babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » will conrad black run for the leadership of the united right party?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: will conrad black run for the leadership of the united right party?
terra1st
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4605

posted 17 November 2003 10:40 AM      Profile for terra1st     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
does anyone else think that the timing of conrad black stepping down from his post corresponds closely to a time where there are no strong leadership candidates for the new united right party... is there a chance that the guy who describes himself as further right of maggie thatcher running for the leadership?

from the right's standpoint, he's a superstar candidate...

what do people think? is it likely?

Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 17 November 2003 10:45 AM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Didn't he have to give up his Canadian citizenship to accept an appointment to the House of Lords?
From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 17 November 2003 11:00 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
sara: yes, but there was much speculation at the time that, as soon as his arch-enemy Chretien was gone, he would seek to re-claim his citizenship.

I really don't think it's realistic to imagine him running for office at the moment, given that there seem to be some sticky questions about what has been going on at Hollinger: see other thread, under News.

Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 17 November 2003 11:02 AM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yup.

quote:
In 1999, the British government moved to make him Lord Black. This elicited strong opposition from Prime Minister Jean Chrétien who pointed to the Nickle Resolution of 1919, which ruled that foreign governments could not grant honours to Canadians that carry a title or privilege. Black challenged the ruling unsuccessfully in court.

Determined to get his title, Black renounced his Canadian citizenship and was officially inducted into the British House of Lords as Lord Black of Crossharbour on October 31, 2001.

No need to worry!!

(By the way, welcome to babble terra1st)

Edited to respond to skdadl: Even if he tries to reclaim his citizenship, he would be crucified in the media if he ran for leadership of the Conservative Party... "Tycoon who cared more about siting as a Lord in UK than keeping his Canadian citizenship, all of a sudden wants to be PM". Bring him on... he would be the easiest Conservative leader to defeat!

[ 17 November 2003: Message edited by: Sara Mayo ]

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
terra1st
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4605

posted 17 November 2003 11:04 AM      Profile for terra1st     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
but does the average person care about the scandals? Or does the average person just see this as business as usual? or am I just way too jaded? given that people on the right thought that harris would be a superstar candidate, surely this scandal won't be enough to tarnish black's image? harris ran from politics so that he wouldn't be beaten in the next election....
Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 17 November 2003 11:16 AM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
but does the average person care about the scandals?

You're right terra, people won't care about that. But I have absolutely no doubt that the Canadian people will take no interest in a party whose leader gave up his Canadian citizenship. It will just confirm the impression people have of the Alliance that they don't actually like the country they live in. Canadians want their candidates for PM to be proud to be Canadian!

Like I said above, Bring him on!!!

Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 17 November 2003 11:22 AM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The point is Black hasn't "retired" in order to clear the decks for a run at politics, he's been forced to "retire" because of allegations of misconduct. That the "retirement" happens to have been forced prior to a Tory leadership race is coincidental. Add to that the fact that Black is very unpopular (he had hoped there would be national outrage at Chretien denying him a lordship - instead there was general bemusement) and that he's abandoned Canada and it's pretty clear he's not likely to run.

Frankly, I think Black has greater interest in British politics. He's more likely to lobby for a cabinet position in a future UK Tory government than to come back to the colonies.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 17 November 2003 11:26 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
terra1st, you're right that some right-wingers -- those of the Alliance persuasion -- keep thinking that they've found a saviour for the new party. Harris is a good example. But then, that's a good example of how out of touch with Canadians they are -- obviously, cooler heads reminded both Harris and his enthusiasts that he had already spent his political capital in Ontario.

Maybe some people would see Black as a saviour, but I honestly think he's become so much a running joke in this country that the major power-brokers of any reconstituted Conservative party would veto him.

Renouncing his citizenship, indeed! Lord Black, indeed! Yee hee hee. Even he (like Harris) would have to recognize that he had nothing to gain but total humiliation.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 17 November 2003 11:49 AM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I scratch my head at this desire to find a white knight to lead us to victory. It never works and is just plain delusional. Day, Harper, now Black? Actually, I haven't heard about Black from within the party and I would not vote for him. I can't see too many Tories or CA'ers backing him.
From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 17 November 2003 12:39 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I certainly hope so! The resulting blowout would be something to see. Realistically, I doubt he could be bothered.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 17 November 2003 01:23 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No way Black would run, but if he ever did lead the Conservatives into an election campaign, they'd be excreted out the other end with less than their record-low 2 seats. That pompous puffed-up aristocrat would resonate with almost nobody, making Brian Mulroney look like a beloved man of the people by comparison. Unfortunately, Black is too elitist to get his manicured hands dirty with such a low activity as democracy. Being a Lord and a press baron is more his style, and it's much better to buy and sell politicians than to actually become one.
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 17 November 2003 02:48 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd:
I scratch my head at this desire to find a white knight to lead us to victory.

Indeed. Fie on this belief that somehow with media savvy, charsisma, lively debate and team-building skills, somehow this Jack Layton person can improve our chances.
Oh, wait . . . that's *our* guy, isn't it?

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 17 November 2003 05:37 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Conrad Black forsook his Canadian citizenship in order to gain a title.

Put another way, he thumbed his nose at Canada and all things Canadian, in order to become a member of an outdated class heirarchical system. Feudalism is so 12th century.

If he comes back and runs, and even wins, the leadership of the little right wing thingy, the fact that he gave up his citizenship in order to get a title (social climbing) is bound to offend most Canadian voters. The right wing party will collapse in flames.

Therefore I strongly encourage him to run, and for all his former papers to support his candidacy for leadeship.

I might even buy a CA membership just to help his chances.

If he doesn't, we must all remember to support a 'draft Day' movement over there. If fate goes our way, the lightweight with the shallow smile and chickenbrain will get chosen, and the Days of the right as a political force will be numbered.

In fact, wy not go all the way. Lets encourage them to draft Mulroney. That would be fun on election day.

From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 17 November 2003 08:46 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I seem to have this ability to kill threads here at babble.
From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 17 November 2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Nah. We all do it here and there - you just notice it more when you've done it.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca