthy family take 2 billion out of the country without collecting the taxes.

You make a very strong point here. Even though I am following the Liberals and will be voting for the Liberals. That is all the Alliance Conservatives seem to be moaning about.

http://www.fpp.co.uk/docs/people/Bronfman/Globe201201.html

Two advance tax rulings made while the federal Conservatives were in power allowed a family to transfer nearly $1-billion worth of trust assets to the U.S. in 1985 and then again in 1991 without paying a dime in taxes.

[ 04 June 2004: Message edited by: Liberaler ]

[ 04 June 2004: Message edited by: Liberaler ]

From: Toronto Ontario | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Liberaler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5674

posted 04 June 2004 06:19 PM      Profile for Liberaler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I am sorry. my previous post screwed up some how. I said that the previous poster had a valid point.
From: Toronto Ontario | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brutus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5073

posted 05 June 2004 08:49 AM      Profile for Brutus        Edit/Delete Post
RE::Two advance tax rulings made while the federal Conservatives were in power allowed a family to transfer nearly $1-billion worth of trust assets to the U.S. in 1985 and then again in 1991 without paying a dime in taxes.

This CON servative no tax deal was estimated to have cost Canadian tax payers 700 million in tax revenue!

And this is only one item in a CON servative government that had lots of scandals with serveral CON servative M.P.'s having to resign!

WAKE UP CANADA!

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 05 June 2004 08:56 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's funny how the CPC is nothing at all like the old PC party, until there is a negative connotation, then they are one and the same. So which is it? Is the CPC the true voice of what was once the PC party? Or are those awful ReformaTory Alliance-Conservatives nothing at all like the old PCs (in which case there is no justification for blaming them for what a completely different party did)?
From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 06 June 2004 02:16 AM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gir Draxon:
It's funny how the CPC is nothing at all like the old PC party, until there is a negative connotation, then they are one and the same.

Works both ways, I've noticed. Conservatives are always all, oh we're still the virgin uncorrupted Reform until someone talks about Reformist so-con religious looneys. Then it's "Oh, no, we're the mainstream Conservative party now, we're not scary any more."

Unfortunately, the American experience shows us that an alliance between the corrupt fiscal right wing and the looney racist religious right wing can result in a corrupt, fiscally dangerous party which *also* pushes the agenda of the looney religious right.

What you've got in the Conservative party is an alliance between those two groups. There's plenty of room for the Mulroney Bay Street Boyz to be corrupt and create tax-cut deficits while killing services and for the Reformer Bible Brigade to roll back rights while the Boyz look on indulgently. So no, we don't have to decide "which is it?"--precedent shows it can easily be both.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
mrpoint
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6105

posted 13 June 2004 09:12 PM      Profile for mrpoint     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Loonism is rampant amongst the Christian Coalation er um i mean the Reform Party oops i mean the Aliance party ooops agian The new Conservatives..

Did we remember not to forget that Harper personally penned the Reform platform in 1993?

There is no hiding agenda's here Harper is what he is and man oh man is he personally a right wing religous nut ball.

I mean heck he left manning and his boys back in the early 90s when they went too far away from their extremist roots (christian coalation {front}). He said bye bye Preston you guys just are too far left bent for me.

so lets all make sure these nut bars don't get in.
ok y'all!

From: Burlington ontario | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
Babbler # 3804

posted 14 June 2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rufus Polson:

Works both ways, I've noticed. Conservatives are always all, oh we're still the virgin uncorrupted Reform until someone talks about Reformist so-con religious looneys. Then it's "Oh, no, we're the mainstream Conservative party now, we're not scary any more."

Anyone who is scared of the new Conservative party was scared of the Reform party. Anyone who is not scared of the CPC was not scared of Reform. I see no inconsistency.

I have never heard anyone in the CPC imply that they are "not scary anymore". I for one don't have any problem with associating the new party with Preston Manning's Reform party.

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 14 June 2004 12:45 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I for one don't have any problem with associating the new party with Preston Manning's Reform party.

...of course, that's because compared to Albertan separatists such as yourself, the Manning Reform party was MOR moderate. Not so to the vast majority of Canadians, I'm afraid.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 14 June 2004 01:15 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Gir, a seperatist?

Oh Man. I love this thread.

Gir, when did you come out of the closet?

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
Babbler # 3804

posted 14 June 2004 01:24 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd:
Gir, a seperatist?

Oh Man. I love this thread.

Gir, when did you come out of the closet?

Yes, I confess to being a seperatist- that Gilles Duceppe is just too charming

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 14 June 2004 01:40 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I will admit those cold eyes stir something in my deepest darkest conservative heart.
From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
Babbler # 3804

posted 14 June 2004 02:04 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
As for Alberta seperation...

The reason why I admire Manning so much is because he took the anger of the western alienation of the later Mulroney years and changed it from the west wanting out to "The west wants in!". I see Reform as an important political movement in order to prevent seperatist movements from getting off the ground.

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 14 June 2004 02:12 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sorry, I guess I overstated my case.

Gir is perfectly happy to have something called Canada on the map, so long as all power devolves to the provinces, and he can live happily-ever-after behind his firewall.

Better?

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca