babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Lord forsakes the ReformaTories

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Lord forsakes the ReformaTories
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 05 November 2003 12:08 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
First Mike Harris, now Bernard Lord says he's staying out of the leadership race of the fledgeling Conservative Party.

Are there any national figures other than Lord who might be acceptable to both Reformers and Tories, and have a chance at competing east of Manitoba, and have credibility in Quebec?

The odds are increasing of getting a Stephen Harper-led Conservative party almost indistinguishable from the Alliance.

[Edited to add:] The thread title sounded so good, and the article was entitled "Lord still staying as N.B. premier -- Resists pressure to seek leadership of right-wing party". However, it doesn't look like he has completely ruled it out:

quote:
Lord admitted he's being urged to run for the leadership of the new party, and although he hasn't ruled out the idea, the premier said he's far from making that decision.
"I think it's more important to focus on making sure that this merger is ratified," said Lord. "If the merger is not ratified ... all this talk and speculation of new leaders will be pointless."

[ 05 November 2003: Message edited by: albireo ]

Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 05 November 2003 02:46 AM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Lord rejects Conservatives.

Anyway, not much of a surprise given that his government in NB has a one seat majority. How would it look if the government collapsed because of Lord's departure (particularly if the opposition wins his seat)? Lord is trapped in NB until the next election.

West Coast Lefty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3697

posted 05 November 2003 02:53 AM      Profile for West Coast Lefty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Lord will stay put for the reasons Mycroft mentions, but also because Harper has a lock on the leadership with Harris' withdrawal. Lord would have to declare immediately and begin mounting a serious fundraising campaign to have any hope of stopping Harper.

It is the CA with a new coat of paint - going nowhere fast, great news for Jack and the NDP as the only national alternative to CEO Paul Martin.

From: Victoria, B.C. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 05 November 2003 03:30 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Lord also has a streak of red toryism to him. That doesn't play well with the Reformatory's power brokers. They want pure evil (Harris, Harper, or Klein) at the helm. Hell, Klein is probably their unattainable wet dream.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ghoris
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4152

posted 05 November 2003 04:35 AM      Profile for ghoris     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasmobri:
They want pure evil (Harris, Harper, or Klein) at the helm.

That reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Stampy (Bart's elephant) walks across the floor of the Republican convention to cheers. The banners hanging from the ceiling read 'We Want What's Worst For You' and 'We're Just Plain Evil'.

arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 05 November 2003 04:07 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What makes you think Klein is unattainable?

He has always been coy about federal politics, but he's just cocky enough to try it out if he thought he'd get the leadership.

Of course, he'd be slaughtered in the election (I hope).

From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sean Tisdall
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3465

posted 05 November 2003 04:49 PM      Profile for Sean Tisdall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Oh sure, your concience makes you vote Democrat, but deep down you want a republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king!"
From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Dimension XY | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 05 November 2003 04:56 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
We already have Sideshow Bob in charge of the country.
From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 05 November 2003 05:03 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd:
We already have Sideshow Bob in charge of the country.

We wish. Sideshow Bob is educated, indeed erudite, highly intelligent, and comes with the added bonus that his evil plans always fail.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 05 November 2003 07:24 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
best thread title ever.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 06 November 2003 01:48 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So, obviously all the private polling for the 'big names' is coming up with a big fat goose egg for the (neo-)Conservative Party.

Face it, if Lord or Harris had a hope in hell of winning, they'd be running. The fact that they won't means the 'united' right has already failed with Canadian voters.

[ 06 November 2003: Message edited by: Lard tunderin' jeesus ]

Sports Guy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3923

posted 06 November 2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Sports Guy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm sure that Elwin Hermanson will be available to run for leader soon.
From: where the streets have no name | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nam
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3472

posted 06 November 2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Nam     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by arborman:
What makes you think Klein is unattainable?

He has always been coy about federal politics, but he's just cocky enough to try it out if he thought he'd get the leadership.

Of course, he'd be slaughtered in the election (I hope).

One thing about Klein is although he may be thuggish, a coward, a person who lies through his teeth, and an all 'round nasty piece of work, the fact is he has a lot of political smarts. He would never run for this position, because he knows deep down he would be creamed in an election, and wouldn't want to wait around in opposition for many years hoping for a better chance. Much better to be a big shit in a little pond, than a little turd in a big sea.

From: Calgary-Land of corporate towers | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 06 November 2003 09:10 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
One thing about Klein is although he may be thuggish, a coward, a person who lies through his teeth, and an all 'round nasty piece of work, the fact is he has a lot of political smarts.

He does -- which is why I for one was mystified when he encouraged Harris to run for the leadership. What could he have been thinking? Perhaps the political view from here is so dimmed by distance, Klein couldn't see that Harris would have little chance in Ontario, less in the Atlantic, and less than none in Quebec, and would thus have ensured that the Brave New Alliance continue its long slow slide into complete political irrelevance. Environment Canada has revived its "Hinterland Who's Who" spots with brilliant timing.

If I didn't know better, I'd have suspected some kind of mischief-making, or a prankish sense of humour otherwise little in evidence here in Ralph's World. Perhaps his political smarts apply only to him and his cronies.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 17 November 2003 12:48 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, this sounds quite decisive:
quote:
"I'm not running. I've been clear on that since Day 1. Nothing has changed my mind," he said.

Lord won't run for right-wing leadership.

Don Macfarlane
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3593

posted 17 November 2003 07:11 PM      Profile for Don Macfarlane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Are there any national figures other than Lord who might be acceptable to both Reformers and Tories, and have a chance at competing east of Manitoba, and have credibility in Quebec?

There is one, though I think the chances of his deciding to re-enter federal politics are very near zero:
Jean Charest. Obviously acceptable to Tories, and the Reformers might want to swallow having a Red Tory around for the "Greater Good" (or "Greater Evil", in this case).

N-SIGN
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4596

posted 17 November 2003 10:51 PM      Profile for N-SIGN     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I'm sure that Elwin Hermanson will be available to run for leader soon.

That one had me laughing out loud.

Two Words: Draft Pankiw!!!!

spindoctor
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 958

posted 18 November 2003 01:23 AM      Profile for spindoctor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If the PCs at least wanted somebody to maaintain the PC nature of the new party as a foil to Harper, wouldn't Gary Filmon be palatable?
From: Kingston, Jamaica.....oh alright....Kingston, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 18 November 2003 01:48 AM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Macfarlane:

There is one, though I think the chances of his deciding to re-enter federal politics are very near zero: Jean Charest.

Frankly, if Charest gave up the premiership of Quebec to lead the Conservative Party, he'd be too nuts to consider voting for.

From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3034

posted 25 November 2003 01:06 AM      Profile for Adam Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There has actually been some talk about Filmon going for the leadership out here in Manitoba, not from him though.
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 25 November 2003 12:16 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
While we're suggesting discredited former Premiers, why not Grant Devine?
Sean Tisdall
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3465

posted 25 November 2003 09:24 PM      Profile for Sean Tisdall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Two Words:
Vander Zalm

From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Dimension XY | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 26 November 2003 01:22 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Lord's denials are sounding a little less emphatic now.
quote:
"I don't plan to be a candidate," he said. "I have a mandate from the people of New Brunswick, and my focus is in New Brunswick." He noted that his two children are still young and "that is enough to keep me in New Brunswick."
quote:
However, PC sources said yesterday that they expect a new round of pressure on Mr. Lord to take the plunge. He was in Ottawa yesterday to meet with Prime Minister Jean Chrétien and his successor, Paul Martin. He was also to attend a fund-raiser for the New Brunswick PC Party, increasing speculation about his intentions.
And:
quote:
Curiosity about Mr. Lord spiked yet again yesterday when he appointed Liberal MLA Bernard Richard as the province's new Ombudsman. Mr. Richard's appointment gives Mr. Lord a two-seat cushion in the legislature, a gap that might allow him to leave the premier's chair without jeopardizing his Progressive Conservative government.

Lord urges tolerance for new united party.

rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 26 November 2003 02:51 PM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by albireo:
Lord's denials are sounding a little less emphatic now.

He said yesterday he's running for a third term as NB premier.

http://tinyurl.com/woig

Lord isn't stupid. He has nothing to gain by running for the leadership and losing to Stephen Harper. Let the morons in the Canadian Alliance fuck up yet another party, then come in and rescue it.

From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca