babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Parliament has been prorogued

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Parliament has been prorogued
the grey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3604

posted 12 November 2003 06:37 PM      Profile for the grey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A press release was issued by Don Boudria, Leader of the Government in the House of Commons, late this afternoon to announce that the Prime Minister has recommended to the Governor General that Parliament be prorogued.
From: London, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 12 November 2003 06:42 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm sure there's a joke in here somewhere about the presence of rogues in Parliament...
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 12 November 2003 06:46 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Two important bills in the works and he decides to quit.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2003/11/12/255623-cp.html

quote:
One would create an independent ethics commissioner to oversee parliamentary conflict-of-interest rules. The other would clear the way for a spring election by adding seven new seats to the Commons - including four in Western Canada,...

Oh well, at least this is the last we will hear of Copps et al.

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 12 November 2003 07:02 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What distresses me more is that the Senate has killed the bill that would have updated penalties for extreme, intentional cruelty to animals for the first time since the late C19.

That bill (I forget the number) has been killed twice before by prorogations. (It dates from before the last two elections.) Few bills in history can have been more carefully crafted, more often revised, more often in need of revival. Few bills have ever provided so many senators with a cheap platform from which to grandstand for particular groups who were never threatened by it anyway.

To hell with the Senate. I mean it. Damn them damn them damn them.

And God bless all the wee suffering critters tonight. Please stay the hand of the sadists. Och, but I know that that prayer is not a-gonna work.

TO HELL WITH THE SENATE!!!

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 12 November 2003 07:14 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Amen skdadl.

There is a sweet little cat at my wife's clinic. About a year old. Emancipated. Obviously abused and not just by animals (the details will not be posted but they are enough to make you cry).

Despite all that, the sweetest little kitty you have ever met. Talkative, trusting, and loves to cuddle. Now she is my little buddy.

God blessed her by finding someone who cared enough to turn her into the clinic. I wish she had a better future but she will most likely become another number on Animal Services' kill sheet. At least she gets to spend the last few weeks of her short and miserable life in the hands of people who care; warm, safe, well fed, with her wounds healed and her love returned.

Too many kitties.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 12 November 2003 07:19 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Heywood, no respectable animal services clinic has a kill policy any longer.

No kill, Heywood. You save that kitty, Heywood. You now have a personal responsibility, Heywood. That's where politics starts, Heywood.

Heywood: bottom line: that kitty lives. You ship her to me if you have to, but that kitty lives. Got it?

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 12 November 2003 07:36 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sorry, I should have been clear. The City of Calgary does have a kill policy for animals. (seven or ten days from date of entry to the City's facilty).

The clinic does not, of course. Neither does the Calgary Humane Society.

edited to add

I cannot take this little one. If she is still alive, I will do what I can to get her to you. I will PM you with the details if it is possible.

[ 12 November 2003: Message edited by: HeywoodFloyd ]

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 12 November 2003 11:47 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sk

I stopped by the clinic on the way home to check on her. The staff said she had what appears to be a coronary as a result of her injuries. The put her to sleep.

We'll see her again at the bridge.

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 13 November 2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by 'lance:
I'm sure there's a joke in here somewhere about the presence of rogues in Parliament...

And not just any amateur rogues, either . . .
These are *Pro* rogues!
So that's what we pay 'em for.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 13 November 2003 02:20 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd:
Sk

I stopped by the clinic on the way home to check on her. The staff said she had what appears to be a coronary as a result of her injuries. The put her to sleep.

We'll see her again at the bridge.

HF, thanks for checking back on her, and for letting me know.

If this ever happens again, I have Calgary contacts, and we are all no-kill persons. I can always help.

We must always individualize in death. The Lord make his face shine upon her, and be gracious unto her.

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 13 November 2003 02:27 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Uh, talking about the bills that aren't going through . . . did the campaign finance one ever get anywhere?
'Cause if it isn't passed yet, you *know* we're not going to see it again under Martin.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 13 November 2003 02:37 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I am a regular donor to ARF, MEOW, and FRF, all of which are no-kill organizations.

While I support no-kill in principle, in practice I have found that not all critters can be saved. Consider ARF, a noble organization who saves dogs from horrible living conditions. They find most of their dogs on Reserves and garbage dumps and they have a no-kill policy regardless of health.

What this means in practice is that some of the dogs need surgery that costs thousands of dollars to get them back into health. Couple this with respite care that can take months of work at the foster homes and that one dog has taken the resources that could have been used to prepare hundreds of others for adoption.

I hate this whole situation. It makes me frustrated, angry, and misanthropic. What else can you do? These poor dogs have been given a second chance. Many of them have been used for target practice (this is often the least horrible think I have seen).

It is all so frustrating. Please don't look at me as some monster who believes in slaughtering unwanted animals. Consider me as someone who has seen too much.

I used to volunteer at the SPCA in Lloydminster. That facility also doubled as the Lloydminster Pound so the lifecycle of the dogs depended on who turned the dogs into the facility and where they were found. If the city found them, they had ten days before the needle. One of the city by-laws prevented dogs captured by the dog catcher in the city limits to be adopted back into the city (to prevent someone from sending their neighbor to the shelter to adopt the dog so that they could avoid the fines). My wife and I still managed to adopt a wonderful little white poodle who the shelter staff named Speedy (after his propensity for bolting out the door). We had just under two wonderful years with him before he died from the twelve previous years of neglect (congestive heart failure killed him but he really was a mess).

I'm just babbling now.

Edited to add

Rufus, yes. The campaign finance bill went through.

[ 13 November 2003: Message edited by: HeywoodFloyd ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 13 November 2003 02:47 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Heywood, I believe you; I believe you. We just have to keep going, eh?
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 13 November 2003 07:34 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
THis is one issue I do feel strongly about. My tabby means more to me than anyone in the world. how could anyone oppose a bill against cruelty to animals.

Cats are people too, you know!

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca