babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Globalization is good for you...

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Globalization is good for you...
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 22 June 2002 02:13 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
... now do as you're told and swallow.

Globalization and Freedom -- from the Economist

quote:

PROTESTERS from the richer bits of the world are preparing to descend on the Canadian Rockies next week, to make mischief at and around the G8 summit. They, along with the world's political leaders and others concerned with economic growth, would do well to give their custom to one locally sourced product: the Fraser Institute's Economic Freedom of the World report, an annual publication that aims to measure economic freedoms in 123 countries. It ranks each country according to how seriously various factors are taken, including small government and low taxes, protection of private property from expropriation and monetary debasement, and the ability to trade freely with other countries.

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 22 June 2002 02:22 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
including small government and low taxes, protection of
private property from expropriation and monetary debasement, and the
ability to trade freely with other countries.

So, this is what the Fraser Institute defines as "freedom"? So, little things like, oh, freedom of thought, belief, opinion, conscience, religion, and peaceful assembly... those aren't so important? Interesting... really says a lot about the minds (or lack thereof) behind the Fraser Institute, doesn't it?

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
David Stapley
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2631

posted 22 June 2002 02:55 AM      Profile for David Stapley        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The authors note that, beyond making people richer, economic freedoms also make them politically freer, citing a strong link between economic freedoms and democracy. Hong Kong, as ever, is the exception-though not a willing one-to the rule.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 22 June 2002 03:59 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, more democratic. Of course. So China must be the most democratic nation on earth next to Colombia.
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 22 June 2002 02:21 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
meades wrote:

quote:
So, this is what the Fraser Institute defines as "freedom"? So, little things like, oh, freedom of thought, belief, opinion, conscience, religion, and peaceful assembly... those aren't so important? Interesting... really says a lot about the minds (or lack thereof) behind the Fraser Institute, doesn't it?

Don't you get it yet? Economics doesn't serve humanity. Humanity serves economics. (Where's that sarcasm tag?)

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 22 June 2002 02:41 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My eyes hurt from rolling them after reading that article, for the same reasons as the ones posted here.

quote:
... now do as you're told and swallow.

Thanks, but for this one I'll spit.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 22 June 2002 06:44 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Singapore is free?

Economic Freedom Index

One thing I've noticed as well is that the Fraser Institute seems to be linked with the Heritage Foundation down south.

SHH
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1527

posted 22 June 2002 07:03 PM      Profile for SHH     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Maybe I'm missing something.
quote:
As it turns out, the poorest fifth of the population in all the countries studied receives around 2-3% of national income. This is true (see chart) both for more laisser-faire economies and for more restrictive places where policies are designed, say their leaders, to protect the poor from the forces of globalisation.

The poor themselves are not likely to give thanks for the protection. For the less economically free a country, the worse off are its poorest members. In 2000 the income of the poorest tenth in the least free countries was around $728. Meanwhile, the poorest 10% in the freest countries did nearly ten times as well, with an average income of $7,017. And the elites in the most closed economies take as large a share of national income as those in the freest.

Are those that find this "report" unappetizing suggesting this assertion is false?

From: Ex-Silicon Valley to State Saguaro | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 22 June 2002 10:23 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've always found it amusing that the Heritage Front in Canada has such a close name to the more respectable Heritage Foundation in the USA.

For those who don't know, the Heritage Front is a virulently right-wing white supremacist organization in Canada.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hibachi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 956

posted 23 June 2002 12:14 PM      Profile for hibachi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, the HF is the home of Wolfgang Droege, who supported the Reform Party at its inception.
From: Toronto, Ont. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir-Canuck-Of-The-North
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2702

posted 23 June 2002 03:53 PM      Profile for Sir-Canuck-Of-The-North        Edit/Delete Post
Hibachi your point? If Stalin was alive he'd support the communist and the NDP, God some of the thing I read here.

And I thought Stock Day said stupid things.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 23 June 2002 06:03 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
plonkity-plonk!
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 23 June 2002 06:13 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
But surely, 'lance, you are too hasty.

Now, just stop and think about SCOTN's conceit there. Think of how productive a model it could be for reflection on babble.

For instance: If Cardinal Richelieu were alive, whom would he support? Well: whom? When did you last ask yourself that question? Eh? Eh? Bet it's been a while, 'lance ...

The possibilities are endless. If Henry VIII were alive; if Joan of Arc were alive; if Tycho Brahe were alive; if Savonarola were alive ... (Well: Savonarola -- we probably know about him, eh?)

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 23 June 2002 06:19 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
For instance: If Cardinal Richelieu were alive, whom would he support? Well: whom? When did you last ask yourself that question? Eh? Eh? Bet it's been a while, 'lance ...

Good Gawd, skdadl, yer right. But nemmine Richelieu -- who would the old Grey Eminence (can't recall his name at present, I'm sorry to say) support? That's the real question, no?

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tribute To Our Times
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2602

posted 23 June 2002 06:25 PM      Profile for Tribute To Our Times   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
SCOTN, where is all this hostility coming from?

Also, I'm sure you have more to talk about than just Sovietism.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 23 June 2002 06:32 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
who would the old Grey Eminence (can't recall his name at present, I'm sorry to say) support? That's the real question, no?

(I thought that Richelieu was the old eminence grise, the original, no? Am I missing another joke? Again?)

Jake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 390

posted 23 June 2002 11:57 PM      Profile for Jake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The economist is IMHO a comic book, like Captain Marvel et al not to be taken seriously.
quote:
The poor themselves are not likely to give thanks for the protection. For the less
economically free a country, the worse off are its poorest members. In 2000 the income
of the poorest tenth in the least free countries was around $728. Meanwhile, the
poorest 10% in the freest countries did nearly ten times as well, with an average
income of $7,017. And the elites in the most closed economies take as large a share
of national income as those in the freest.

Should we really celebrate when some people in our FREE countries actually ENJOY the luxurious lifestyle afforded by an income of $7017 in "the freest countries" like say Canada or perhaps the USA.
I am reminded of the memos I used to get from my super in about 1955 wishing me and my family compliments of the season and advising me "that effective Jan 1 you will enjoy an increase of $9 per month". Yes that was the exact wording!
I guess we or at least those who take the Economist seriously havent evolved much since then.

Jake

[ June 24, 2002: Message edited by: Jake ]

From: the recycling bin | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca