babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Views from, and of, settlers

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Views from, and of, settlers
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 28 May 2002 04:33 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I am not just a "settler" here. I am also easily identifiable as a recent American transplant. With my dearth of Hebrew language skills, my Midwestern accent, and my lack of Middle Eastern aggressiveness, Israelis in stores and on the bus often ask me how long I have been here. Almost two years, I now answer proudly (but also sheepishly, if I have failed to understand someone's basic Hebrew!). It does not take long for the questioner to do the math in his head. Are you crazy? he asks. Who would come here now with all of our problems?

A settler's story

quote:
I knew where to put the blame after perusing a few of the myriad "Crisis in the Middle East" chat sites. The picture was clear. People around the world think Israelis should be held to a higher moral standard than Palestinians. That's OK. Israel, as a democracy, wouldn't want to be judged by the same criteria as people who support terrorism.

But it means that all our past sins keep popping up to bite us in the butt. And you would be surprised at how many of the sinners came from Brooklyn.

Blame Brooklyn

goodgoditsnottrue
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2401

posted 28 May 2002 04:58 AM      Profile for goodgoditsnottrue   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
And you would be surprised at how many of the sinners came from Brooklyn.

Not I.

SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 28 May 2002 09:45 AM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Interesting articles clockwork. Thanks.
From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 28 May 2002 11:34 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've been meaning to point out for a long time the irony of newscasts in which people with Brooklyn or Parisian French accents explain how they are defending their "homeland" from Palestinians who, when interviewed, always need a translator to decipher their incomprehesible Biblical language.
From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca