FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Ann Coulter

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Ann Coulter
zaphod
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4261

posted 21 November 2003 02:20 PM      Profile for zaphod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
See Ann's latest. Its good
http://www.anncoulter.org/

Sisyphus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1425

posted 21 November 2003 02:37 PM      Profile for Sisyphus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
See Ann's latest. Its good

That would be a first.

From: Never Never Land | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 21 November 2003 02:42 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I managed about four paragraphs. There was enough drivel in that small portion to send me away. Ann hasn't changed.
From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 21 November 2003 02:49 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Unable to rouse more than the Saddam-supporting left ...

Sentence two was where I stopped. Same old Ann. Stupid and bereft of logical argument.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 21 November 2003 02:53 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
I didn't get past the first hilarious paragraph...the economy and Democratic candidate name-recognition running at about 7%...Stop, Ann, stop...I'm going to pee my pants! Off topic (but then discussing Ann Coulter is always beside the point), what is the attraction men seem to have with bleach-blond with black roots? Is it the aura of wantoness and loose morals the look seems to suggest? I really, really, really want to know this.
From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 21 November 2003 03:03 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If the Americans want wingnuts like her around I guess thats their business. I just wish the National Pest would stop running columns, or thinly disguised regurgitations of her rantings. Absolutely astonishing the level of sheer blind credulity required for a person like her to get any traction. Terrifying.
From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
googlymoogly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3819

posted 21 November 2003 03:03 PM      Profile for googlymoogly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Charlie Dean went to Indochina in 1974 to witness the ravages of the war he had opposed. Not long after he arrived, the apparently ungrateful communists captured and killed him. Hey fellas! I'm on your s-- CLUNK!

Yeah, that's really witty, making fun of someone's death and all. I hope the irony in this article isn't lost on everyone .

From: the fiery bowels of hell | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Missing Ape Found Shaved
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4675

posted 21 November 2003 03:12 PM      Profile for Missing Ape Found Shaved     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by googlymoogly:
Yeah, that's really witty, making fun of someone's death and all.

I'd throw a party, or at a least a swell wine and cheese, if this gigantic Adam's apple-having skunt were to meet the other side of existence.

zaphod
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4261

posted 21 November 2003 03:37 PM      Profile for zaphod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I still say she is witty and enjoy her columns. Perhaps many of you don't like her because she speaks the truth?
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 21 November 2003 03:39 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
LOL!
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 21 November 2003 03:40 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by zaphod:
I still say she is witty and enjoy her columns. Perhaps many of you don't like her because she speaks the truth?

How on Earth did you ever come to that conclusion? Ann Coulter is a willfully stupid person. She lies, she over-dramatises and she maligns anyone who disagrees with her. What version of the truth do you think you see in what she writes?

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 21 November 2003 03:42 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
According to her version of "the truth," American liberals -- all American liberals, by definition -- hate America as such, but nevertheless are engaged in a ceaseless struggle to dominate it. So that they can then detroy it, of course. That's the argument of her latest unindicted crime against trees, "Treason."

If by "the truth," you mean "utterly uninformed, manifestly hateful, possibly paranoid and definitely delusional rantings, which for some mysterious reason are taken seriously enough by the right-wing punditocracy of that great Republic to the south of us that she gets both publication and time on the airwaves"... why yes, you're quite right. I don't like her because she speaks "the truth." Not a version of "the truth," though, I can recognize as such.

[ 21 November 2003: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 21 November 2003 06:04 PM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm still hoping for a talking Ann Coulter doll under the Christmas tree.

[ 21 November 2003: Message edited by: robbie_dee ]

banquosghost
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4520

posted 21 November 2003 11:46 PM      Profile for banquosghost     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'd never before today encountered anyone anywhere who was willing to admit they thought the Coulter creature was anything other than a toxic joke on humanity.

Congratulations Zaphod! You're the first.

From: north vancouver, bc | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 21 November 2003 11:53 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If you can find the newest edition of The Baffler, banquosghost (no. 16), Thomas Frank has a nice little piece about Coulter and other attack dogs of the radical right.

He points out that not only are her books best-sellers (in the US anyway), when he went to his local library to look for a copy of Treason, they'd laid in a stock of 17 copies, and still had 38 people on the waiting list to borrow it.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 22 November 2003 08:58 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
She is funny, in a way. It's kinda humourous to see someone with such a erroneous view of the world flail about trying to make sense. The humour is present in the sheer embarrassment one feels for the author, and her tiny brain. It is a dark humour, I'll grant, and probably not everyone's cup of tea. It would make me feel less squeamish if she actually meant to be funny. In her rantings, sadly, her humour is entirely accidental.

Kinda like our new pal's humour. Keep hitting them outta the park, buddy!

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Puetski Murder
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3790

posted 23 November 2003 12:41 AM      Profile for Puetski Murder     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If Ann wants all liberals rounded up, converted and/or run out of the country, is she advocating a single party system? Totalitarianism?

That isn't sexy.

Plus, I'd put her columns under political satire, not politics. She zings the right-wing position so well with her over the top, unrealistic, unfunny rants.

The girly-girl in me really wants to give her a proper dye job, and a good hair cut. Plus some clothes that actually flatter her body. Miniskirts, Ann? Your politics are as well advised
as your wardrobe.

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 23 November 2003 03:19 AM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The girly-girl in me wants to scratch her eyes out with my mascara wand.

Whoops, did I say that? Oh my. Shame on me.

The mother in me wants to feed her. She looks as if she hasn't eaten in years. No wonder she's so crabby.

I wouldn't comment on her looks ordinarily, but given that she has a) repeatedly attacked other women's looks and choice of dress in her columns and books and b) posed very publicly in lingerie, I feel entitled.

quote:
I just wish the National Pest would stop running columns, or thinly disguised regurgitations of her rantings.

Don't you know? The Aspers love anything that trumpets the cause of private enterprise or Muslim-hating, no matter how roundabout, nutty, or genocidal in nature. Ann is right up their alley.

[ 23 November 2003: Message edited by: Smith ]

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 23 November 2003 04:36 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey now. Let's be fair. There's nothing wrong with Ann Coulter that three square meals a day and rabies vaccine can't cure.
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
banquosghost
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4520

posted 23 November 2003 12:19 PM      Profile for banquosghost     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think Coulter belongs in a padded room with Pat Robertson. For eternity.
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 23 November 2003 01:03 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I think Coulter belongs in a padded room with Pat Robertson. For eternity.

God no, they might have children!

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 23 November 2003 01:55 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That could just be greater agony for Robertson and Coulter. With two such monsters as parents, the kids would likely become secular humanist trisexual radicals, by way of rebellion.

You'd have to let the kids out sooner rather than later, though. Cruel and unusual punishment to leave them cooped up there.

banquosghost
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4520

posted 23 November 2003 02:06 PM      Profile for banquosghost     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Their children would become their diet.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 23 November 2003 02:25 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Now wait just a cotton-pickin' minute, youse guys.

I read the whole column that zaphod linked to way back there, and I have to admit, parts of it are laugh-out-loud funny. I mean: anyone here admire the retch-worthy sentimentality of USian presidential campaigns? These dorks do exploit family tragedies for all the wrong reasons (are there right ones?). Her paragraph about Al Gore was the one that really made me laugh -- and I'm a smoker.

Y'know, right here on babble we have occasionally had persons willing to exploit family tragedies (using that term loosely) to blow up debates that were cutting too close to home. Hard to believe, I know, but it has happened.

And it's frustrating when it does, ain't it?

So I give Ann points for thumbing her nose at these big (cynical lying) babies -- and I'll give her more points if she goes slicing through all the Republicans who pull the same kind of nonsense at election time.

robbie_dee: Hee. But I see why you want one. Maybe I want one too. Don't take the plastic off when you get it. In forty years, it will fetch the big bucks on eBay.

banquosghost
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4520

posted 23 November 2003 08:35 PM      Profile for banquosghost     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Skdadl, that reminds me of Molly Ivins line about liberals saying "you may have a point there" when they're criticized. It's all well and good to privately say that every now and then Coulter is amusing. But to give any kind of aid and comfort to the people who take her deadly seriously is to court more of her and more clones of her.

N'est-ce pas?

Puetski Murder
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3790

posted 23 November 2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Puetski Murder     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Smith, I think you may be onto something.

Ann is so crochety because she hasn't eaten since 1996.

Will someone cook her a noodle casserole and whip up a chocolate parfait for dessert so we can get some peace?

I can't believe some people actually cite her to back up their arguments. That's like watching "This Hour has 22 Minutes" to get your current events.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 23 November 2003 10:12 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, yes, but at least on "22 Minutes" they make brief reference to actual facts to set up their jokes.
majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 24 November 2003 12:43 AM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I read the whole column that zaphod linked to way back there, and I have to admit, parts of it are laugh-out-loud funny.

So...the new cover for right-wing hate-mongering is that it's just intended to be stand-up comedy? In this column she once again viciously attacks Democrats & liberals, then closes with a call for violence against them. What a horrid facist harpy!

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 24 November 2003 01:45 AM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, a friend of mine has a theory that she's a left-wing performance artist.

She's ridiculous, really. She's like this guy, except "real."

I'd say "you can't take her seriously," except you obviously can, because people do.

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 24 November 2003 02:58 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think we should take Anne Coulter seriously.

She's ratcheting up the rhetoric, there's violence in the things she says; and by advocating the bombing of what she thinks is a bastion of liberal thought, the New York Times, and by branding all liberals as traitors, it's clear that she, and those who run her columns, won't be happy until we on the left are dead.

Paranoid?

This is how this shit starts.

Take her very seriously, and get your F.A.C. in the mean time.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 24 November 2003 04:21 AM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Given what we now know about Rush, I think asking her to submit to a drug test would be a good idea. I mean, there's got to be some explanation for this woman's obviously fragile state of mind.

I suspect speed, myself. I've known a few speed freaks, and they remind me of her: skinny, paranoid, raving, and prone to violent outbursts. But of course, they never last too long, unlike heroin junkies, who can remain functional for decades under the right circumstances. In a few years we'll know the truth one way or another.

From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 24 November 2003 05:24 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have to admit, no one quite does nutty pundits like the US, whether it's beefy shouters like Rush Limbaugh, or manic natterers like Ann Coulter. Canadian attempts to imitate either of these models are usually plain dire, not to say embarrassing victims of the Wannabe Syndrome. Take Rachel Marsden. Please.
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 24 November 2003 05:45 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Rachel, Rachel...in the wise words of the great Pat Benatar, I implore you...Stop using sex as a weapon! o-oh, yeah...stop using sex.."..and as for you, Ann...er well, could someone explain to me what exactly her sex-weapon is?
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 24 November 2003 07:14 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Ann...er well, could someone explain to me what exactly her sex-weapon is?

Well, looking at Coulter certainly puts me off having sex. So mayber her plan is to plaster her hideous, skull-like visage across the interweb as much as possible so that liberals stop breeding.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 24 November 2003 07:24 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What do you mean "puts you off sex". That woman is one stone cold fox. Long, sexy, soft hair, pretty smile, great skin.

mmm. I could stare at her all day.

especially this one

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 24 November 2003 07:29 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
She's looking more like this these days, Heywood.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 24 November 2003 07:31 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You know, my wife is hot and all but if Coulter showed up, I'd have a hard ( ) time saying No. I would, but it would be really hard( ).

I need a smoke now.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 24 November 2003 07:40 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Dr. Floyd, I've said it before -- or if I haven't, I should have. Yer a sick man.

In all seriousness: eating disorders are not sexy. Take a look at Ms Coulter's left arm in that last photo. I challenge you to tell me she gets -- or perhaps the more accurate word is "keeps" -- enough to eat.

[ 24 November 2003: Message edited by: 'lance ]

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 24 November 2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Quick, somebody please give that scrawny little woman a steady series of high-calorie meals.
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 24 November 2003 07:45 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I gotta agree here. Give her a good cheezeburger (with red alberta beef of course) and a couple of pints of big rock and she will be back on course.

While still drop dead beautiful, eating disorders are not sexy.

edited to add

in alberta, we cheese with a Z so don't be bitchin' about the spellin'.

[ 24 November 2003: Message edited by: HeywoodFloyd ]

banquosghost
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4520

posted 24 November 2003 07:49 PM      Profile for banquosghost     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
See, that's the hook. There remains a male constituency for whom nothing about good looking women matters except that they are good looking. Crazy as a shit house rat just doesn't enter the equation if the woman is good to look at. It lets a lot of good looking women get away with a lot of crap.
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 24 November 2003 07:51 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
We ain't voting for her, just a lookin'.

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 24 November 2003 08:14 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't think she's attractive. She's got long blond hair and she's thin and WASPy-looking, it's true, but those qualities by themselves don't make a person attractive (much as the magazines might like us to think otherwise). Her face is pinched and she looks angry and tense in every photo I've ever seen of her - she never really smiles.

I don't think it's fun to be her.

SHH
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1527

posted 25 November 2003 12:13 AM      Profile for SHH     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I work with a woman in her mid 30s whose arms look just like Coulter’s. Yet, she’s amazingly strong and eats almost non-stop. I swear she burns 500 cals a day just being overly fidgety. I think she’s just naturally skinny.

As to Coulter, I understand that off-camera, she’s a chain smokin, hard drinkin, hyper-ball that almost never sleeps. That would go a long way towards keeping you thin.

From: Ex-Silicon Valley to State Saguaro | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 25 November 2003 12:47 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I challenge you to tell me she gets -- or perhaps the more accurate word is "keeps" -- enough to eat.

Ahh shoot. I'm still gigglin'.

Ever read "The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole"? Adrian talks about Margaret Thatcher in a way that reminds me of Coulter. He said that the Iron Lady has a soft voice and polite smile...but the eyes of a deranged mass murderer (or something like that).

Even if one is able to find this scrawny harpie attractive, her eyes are psychotic.

She's plumb scary-looking.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
N.R.KISSED
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1258

posted 25 November 2003 12:53 AM      Profile for N.R.KISSED     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
pretty smile,

I've seen more inviting expressions on a guard dog.

quote:
Her face is pinched and she looks angry and tense in every photo I've ever seen of her - she never really smiles.
I don't think it's fun to be her.

I think that brings to attention the wonder of the right-wingers psychology. People like Coulter have every conceivable thing one is supposed to aspire to in American culture i.e. fame, wealth , influence, power yet they're exceedingly miserable.

From: Republic of Parkdale | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 25 November 2003 04:17 AM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have yet to read anything of hers that was positive or celebratory. Even when she's praising someone, e.g. Phyllis Schafly, it's in terms of "why don't the stupid liberals see how great this person is, you'd think they'd be crowning her with laurels but they're evil and hypocritical, blah blah blah."

It's not a general right-wing thing, although many of the most prominent right-wingers seem to be gratuitously nasty (e.g. Rush); still, I can think of other right-wing columnists who don't seem so terrifically angry all the time. Admittedly the smug self-satisfaction of, say, David Frum is equally annoying, but...

[ 25 November 2003: Message edited by: Smith ]

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 25 November 2003 04:38 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
She's absolutely whacked out.

And she's being used to inflame by those that do not currently dare do so publically.

Do you think the darker episodes of human history-- particularly since the invention of the printing press-- did not have it's bastion of Coulter Crows flying ahead of the four horsemen?

They mean us harm, Smith, real, physical harm.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 25 November 2003 11:50 AM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
What do you mean "puts you off sex". That woman is one stone cold fox. Long, sexy, soft hair, pretty smile, great skin.
mmm. I could stare at her all day.

Excuse me a second...

*VOMIT!*

Ech. Sorry, but the whole concentration camp chic does nothing for me. I mean, she looks like something out of a Hieronymus Bosch painting...

See? That's Ann on the left.

quote:
I gotta agree here. Give her a good cheezeburger (with red alberta beef of course) and a couple of pints of big rock and she will be back on course.

Again, you could slap J Lo's curves on her and she'd still make me vomit my guts out. Why? Because she is a black-hearted, spiteful, shrill, lying, venomous, protofascist, witch

[ 25 November 2003: Message edited by: black_dog ]

Kimura
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4490

posted 25 November 2003 02:29 PM      Profile for Kimura     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
word, black_dog.

how a journalist looks has zero bearing on whether i give them any kind of credibility. hell, this is the first time i've seen a picture of Coulter. does it affect my opinion of her as a scarily irrational reactionary? not a whit.

i find it telling that her appearance is a factor of her appeal to her fans.

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 25 November 2003 02:53 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Which is why it's worthy of attention in a way that, say, Phyllis Schafly's appearance is not. (I still don't know what Phyllis looks like.)

And I think this about sums it up, really.

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 25 November 2003 02:57 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"If you can never be too rich or too thin,
When you eventually collapse on the sidewalk,
Is it expensive to keep it out of the newspaper?"

Meryn Cadell

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 25 November 2003 03:02 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't know. I don't really think Ann Coulter's appearance is worthy of note one way or another. If she were overweight, I think most progressive people wouldn't start making bovine jokes about her weight due to her politics. Even if she is anorexic (and she might not be - she might just have a tendency to lose weight if she gets overworked or stressed out or doesn't watch her diet, just as many people have a tendency to gain weight for those same reasons), I don't really see that as something to use against her.

I know that she mocks other people's appearance, and she thinks she's a beauty queen. Still, just because she judges people by their appearance doesn't mean that I plan to do it regarding her. I don't think that the fact that she puts appearance up for ridicule means that it is now a legitimate avenue for criticizing political pundits.

If she were just an ordinary person on the street, I wouldn't think she was ugly or had evil eyes. I think she's relatively pretty, although I don't think she's going to win the Miss America contest. Knowing what I know about her completely changes how I look at her, of course, and it makes her completely unattractive to me, and in that case I can see what al-Q means about evil eyes. But it's not her eyes themselves that look mean - it's her whole nasty personality looking out through them that makes them seem mean.

For me, it's just like the way plain men and women can look incredibly attractive and sexy to me. Depends on what kind of personality is animating the features, that's all.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 25 November 2003 03:03 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Aw crap. I'm ugly then.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 25 November 2003 03:14 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Even if she is anorexic (and she might not be - she might just have a tendency to lose weight if she gets overworked or stressed out or doesn't watch her diet, just as many people have a tendency to gain weight for those same reasons), I don't really see that as something to use against her.

I don't think it's something to use against her. But I do think it's something to point out to those who find her sexy.

Edit:

And again, Dr., I think it's your four-way shot of her above that's causing side-scroll, here. I think you've made your point -- can you maybe replace it with a link, or something?

[ 25 November 2003: Message edited by: 'lance ]

zaphod
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4261

posted 25 November 2003 04:01 PM      Profile for zaphod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
OT but of interest to me. I have speculated that Princess Diana would not have received one 10th of the outpourings over her death if she was un-attractive or obese. Any opinions?
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 25 November 2003 04:03 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I agree.
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 25 November 2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Do we have to assume that throughout the drama that was her life, throughout the countless media appearances and ceremonies, and throughout her charitable works after her breakup with Charles, that she was unattractive and obese, or are we just to picture her unattractive and obese at the time of her death? I need to know, because I'm taking a break from teaching math right now, and want to get into this particularly useful thought experiment with the right premises in mind.
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 25 November 2003 05:16 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
OT but of interest to me. I have speculated that Princess Diana would not have received one 10th of the outpourings over her death if she was un-attractive or obese. Any opinions?

Feh. I never thought Di was attractive. She just looked like someone who had a lot of money.

But getting back to Ann Coulter and the relevance (or lack thereof) of her physical appearance, the fact that she uses her appearance to sell her vile swill (not to mention mocking others' appearance) makes her fair game for mockery. Plus, she'd be pretty repulsive even if she wasn't such a harpie.

Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 25 November 2003 05:19 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
As to Coulter, I understand that off-camera, she’s a chain smokin, hard drinkin, hyper-ball that almost never sleeps. That would go a long way towards keeping you thin.

Just adds fuel to my hypothesis. I'm tellin' ya, in a few years we'll be hearing all about Ann the recovering speed freak/coke head.

From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
zaphod
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4261

posted 25 November 2003 05:44 PM      Profile for zaphod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hinterland: All of the above. Picture it as a union in a Venn Diagram..or make that a Zen Diagram
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 25 November 2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Then, that would be a "yes", perfesser.

[ 25 November 2003: Message edited by: Hinterland ]

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 25 November 2003 06:46 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I didn't think Di was especially beautiful; again, she was blonde, thin, and aristocratic - not unattractive, certainly, but if she'd been Diana Everywoman I doubt her beauty would have been much remarked upon.

But yes, I think she got the attention she did because she was young and attractive.

And I think Coulter would be immensely better looking if she didn't have such a nasty attitude. What's that line about how after 40, you get the face you deserve? Facial expressions, and the lines they cause in people's faces, make a lot of difference in the way a person looks.

zaphod
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4261

posted 25 November 2003 06:46 PM      Profile for zaphod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hinter: We must be careful here. Math jokes tend to put people to sleep or cause mega-groans.

I can't resist: I knew a professor who had a dream that he was giving a lecture. He woke up and found that he was.

[ 25 November 2003: Message edited by: zaphod ]

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 25 November 2003 06:56 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Then there's the one about the physicist, engineeer, and mathematician (in some versions an economist) stranded on a desert island.

They each have a can of beer, but it's the old-fashioned kind without a pulltab. The physicist builds a fire, heats up the can till it splits, lets it cool, drinks.

The engineer finds a rock, then a harder rock, fashions a crude chisel, punctures the can, and drinks.

The mathematician/economist assumes the can is open, and drinks.

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 25 November 2003 08:34 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Hinter: We must be careful here. Math jokes tend to put people to sleep or cause mega-groans.

Alright, I was having fun, but this is kinda sad. Perfesser, I'm not a math teacher (..although my profession makes me well-versed in boolean logic, set theory, and Venne diagrams, which I mastered in...oh, grade 4, like everyone else I know). I was just having a laugh at your expense, but in retrospect, it seems rather mean.

[ 25 November 2003: Message edited by: Hinterland ]

Sean Tisdall
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3465

posted 25 November 2003 08:39 PM      Profile for Sean Tisdall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've reached the point where I don't even need to read the article to say shut up Ann, walk away, and drink myself into a stupor just for having to think about previous Ann Coulter musings. My head hurts.
From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Dimension XY | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 26 November 2003 01:15 AM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
She is the vanguard of a potentially really nasty turn in American politics. She gets away with a lot because she has the Hollywood looks (which I lost interest in around age 16, ok 18). Nobody witha face like that could be a nasty, lying, vile spewing hate monger, could they? Oh, right.

Eva Braun was apparently quite a looker too.

marcy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3562

posted 27 November 2003 12:57 AM      Profile for marcy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not to mention Diana Mitford Mosley, aka Ba Ba Black Shirt!!!!
Junkyard Dog
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1244

posted 27 November 2003 04:33 PM      Profile for Junkyard Dog     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
That woman is one stone cold fox.

Well, if your taste runs to cadaverous, horse-faced transsexuals, then sure.

As for me, I've always been slightly mystified at claims that Coulter is an attractive woman. I bought the extended edition of the Two Towers this past week, and while viewing artwork galleries that showed the evolution towards Gollum's final look in the film, I found myself thinking, "Oh, look! Ann Coulter got a haircut!"

S/he does a reasonably good job of hiding her Adam's apple, though, I have to give her that.

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 27 November 2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hee! We're just as she claimed liberals were in the book Al Franken quoted - insulting the looks of right-wing women, when right-wingers would never insult the looks of left-wing women, not even Chelsea Clinton, or Janet Reno, or Bella Abzug...(she goes on in this vein for some time, naming "ugly" liberal women...although for my part, I think Chelsea Clinton turned out quite pretty).

Mean mean liberals, we are.

Junkyard Dog
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1244

posted 27 November 2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Junkyard Dog     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Mean, mean liberals we may be (and I actually don't disagree with Michelle when she says Coulter's appearence is obviously meaningless in any discussion that relates to the woman's politics), but the bottom line for me is that I'll treat people ok if they'll do me the same courtesy. If they don't do that - and Coulter obviously doesn't - I have no intention of meekly lapping up whatever abuse they consider no less than their God-given right to spew out as they see fit. High-mindedness is all fine and well, but I see little advantage in whimpering, "Isn't it wonderful that we can disagree like civilized adults?" while some thug kicks my teeth down my throat. To hell with that.
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 27 November 2003 06:01 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh, I quite agree. And mocking her is fun.
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 27 November 2003 06:18 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Can we please let this thread die. I hate seeing that name at the top of the list every time I log on. It makes me tired.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca