babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Oh, those progressive, left-wing Liberals!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh, those progressive, left-wing Liberals!
majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 22 May 2003 01:39 AM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here's another one for The Jean Cretin Legacy:

(article appeared in the Federal NDP e-newsletter today)

Liberal Justice Minister Attempts to Stop Anti-Hate Bill

NDP MP Svend Robinson is accusing Justice Minister Martin Cauchon of purposely sending a homophobic Liberal MP to the Justice Committee in order to kill his Private Members Bill on hate propaganda laws.

Robinson says Liberal MP Tom Wappel was sent in to replace Cauchon's Parliamentary Secretary in order to kill the bill. Cauchon is also accused of ordering the replacement of two other Liberal MPs- Montreal's Marlene Jennings and Irwin Cotler- because they are known to support the bill.

"It is absolutely disgusting that the Justice Minister, who claims to support equality for gays and lesbians, would actively try to kill a bill that has been promised by his government for a long time," said Robinson. "This is a sleazy attempt to manipulate the Committee. It is well known that Tom Wappel is one of the most homophobic henchmen of the Liberal caucus and has voted with the Reform/Canadian Alliance against every bill extending equality to gays and lesbians."

Despite the request of Jennings and Cotler that they be replaced by MPs who would vote in support in their absence, not one of the MPs sent in by Cauchon has ever attended a hearing on the bill. It is known, however, that they would vote against the bill, said Robinson. "His Liberal colleagues should publicly condemn this attempt to kill a bill that has been unanimously supported by every provincial and territorial Attorney-General in Canada, as well as the Chiefs of Police, the Association of Police Boards, EGALE, and many others." Robinson's bill, which would add gays and lesbians to the hate propaganda section of the Criminal Code, received approval in principle at second reading last year, and was scheduled to be voted on yesterday in the Justice Committee after public hearings. Robinson successfully filibustered, however, all attempts by Liberal and Canadian Alliance MPs to kill his bill. It is not clear at this time when another attempt may be made to move on this! motion in the Committee.

"It is an outrage that Liberals should gang up in an unholy alliance with the Canadian Alliance to kill this long overdue bill," said NDP Leader Jack Layton. "So much for their supposed commitment to equality for gays and lesbians."

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 22 May 2003 02:14 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Somehow, I don't think most people here sincerely believe that the Liberals are either progressive or left-wing...

Everyone knows that they only pay lip service to social progressivism (is that a word?) while not doing anything in practice.

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 14 November 2003 08:38 PM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Manley tells McGuinty sharp cuts may be needed

quote:
Toronto — Ontario may have to look at sharply cutting programs and spending to reduce its $5.6-billion deficit, Finance Minister John Manley said Friday.

After meeting with Premier Dalton McGuinty at the legislature, Mr. Manley said drastic cuts enabled the federal Liberal government to manage the $42-billion deficit it inherited from the Conservatives in 1993.

"We had to take some very difficult decisions," Mr. Manley told Radio Canada following his meeting with Mr. McGuinty.

"We did early in our first mandate, and I think that Dalton will have to do likewise."

Mr. Manley said he didn't give Mr. McGuinty specific suggestions because he's not familiar with the structure of Ontario's government.

However, Mr. Manley referred to actions he took in his early days as Industry Minister.

"I had to reduce and eliminate programs to a very great degree, and my experience was, although that was a painful thing, that at the end of the process we had a better industry department because we were forced to focus on what needed to be priorities," he said.

majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 14 November 2003 08:41 PM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Increase in daycare fees riles Quebec

quote:
Controversial bill also allows government to subcontract jobs to private sector

By RHÉAL SÉGUIN
Friday, November 14, 2003 - Page A12

QUEBEC -- The rage of Quebec's powerful labour movement poured onto Premier Jean Charest's government yesterday after the Liberals moved to increase the cost of public daycare and allow government jobs to be subcontracted to the private sector.

"This is truly black Thursday for the Quebec National Assembly," said Claudette Carbonneau, president of the Confédération des syndicats nationaux. "We are not just becoming a province like the others, we will be worse than the others."

The government announced that as of Jan. 1, parents will pay $7 a day for the popular universal daycare program, which currently costs $5.

The program, which was introduced in 1997, had become a symbol of Quebec's progressive approach to families and was the envy of many community groups across the country.

majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 25 November 2003 03:00 AM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Clueless Federal Liberal cabinet minister Bill ("Torture? What Torture?") Graham wrote to his supporters recently:

quote:
I am writing to you in thanks for the support you have given me over the years. I am aware that I would not have had the opportunity to make a contribution to the government and to our country without the help of my supporters.

To celebrate my ten years as this community's federal representative, and to thank you for your contribution to my work, my wife Cathy and I would like to invite you to a party at the Boiler House Restaurant in the Distillery District on Tuesday, November 25 at 7:30 p.m.

Please join us to reminisce about the last ten years and to share with me your thoughts on parpearing for the next election and on the future of Toronto and our country.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Billy's riding...(you know, the downmarket parts):

No end in sight to child poverty: Report

quote:
Parent with a job not always a cure
Federal promise remains broken

VALERIE LAWTON
OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWA— Having a parent with a job is far from a guarantee that a child will avoid poverty, says a new report.

Campaign 2000 argues one of the key sources of child poverty is a labour market that isn't delivering the jobs and wages that allow parents to raise their children.

"More than half of children living in low-income families have parents who are indeed in the labour force," said Laurel Rothman, the group's national co-ordinator.

Campaign 2000 releases a report card every year to remind federal politicians of their broken promise — made 14 years ago today — to eliminate child poverty by 2000.

MPs unanimously passed a motion introduced by former NDP Leader Ed Broadbent on Nov. 24, 1989, to "seek to achieve the goal of eliminating poverty among Canadian children by the year 2000."

The report, which relies on the most recent figures available from Statistics Canada, suggests there's still no end in sight to child poverty. The report shows the rate continues to drop, from 16.4 per cent in 2000 to 15.6 per cent in 2001.

Neverthless, more than 1 million children were still living in poverty in Canada. That's almost one in every six children.

"It's particularly upsetting after a period of high economic growth in the late 1990s, and we're not as low as we were in 1989, which was a peak of economic recovery," Rothman said. "So we have a long way to go."

Another recent study ranked Canada 15th out of 19 rich countries in terms of the proportion of children living in poverty.

Sean Tisdall
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3465

posted 25 November 2003 09:01 PM      Profile for Sean Tisdall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Tom Wappel, hmm, that's the guy who wouldn't help a vet, because he vote alliance?

'Sorry, the gay community didn't vote for me, no marriage for you'
-Tom Wappel, professional twerp

From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Dimension XY | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
hibachi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 956

posted 26 November 2003 12:21 AM      Profile for hibachi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I wish Tom Wappell would go away.
From: Toronto, Ont. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 26 November 2003 12:45 AM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is anyone challenging him for the nomination?
majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 27 November 2003 02:46 AM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
...and let's not forget their unswerving dedication to protecting our rights as Canadian Citizens abroad, their steadfast refusal to sell out to Washington! C'mon everybody, VOTE LIBERAL!

Khadr welcome to return, says Canada -- Ottawa doesn't care, says relative

quote:
WASHINGTON—Ottawa was told that Abdul Rahman Khadr was being released from the U.S. prison camp in Guantanamo Bay, the Pentagon confirmed yesterday. But officials would not say whether there were consultations as to where Khadr would be sent.

The circumstances surrounding the release and whereabouts of the 20-year-old dual citizen of Egypt and Canada have raised more questions about the treatment of prisoners in the camp, labelled a "monstrous failure of justice" by a senior British judge yesterday.

Khadr was let go nearly four weeks ago, according to his grandmother Fatmah Elsamnah, who called a press conference in Toronto to urge Ottawa to help repatriate her grandson. She said Khadr called her Sunday from the former Yugoslavia, saying money he had borrowed in Afghanistan — where the Americans sent him — had run out.

Foreign Affairs in Ottawa says Khadr, who grew up in Scarborough and was taken into U.S. custody in Afghanistan in November, 2001, would be helped at any Canadian mission.

"He has to come to us though, we won't go chasing him," said spokesperson Reynald Doiron.

In Ottawa, prime minister-in- waiting Paul Martin said: "I have been assured that we have made it very clear to Mr. Khadr that he would be welcome back to Canada and that the full level of consular services ... are being made available to him."

[ 27 November 2003: Message edited by: majorvictory ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca