FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Racism in Israel

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Racism in Israel
goodgoditsnottrue
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2401

posted 19 June 2002 05:07 AM      Profile for goodgoditsnottrue   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"It's not that I'm racist," said Uri Michaeli, the head of the committee controlling the nicest part of the French Hill neighborhood. "But just as I'm against ultra-Orthodox Jews living in the middle of a secular neighborhood, so I feel that Arabs should not come and live in the middle of a Jewish neighborhood. That's not healthy."
Lakesh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2404

posted 19 June 2002 11:36 AM      Profile for Lakesh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Quelle surprise!! Israel is not a utopia. Like Canada, the United States and dozens of other democracies peppered amongst its populace are bigots. And your point is?
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 19 June 2002 11:46 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The sad thing about this is that I've seen many places where Jewish and Arab populations tend to band together (thinking of a particular neighbourhood I know in the East End of Paris, and parts of Côte-des-Neiges, etc. in Montreal) because of similar dietary laws, and (though this is one of those bloody "positive stereotypes" like Asians are good at maths) a thirst for knowledge...
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
David Kyle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1530

posted 19 June 2002 11:59 AM      Profile for David Kyle     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Don't forget the Irish Catholic and Protestant community that live peacefully together in Newfoundland.

No fire bombings, assassinations, or military occupation.

Now back to this thread....what was the point?

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 19 June 2002 12:03 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I guess the point is, in my humble opinion, to be the brunt of racism does not make you immune from practicing racism. Oh how civilized the 'free' world is.
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lakesh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2404

posted 19 June 2002 06:06 PM      Profile for Lakesh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I guess the point is, in my humble opinion, to be the brunt of racism does not make you immune from practicing racism. Oh how civilized the 'free' world is.
I agree and I assume you might be referring to:

1. The publication of the notorious anti-Semitic Protocols of the Elders of Zion throughout the Arab world

OR

2. The calumny of the Blood libel suggesting that Jews require the blood of non-Jews for ritual purposes which resurfaced from the mouth of the Syrian defence Minister, Mustafa Tlas, and more recently from a medical professor in an article in the mainstream Saudi newspaper, Al Riyadh.

OR

3. The mufti of Jerusalem, Sheikh Ikrima Sabri who told the New York Times in March 2000:

quote:
We believe the number of six million is exagerrated. The Jews are using this issue, in many ways, also to blackmail the Germans financially.

Yes your statement is quite true.

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Lakesh ]

Klaus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2431

posted 19 June 2002 08:35 PM      Profile for Klaus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Racism is prevelant in all strata of society. To single out Israel is not only wrong but it must lead to ask what the motivation of the thread really is.

Why just Israel? Why not Canada, United States or as lakesh points out why not discuss racism in some of the more less progressive Arab regimes?

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 19 June 2002 10:04 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Lakesh you read what I wrote. What is it that you do not understand?
Klaus, saying one thing does not mean there is not racism elsewhere. The subject I believe, Racism in Israel.

Lakesh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2404

posted 19 June 2002 10:37 PM      Profile for Lakesh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Lakesh you read what I wrote. What is it that you do not understand?
Klaus, saying one thing does not mean there is not racism elsewhere. The subject I believe, Racism in Israel.
I know what you wrote. What I don't know is why you wrote it.

Why do you feel Israel should be centered out for this discussion given all the repressive Arab regimes in the Middle East where racsism runs rampant? Surely that desrves much more of your attention.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 19 June 2002 10:43 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Because that is the name of the bloody thread! If you want to start a thread on racism in another country do exactly what ggint did. We will reply.
Lakesh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2404

posted 20 June 2002 01:07 AM      Profile for Lakesh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Because that is the name of the bloody thread! If you want to start a thread on racism in another country do exactly what ggint did. We will reply.
I get the thread clersal. I'm asking a more philosophical question. Perhaps you might wish to ponder on it. Night.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 20 June 2002 01:24 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Lakesh: What it looks like to me is you deliberately misinterpreted clersal's statement in order to try and score some cheap rhetorical brownie points.

Shame on you. You're a better debater than that.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 20 June 2002 01:33 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Okay Lakesh. I will give you my philisophical idea.

First of all, what happened in World War II was horrendous. It had an enormous impact on me. I then look at other groups that have suffered racism. Remember, in my mind racism is something that always has the potential but not always the means to massacre a lot of people. Here we have two groups that are both racist towards each other.

I think this thread was probably born as the Palestine -Israel question is on everyones tongues. Is Israel trying to get more land as perhaps they feel that the Palestinians are doing fuck all about it? Maybe, so the fact of Israel being the 'agressor' has nothing to do with racism but for power? Nevertheless there is an equal underlying racism on both sides.

I have now arrived at my philisophical idea. Racism breeds violence no matter who you are.

That is it kiddo.

I believe that all threads on the Israel-Palestinian thing have been oriented on the political ramifications and the rest is unimportant for the particular subject.

I have been here a bit longer than you Lakesh and I have never detected even a whiff of racism and the like here.

Just looked back and did check on your number. You are a relative newbie. I really am sorry that you feel that Babble possibly is....It isn't. One thing that Babble has is a strong common sense core. Check it out.

markhoffchaney
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 817

posted 20 June 2002 03:47 AM      Profile for markhoffchaney     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Myself I hear an awful lot about the anti-semitism in the middle east and for that I am glad. However I do rarely hear about it coming from the direction of Isreal.

For a long time I was under the impression that Isreal was the only victim of racism and religous intolerence in the region. As if palestinians shared equal and voting rights within Isreals borders. Which maybe they do. I am however, until corrected, doubtful.

So whenever someone reports on how racism goes both ways in that part of the world, (and I am beginning to think that that is the best way of describing the middle east, THAT PART OF THE WORLD), and that Isreal is less than the shining beacon of tolerance and democracy that I am otherwise led to believe I am grateful and relieved to know that my view of the world remains intact.

Assholes abound everywhere. Fucking cockroaches.

And know for my contribution to the demystification of Isreal. A special report to the CBC by the funny Macdonald brother, (that would be Neil), they showed a settler saying, and I paraphrase cause I can't quite remember the exact words: I don't know why they (the palestinians) are so upset. We treat our servants well, so what's the problem?

Assholes abound everywhere.

Lakesh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2404

posted 21 June 2002 10:15 PM      Profile for Lakesh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Clersal. Thanks for your honest analysis. It is worth considering.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca