babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Health care: references wanted

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Health care: references wanted
April Follies
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4098

posted 30 November 2003 04:25 PM      Profile for April Follies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've had a couple of questions thrown at me by USians about single-payer heath care, how it works in theory and how it works for Canadians in practice. I was caught somewhat flat-footed; I have loads of references on how the US system doesn't work, but not so many (other than personal stories) on how the Canadian system does! I am doing some web-searching for sources, but I thought (hoped) y'all might not mind handing me a few short-cuts by telling me where to look for studies and sources, facts and figures.
From: Help, I'm stuck in the USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 30 November 2003 04:33 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You could always start with the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, AF, a left-of-centre think tank (you should pardon the expression. "Think tank" always makes me think of the RAND Corporation, which indeed did/does much thinking about tanks...)

Click on "Research and Publications," then "Paying for Keeps," just for starters.

The "Links" page might be helpful too, especially "Friends of Medicare."

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 30 November 2003 04:49 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Romanow Report is another good source.
Also, check out some Council of Canadians and Maude Barlow stuff.

From: In Regina, the land of Exotica | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
April Follies
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4098

posted 30 November 2003 04:51 PM      Profile for April Follies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You guys are wonderful. Thanks for the start-off! (And more are always welcome. )
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 30 November 2003 05:00 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Canada Health Coalition
From: In Regina, the land of Exotica | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 30 November 2003 05:04 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And in the USA, Physicians for a National Health Program!
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 30 November 2003 07:05 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It may be better than the American system, but our health system is far from perfect.
From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
April Follies
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4098

posted 30 November 2003 07:42 PM      Profile for April Follies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Any system's far from perfect. In this request, I'm just looking for data on whether a move to a single-payer plan would likely improve healthcare in the US. However, I'm sure there are improvements various Canadians would like to make to their healthcare system as well. I suspect that on this board, however, you won't find much support for privatization or public-private partnerships being an improvement; and all the data I've seen on that topic suggest that those options led to a degradation of healthcare in most places they've been tried.

Thanks again to those who've suggested links - I how have reading material for weeks...

abnormal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1245

posted 30 November 2003 07:49 PM      Profile for abnormal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Actually, as a rule, everyone has a gripe about their healthcare system, REGARDLESS of what it is.

In Canada the bitching seems to be about waiting lists, followed closely by the shortage of GP's. In the US it seems to be about the number of uninsureds followed by complaints about HMO's. In the UK it seems to be rationing and waiting lists [pick up any UK paper and it seems unusual to have more than two days go by without finding a major article about someone that was either denied treatment because the govenment had performed the relevant number of treatments for the year or some such. A couple of weeks ago the stories concerned a woman that had to travel to Holland at her own expense for some specific treatment that was not available in UK because National Medical couldn't afford to turn the machine on (note the machine was there, they just wouldn't pay to turn it on).]

From: far, far away | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
hibachi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 956

posted 30 November 2003 11:41 PM      Profile for hibachi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think it is safe to say that a single payer system works much better than a nationalized bureaucracy. In the British system, there is one NHS 'manager' for every two doctors. It is impervious to change.

In the single payer system, doctors and non-profits can set up health care facilities, and provide them to the public as the public demands. The province pays set fees for specific health services.

Canada has kept health care spending low in order to run surpluses in its fiscal budgets. As a result, health care delivery is poor in Canada. More doctors and nurses are needed, and more investments have to be made.

From: Toronto, Ont. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 01 December 2003 01:42 AM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Health Care delivery is NOT poor in Canada, though our media takes great pains to give us the impression it is.

There is certianly room for improvement though, and some provinces have been taking some disastrous steps in the wrong direction (AB, BC, ON). Always room for improvement, having enough adequately paid nurses and GPs would be a great start.

From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca