babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » George Soros: Bush Must Go!!!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: George Soros: Bush Must Go!!!
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 12 November 2003 01:44 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Guardian

quote:
George Soros, one of the world's wealthiest financiers and philanthropists, has declared that getting George Bush out of the White House has become the "central focus" of his life, and he has put more than $15m (£9m) of his own money where his mouth is.

Mr Soros argues that the Bush White House is guided by a "supremacist ideology" that is leading it to abuse US power in its dealings with the rest of the world, and creating a state of permanent warfare.

The Bush administration's "war on terrorism" cannot be won, he argues, but is instead ushering in "a permanent state of war". He uses the emotive terms like "supremacist ideology" deliberately, saying that some of the rhetoric coming from the White House reminds him of his childhood in Nazi-occupied Hungary.

"When I hear Bush say, 'You're either with us or against us,' it reminds me of the Germans," he said in yesterday's interview. "My experiences under Nazi and Soviet rule have sensitised me."

Note the GOP weasel at the end of the article, whimpering about how Soros has "purchased the Democratic Party". While there may be some merit in that criticism, hearing it coming from the Repugnicans is more than slightly sickening.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about Soros as a general rule, but I'm with him on this one.

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 12 November 2003 09:36 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So, the repugnicans think that only they are allowed to abuse money for their own political purposes??

If they are so against this kind of abuse, then they should lead by example!!

Until such time as the facist GOP is destroyed and disbanded, then the gloves must come off in the fight against these evil, vile, bloodsuckers.

Apply the level of respect for the rights of the GOP, their members, and their supporters, as the GOP supporters apply to all others who have differing political opinions, colour, race, nationality, religion, etc. (ie. NONE.)

If they feel that allowing POW's their Geneva Conventions rights is too dangerous, then respecting the values and rights of any GOP supporter is equally dangerous!!

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 12 November 2003 11:45 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's great to see a super-rich dude on the right side of some issues. I wonder to what extent he'll bankroll the Democratic nominee against Bush, and what the effect of that will be.
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 12 November 2003 12:12 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
He can't bankroll the candidate directly, but what we're seeing after passage of McCain-Feingold, which banned parties from raising "soft" money, is that political organization not connected to the parties, such as Move On, are replacing the parties has financial conduits. Whether this is good or bad only time will tell, and may depend on your view of the importance of political parties themselves. But it is clear we have entered a new era, where these independent organizations will have far more effect on the election process.

Soros is not the only one:

"Peter B. Lewis, the Cleveland-based insurance billionaire and philanthropist, has pledged more than $12 million to try to oust President Bush from the White House.

Well known for his monetary gifts to Case Western Reserve University, Princeton University and elsewhere, Lewis has been providing money recently to liberal organizations that operate independently of the Democratic Party.

The groups - MoveOn.org and Americans Coming Together - will try to motivate people to register and vote, using newspaper ads, television and radio commercials, e-mail, and public appearances to make their case."

http://www.cleveland.com/politics/index.ssf?/base/news/106863320599611.xml

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 12 November 2003 01:00 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'd just like to say that I've never heard the term "Repugnicans" before, and it made me laugh out loud in my cubicle.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 14 November 2003 11:28 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How similar is the Canadian move regarding corporate and union donations to Canadian political parties? Are there any indications how money will be used by such groups in political campaigns after the new year (which is when the new rules are coming in)?
stevepay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4467

posted 15 November 2003 12:01 AM      Profile for stevepay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Paul martin loves george bush..
I see Canada kissing the Ass of the usa even more then we do all ready in the very near future

Adam Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3034

posted 24 November 2003 03:59 PM      Profile for Adam Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Billionaire Warren Buffet is a Democrat. I've read some articles by him that are quite good. One of them had been posted on commondreams.com

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca