FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » house of commons votes

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: house of commons votes
terra1st
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4605

posted 22 March 2004 12:20 PM      Profile for terra1st     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hi all.

I'll be writing campaign literature (or what I hope will become campaign litterature, if the campaign teams like it) and I need some help... Basically I'm looking to do some research into the CA's voting and comments.

How does one find a particular MP's voting record?

What are the websites to go to to find this information?

There are two that I can remember people mentioning on this forum, but I forget the names and such...

1) newbie used to link to a lgbta group that had votes pertaining to so-con issues and queer rights...

2) wasn't there one by elections canada somewhere for all of the votes? Is it searchable?

I also would be very interested if someone could suggest a site that has the MPs comments inside the house during debates, etc. Or, failing that, a site that has the MPs comments regarding war + supporting the americans.

Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 22 March 2004 12:25 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
www.egale.ca has a comprehensive list of all MPs voting record of gay and lesbian issues.

On other issues, you're stuck slogging throough hansard on the Parliament's website www.parl.gc.ca

If you're interested in a few MPs in particular, use the index of hansard to find everything they said in Parliament during their term(s). You can always find some jewels that way.

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
terra1st
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4605

posted 22 March 2004 12:30 PM      Profile for terra1st     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sara Mayo:
If you're interested in a few MPs in particular, use the index of hansard to find everything they said in Parliament during their term(s).

Could you tell me more about this "index of hansard"?

Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 22 March 2004 12:31 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Hansard Index should help. While it's not as good as a full-text searchable Hansard would be (hint, hint, H of C computer people) it should be of assistance to you in finding these things.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 22 March 2004 12:36 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Notice that there's a different index for each session of Parliament. You'll need to check all the indexes to find your stuff.
From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
terra1st
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4605

posted 22 March 2004 12:46 PM      Profile for terra1st     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sara Mayo:
www.egale.ca has a comprehensive list of all MPs voting record of gay and lesbian issues.

I don't think that's the one that Newbie linked to... the one he linked to had breakdowns for issues such as abortion, stem cell research and other things like that.... And it listed when someone was absent.

Does anyone else remember the thread he pasted that stuff into? It was a really great listings of the voting records!

turns out that greenpeace has some voting records here.

Tim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3145

posted 22 March 2004 12:47 PM      Profile for Tim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
LEGISInfo might also help. It's only available for the current parliament (i.e. data is available for Jan. 2001 on), but it's organized by bill, with links to votes, speeches, etc.
From: Paris of the Prairies | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
terra1st
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4605

posted 22 March 2004 12:53 PM      Profile for terra1st     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks all. This should really help.

edited to add - I'm going to link this here, just so I don't lose it again: other thread.

[ 22 March 2004: Message edited by: terra1st ]

Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 22 March 2004 01:16 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Tim, thanks for the LEGISINFO link. It's so cooool! I feel like a dufus that I never knew about it.
terra1st
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4605

posted 30 March 2004 12:35 PM      Profile for terra1st     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
another few quick questions:

1) How do we get the list of groups/companies that donated money to an MPs campaign the last few elections?

2) Do groups like focus on the family or alliance for life have to disclose who gave them money? If so, where would I find that info?

A few months ago I hunted down this info, but I can't remember now... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 30 March 2004 12:45 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
1) Start here.

[ 30 March 2004: Message edited by: albireo ]

terra1st
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4605

posted 30 March 2004 12:56 PM      Profile for terra1st     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
many thanks.
Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 30 March 2004 01:00 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Check this out also (registry of charities, including annual returns, but no donor info).

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca