babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » cabinet -- who? what? when?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: cabinet -- who? what? when?
'topherscompy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2248

posted 19 November 2003 01:18 AM      Profile for 'topherscompy        Edit/Delete Post
what do you think paul martin will do with cabinet?
who's staying? who's going? who's coming in from the backbench? will he kick em' all out and pretend he owns the place, or will it be the same old shit in different piles?

paul has about 23 days to decide, which means we have about 23 days to speculate.

ghoris
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4152

posted 19 November 2003 01:48 AM      Profile for ghoris     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, there was a rumour circulating that Martin would appoint a small cabinet of super-loyal ministers, some holding double portfolios, just to steer the ship of state for a few months until the next election.

I think of the present cabinet the only two who we can safely say will be in the next cabinet are Anne McLellan and Ralph Goodale. I think Martin will clean house. John Turner failed to clean house after taking over in 1984 and that hurt him in the election campaign because it looked like the same old gang. I think Martin's advisers are very shrewd and will press hard for him to massively overhaul his cabinet.

I've heard some rumours pertaining to B.C. and Manitoba. I've heard David Anderson will be kept in Environment and will be promoted back to political minister for B.C. He may not remain in cabinet after the next election, but for now Martin wants to make sure the Liberals hold on to the Victoria seat. Herb Dhaliwal is expected to be booted, and Martin is expected to promote Quadra MP Stephen Owen to either Justice or Indian Affairs (since both Martin Cauchon and Robert Nault are expected to get dropped from cabinet).

I expect that lacklustre Veteran's Affairs Minister Ray Pagtakhan and Government Senate Leader Sharon Carstairs will get turfed as Manitoba's representatives in Cabinet. The smart money seems to be on Winnipeg South MP Reg Alcock to get a cabinet appointment, hopefully to something a little more senior to give the province more clout at the Cabinet table.

The wild card in Manitoba is Winnipeg mayor Glen Murray - there are still persistent rumours that he will be one of several possible ministers named from outside Parliament. My Liberal sources in Manitoba tell me that Martin is desperate to beef up his urban agenda cred and would like to have Murray on board. The problem with this scenario is that it's unlikely that Murray will suddenly resign as mayor while his 'New Deal' program is still in the works, and the fact that there doesn't appear to be an available Liberal seat at the moment.

I would expect to see a lot of new faces from Ontario.

[ 19 November 2003: Message edited by: ghoris ]

kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 19 November 2003 03:16 AM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Globe and Mail implies Agriculture Minister Lyle Vanclief will not seek re-election.
From: In Regina, the land of Exotica | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marc
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 287

posted 19 November 2003 03:19 AM      Profile for Marc     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Rumour is Stephen Kakfwi will be his Indian Affairs Minister.

John McCallum will probably be Finance Minister.

Wayne Easter will be gone as Solicitor General. Cauchon is definitely (and sadly) gone from Attorney General. Boudria is gone as House Leader. Vanclief is gone as Agriculture Minister. Manley will be gone as Finance and Deputy PM. Claudette Bradshaw will be gone as Labour Minister as well as Elinor Caplan (Minister of Immigration) and Marlene Catterall (Whip). Not to mention that Rock and Copps will be shown the door.

People staying will be (as mentioned above) Anne Maclellan and Ralph Goodale but I would add to the list David Kilgour and Bill Graham.
I am not sure who will replace some of the lost "talent" but I know that Stan Keyes will be a major player.

kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 19 November 2003 03:21 AM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jeffrey Simpson
quote:
Those likely to be smiling include Geoff Reagan from Nova Scotia, Hélène Scherrer, Jacques Saada, Georges Farrah, Irwin Cotler and Liza Frulla from Quebec, Tony Valeri, Stan Keyes, Roy Cullen, Joe Volpe, and Mauril Bélanger from Ontario.

From: In Regina, the land of Exotica | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 19 November 2003 11:38 AM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Tony Valeri and Stan Keyes are both Hamilton MPs. It would be quite unfair if the 9th largest city in Canada got 2 Cabinet Ministers, while Montreal, the 2nd biggest city got 2 as well (Frulla and Cotler).
From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 19 November 2003 11:42 AM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Interesting that none of these lists include MP and former Metro Chairman Alan Tonks.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca